Last game you finished, tell us about it

Arcanum
I finally finished this bugger. It has been on my shelf for nearly 10 years now, and I have started it many times, yet I never actually got to the end until now.

I take it that most people here have played this flawed masterpiece of a game. Even though it has quite a lot of bugs, the combat is relatively uninteresting, and the game is poorly balanced, it somehow still manages to be one of the true CRPG gems.

The game has an interesting and very well crafted setting. A lot of time was obviously spent on creating it, and each region has its own history, and everything works together in a very logical way. While the conflict between magic & technology is a constant of the setting, the political conflicts go a lot deeper than that. The different religions also seem to have a logical place in the world, and they all mesh together. It would seem like even the minor religions were given a lot of attention, in order for them to work with the setting.

And that is the thing that makes this game stand out: The setting. The main story is alright, but nothing ground breaking, combat (as I said earlier) is not very interesting, but exploring the setting, learning about the different kingdoms and their history, learning the beliefs of the different civilizations, it all makes the game feel incredibly rewarding.

Psychonauts

If you have the slightest of interest in platformers, make sure Psychonauts is the next game that you will download from GoG. I haven't played much platformers, but this one is easily and by far, the best. Perfect art direction and character designing, a very engaging and sometimes thought provoking story ( going into minds of the people and see their fears and memories to understand what made them the person they are now… very unique concept for a game as you can see ) and most important of all, an enjoyable game-play and extremely well designed levels are tha main things that make Psychonauts one of the games that I will always remember and adore. If you like collecting stuff in your games, well then I guess Psychonauts is a no brainer. Because this game provides it in the best way possible, There are lots of item you can collect throughout the game and they are not so hard to find to make you abandon them entirely and also not so easy to find to make them feel cheap.
In the end, I have to say Psychonauts is a true classic title and it's one of those games that will be always remembered by the people who play it. The ending of the game clearly shows that there was a sequel planned for it. But due to the commercial failure of the game, it didn't happen. Hope if the sequel is going to be made someday, it also gets released for PC too.

Score: 8.7/10

Gemini Rue

GR is a great homage to 90s adventure games. Although it's not in the same league with them in terms of puzzles, but the story and its presentation is arguably better than most of them. GR might not leave a great first impression, but after some point, it gets really interesting and you really want to know what happens next. Also this game has the best plot twist I have ever seen. ( Even better delivered and more surprising than the plot twist in Bioshock or Kotor. ) So although GR puzzles are not very memorable and unique, but the greatly written story of the game truly redeems it and makes it something absolutely worth playing for any adventure fan, especially in ths generation which adventure games are officially considrered dead by many people.

Score: 8.1/10

BTW, from now on, if I get the chance to post here again, I only write about the RPGs I finish and not every single game.

Drakensang: The River of Time

A fun game, very reminiscent of Neverwinter Nights. The story was fun, despite feeling a bit strung out at times. The Dark Eye ruleset was overwhelming at first, but it proved easy enough to overcome any mistakes in character customization through more than ample amounts of 'leveling points'. Much much better pacing than the original Draksensang.

Phileasson's Secret
Just a very longwinded, uninspired expansion. While The River of Time is a lesson in how sequels can indeed be better than the original, this DLC is precisely the opposite - making you question just how long you really have to endure until you wrap it up.

One thing that both TRoT and its DLC have in common, however, is very well-balanced boss battles. Even when I coasted along in prior areas, thinking I was too high level for the content, the boss fights would surprise me with how easily they could go south if I did not pay attention.

Bastion_Boxart.jpg

Bastion

Bastion's developers knew what they were doing and that's probably the reason why this game holds the player's interest till it lasts. It has a unique style, some neat ideas and also a very good pace and presentation.

Story of the game is about a world destroyed by an event called calamity and a hero called " The Kid " who tries to restore it by creating a safe haven ( Bastion ) with the help of the game's narrator " Rucks " . Story of Bastion doesn't make you wonder what happens next, but it serves its purpose as creating an excuse for the events that happen in the game.

