Archery rediscovered

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Amazing skills.

Interesting video. Good post.

Yes, I've seen it before. Made an impression in our pen & paper RPG group.

I've never seen this before.
I can only hope someone will make a proper archer videogame based on this!

On the other hand. A Response to Lars Andersen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDbqz_07dW4
I watched it till they bring out mythbusters as a proof for something. For god's sakes…
It's like debunking Däniken claims. One charlatan feels called out to talk about another.
Do we need to watch such videos for all sorts of staged acrobatics?

First vid, of course filled with "spice up the show with nonsensical sources" crap, unlike the second vid, is at least fun to watch.
And when something is fun, it's just cries to be used on screen. We need that first vid on TV, in movies or in games.
That other one? Ban it! :D

Mythbusters PROVED that you can't get electrocuted by peeing on the live rail More power to them I'd say! :biggrin:

I dare to say Douglas Adams pretty much correctly described Mythbusters show within his guide masterpiece about language translation creature:
The Babel fish is small, yellow, leechlike, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy received not from its own carrier but from those around it. It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. It then excretes into the mind of its carrier a telepathic matrix formed by combining the conscious thought frequencies with nerve signals picked up from the speech centers of the brain which has supplied them. The practical upshot of all this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language. The speech patterns you actually hear decode the brainwave matrix which has been fed into your mind by your Babel fish.

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the NON-existence of God.

The argument goes like this:
`I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'
`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'
`Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly disappears in a puff of logic.
`Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys, but that didn't stop Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as the central theme of his best-selling book, "Well, That about Wraps It Up for God."

Meanwhile, the poor Babel fish, by effectively removing all barriers to communication between different races and cultures, has caused more and bloodier wars than anything else in the history of creation.

Personally, I found the video rather to consist to nearly 100 % of just bragging - in an "non-bragging" way, so to say.

Guy is a trick shooter pretending to be a re-discoverer of an ancient art.

Doesnt he hold the record for being the fastest shot?

If he's fast and precise - what does it matter that he's a "trick shooter"? What else is there? Grace?

that's just sick.... I mean I've tried archery quite some times and....

If he's fast and precise - what does it matter that he's a "trick shooter"? What else is there? Grace?

It doesn't. But his misleading claims do. What else is there? In trick and sport shooting - nothing. But in hunting with a bow or using bow as a weapon? How about effectiveness?

It doesn't. But his misleading claims do. What else is there? In trick and sport shooting - nothing. But in hunting with a bow or using bow as a weapon? How about effectiveness?

If you're fast and precise, how's that not effective?

It's not effective against armoured targets according to the other video.

Are you saying "trick shooting" is how Lars would go about piercing an armored target? It doesn't seem like he would have much of a problem hitting one using a more traditional approach.

But his claims about the placement of quivers and arrows seem to make a lot of sense to me.

Watch the second video DArt. As it was pointed out, for his archery feats Lars is using lightweight bows which, in most of the cases, aren't even fully drawn. It gives him speed and accuracy but not stopping/penetrating/killing power of a heavier and fully drawn bows.

But his claims about the placement of quivers and arrows seem to make a lot of sense to me.
It would have been really nice if you bothered to watch the second video since I really don't feel like repeating rebukes included there.
Especially that the points you picked might make sense to you but are also erroneous.

Are you saying "trick shooting" is how Lars would go about piercing an armored target? It doesn't seem like he would have much of a problem hitting one using a more traditional approach.

I'm not saying anything really as I don't know enough about it.

According to the video however, hitting someone in full mail using Lars' techniques wouldn't even tickle.
The bows he uses would be good enough to shoot at targets or unarmoured foes however.

Regarding the placement of the quivers, the video suggests it's all situational.

Horseriders would not have the issues with back quivers that Lars showed while running in a forest for example.

Quivers were used in many ways and in some times people did or did not use quivers.

We watched this also our PnP D&D group and we thought: "OK, this guy has some cool moves and tricks, maybe he's got a point." But then after some minor investigation I found out that his claims are most likely false as the other video quite accurate describes, still that doesn't take the achievement of very nice trick shooting away!

Back
Top Bottom