Dishonored - Preview @ AtomicGamer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
There's another preview of Arkane's Dishonored over at AtomicGamer:
The mission we got to see was an assassination of a powerful lawyer who is holed up at his residence. The player had to find a way into the house, up to the top floor, and kill him, all without alerting a single guard. (The mission was not a total failure if alarms were tripped, but apparently it changes for the worse as the lawyer escapes and has to be chased on foot.) Here, though, Corvo used light and darkness to avoid the guards and took the lawyer by surprise in his chambers, finishing him off and making a daring escape off of the balcony. Guards and the city watchmen gave chase, but our assassin is a crafty type who used powerful abilities, a bit of impressive first-person melee combat, an ability to point at a nearby ledge or wall and instantly leap towards it, and a little old fashioned parkour-style clambering on rooftops and such to evade the guards.
What I liked seeing was the interesting combinations of powers and weapons that could be employed. Using the Stop Time power, Corvo could move around but his weapons' projectiles would freeze in space once they left the barrel of his flintlock-style pistol. But a few well-placed shots in this mode did wonders, as once time started back up again, several enemies would die at once from well-placed bullets that, for a second, seemed to be just floating still in mid-air.
More information.

I was looking at this earlier and I'm really quite excited about it. It feels like it will be a blend of Half-Life and Deus Ex, with a steampunk twist.

Thanks. Wasn't able to catch the Gamescom presentation. Sounds intriguing.

Last edited:
They did a presentation ? Oh my, I totally missed that …

I was looking at this earlier and I'm really quite excited about it. It feels like it will be a blend of Half-Life and Deus Ex, with a steampunk twist.

Sounds like an interesting blend of styles, and I'm a big fan of both HL and DX. I'll be watching this as well.

@Alrik: No, not in public - press-only.

I was at the GamesCom presentation, only need to write it down...

@Alrik: No, not in public - press-only.

Oh, BEEEEP. I hate these "press-only" presentations .. I hate the feeling of being excluded from something that is open only to a selected few ... Sorry, but that's just the way I am.

@Alrik: But that's how it is, unfortunately. ;)
That said, I perfectly understand your frustration, esp. since I'm not press either and therefore wasn't allowed in as well. Maybe we should all open up a gaming blog - that's all it takes these days, apparently. :D

@Myrthos: Looking forward to your summary.

I'm always turning things around for 180 degrees. That's how a lot of my creativity comes from.

So, I thought, why not make a place where business visitors are NOT allowed to enter ?

The only problem is that they could easily switch and demand they are "private viitors" there ... That must be forbidden as well ...

I know this is nonsense - but I do like asking what's behind structures ... And at one point they might have become so much "hardened" they might hinder evolution ... Generally speaking.

It's like ... "don't stick to conventions just because they exist".

You are being silly. If there are 50.000 visitors and 1 percent is interested. How do you organize to have a face to face with 500 people on a single day?
Besides, the assumption is that you can reach more people through one person writing an article about your game, which is why they invite press only. That said I don't think that all who visited on press day will actually write an article.

Back
Top Bottom