Bastion has nice graphics and some backgrounds and sceneries look nice, but modelling of the characters and enemies is somehow unappealing or I even dare to say, ugly. Also some animations like walking of the main character is inappropriate and could be done better. But overall, in terms of visuals, Bastion is an acceptable arcade game.

Bastion's soundtracks could be done a lot better. They are not memorable and they don't make you want to listen to them more than you already do during the game which is kinda disappointing. Because this game could really use some high quality soundtracks. Of course the current ones are not bad in any way, just not anything particular.

But perhaps the weakness of the soundtracks are covered with the game's great voice acting. There is only one character that talks in the game ( except for another one which speaks shortly near the end. ) and that is the narrator. Simply put, his voice acting is great. One of the game's unique ideas related to this matter is dynamic narrating. At some points, narration is based on what actions you do. For example, at the start of the game, when you get your hands on your first weapon, the hammer, if you destroy some objects around it, narrator says something like: " and the kid rages around for a while. " Although it only happens at certain points and there isn't much variety in it, but still it gives a nice feeling to the game.

Fortunately, the part which Bastion truly shines in it is game-play. The controls are great and you can run around, block, evade and aim pretty fast and efficient. There are 11 weapons ( ranged and melee ) in the game and all of them can be upgraded 5 times. Although there are some weapons that are absolutely stronger than the other ones, but there is a fairly good balance between them and all of the weapons come to use at some point.

This game is basically a role playing game, but it somehow works different than the other RPGs. ( While keeping a good amount of depth. ) The difference is that your power is highly dependent on what kind of weapon you use and how upgraded it is and leveling up isn't very useful ( and also it happens in long periods. At the end of the game, I was only level 7. ) By leveling up, you get +2 max health and a new slot for putting a spirit ( some items that give you special bonuses ) in it. But there are 3 or 4 spirits that truly make a difference in the game and although other ones add some minor bonuses, but lack of them doesn't have much impact.

Bastion is basically a very easy game and there is no difficulty level to choose at the start, but this is the source of the games's another neat idea called customizable difficulty. After a while, you get a building called shrine. In shrine, you can enable and disable idols. There are 10 idols ( they becomes available as you progress. ) and enabling each one makes the enemies harder to defeat in a certain way. But the thing that I really liked about this system is that unlike other games, Bastion rewards you with more XP and fragments ( currency in Bastion ) if you increase the difficulty. Sometimes, the game becomes quite challenging with more than 7 idols enabled. ( although not anything that you can't pass ) I think this kind of system should be used by many other games.

Bastion is a very well made game and I see a bright future for supergiant games if they keep the quality and level of care in their future works in the same degree as Bastion. If you are looking for a title to be blown away with it, it might not be the best choice, but if you are looking for some fun and a game to spend some time with it without feeling it was wasted, Bastion is currently a great choice.

Score: 8.1/10

Elven legacy: Ranger
If you have not played Elven legacy or fantasy wars this post might not make a whole lot of sense. As it is an expansion, I won't bother explaining the basics.

Ranger is the first expansion for the game Elven legacy, and is quite different from the core game. Where the core game was quite linear (you had a few places where you could pick one mission or the other, but apart from that, you had little in the way of choices), Ranger usually allows you to pick from several different missions, which you can do in any order. It was not until the end of the game that these options disappeared. Overall this was an interesting take on the Panzer general style tactical game formula, and one that worked quite well.

Not everything is great though. While the original Elven legacy had a very well crafted and balanced campaign, which while a bit on the short side had a very nice difficulty curve. The game was challenging, but never unfair, and the difficulty only spiked in one place. In Ranger the difficulty curve is not steep enough, the game starts relatively easy, and never gets much harder. Getting gold on most missions (this is, finish the mission fast enough) was very easy, and even as a first time player, I managed to get gold on most missions with several turns to spare. The game also showers you with gold and units, so you can just sacrifice new units on any mission where you get a few new ones, without really having to worry about long term consequences. Units still gain experience, but that only means that you have to take good care of your units that you plan to level up. Also, the heroes did seem more powerful this time around, in particular the main hero, who was a killing machine, who had access to plenty of very good skills (that he did not have to use, because of the low difficulty). And because it was so easy to get gold on missions, you also end up with a whole lot of magical items, which can further enhance units and heroes.

Still, it was not a bad game, and if you enjoyed Elven Legacy, then you should play this one. The core mechanics are still just as solid as they were back in Fantasy wars, and the story had its moments (though this is not a game that you play for the deep story, but for the deep tactical gameplay). If I ever replay this, it will be on hard (in Elven legacy normal felt just right).

Alpha Protocol

Fun game, but definitely with some shortcomings. That being said, I think the mind-boggling choice and consequence tree makes up for any of its issues.

My Review (which I originally posted on Gamespot)

Alpha Protocol was a highly anticipated spy RPG developed by Obsidian. In many ways, it is appropriate that a company known for creating deep, complex, and buggy-as-all-Hell RPG's developed Alpha Protocol. Initial reviews seemed to confirm that this game was not much different, and was indeed buggy as could possibly be imagined upon release. Since its release, the game has been patched to the hilt, and has gone on to sell for as low as $2 on Steam (I nabbed it for $3.75 nearly a year ago). And I will say, with authority, that this is a game that every single person should play completely through at least once.

That is not to say that Alpha Protocol is a perfect game, it's not even really a great game due to some issues, and probably even hardly qualifies as a good game in plenty of ways. Regardless, this is one of the most complex games that has been developed or that probably will be developed for quite some time. These types of games are increasingly becoming a rare breed of game because the high level of complexity in their design invites those damned little bugs that were so prevalent when the title was released. The average game player, though they are generally willing to suspend all disbelief watching something like Transformers at the theater, will not tolerate design hiccups in their games. The point? We may never see a major developer release a game with this level of complexity again, or at least we likely won't in the foreseeable future.

The high level of complexity I mentioned comes from Alpha Protocol's system of choices and consequences. Every choice you make in the game will shape the story in a radically different way. The sheer amount of choices made that will change the game is truly mind-boggling. If ten people were to play through the game once, each one would likely have a much different experience.

That's not to say the experience will always be good. As fun as it is to sneak around and take out opponents from behind, there are some irritating parts of Alpha Protocol too. Many reviews have mentioned the boss fights and unusual difficulty scaling in Alpha Protocol and these certainly stood out in my time with the game. The boss fights often border on ridiculous, and undermine what is an otherwise believable world. This archaic type of gaming imported from console games of yesteryear (NES days) is certainly not something that completely ruins the game by any means, but it dampens the mood slightly. Perhaps the most ridiculous boss fight moment was the Russian mob boss, who seemed to also have incredible strength and the ability to take bullets like Superman. I thought our goal, as a spy, was to take out these people quick and clean, but clearly some of them are not people at all, they are supervillains hailing from planet Krypton! Most of Alpha Protocol is incredibly easy and I probably only died a handful of times, but there are moments, such as the aforementioned Russian mob boss, where the difficulty will scale up surprisingly and the game can become quite hard for a moment. Again, this is not a game-breaking problem, but it will probably cause some slight frustration.

While the game is a RPG, it is only really considered one because of the inclusion of a skill system and the choices and consequences that I mentioned earlier, and mostly plays as an action-espionage game (though your shooting accuracy is somewhat governed by your skills). As with most RPG's, you gain experience from defeating enemies and accomplishing missions. In Alpha Protocol, you use this experience to gain new skills which can prove to be quite useful. There are a wide variety of skills, ranging from sneaking skills that will allow you to become invisible for short periods, hand to hand combat skills making you a deadly force in near encounters, weapons skills that will make you as dangerous as a modern day Josey Wales, and several others. Despite the RPG elements, the game plays pretty well as a standard sort of action game, just don't expect Modern Warfare type of mechanics here. The game also allows you to select missions somewhat in an order of your choosing.

The story of Alpha Protocol is framed with your character revealing the events he took part in to some nefarious stranger and will jump from moments where you are held in a detention cell of some sort to your safehouse, where you will interact with other characters from the game, equip yourself, and take on a mission of your choosing. This framing wasn't especially necessary or helpful to the story, and at some points it forces you in a position to react or respond to the stranger without really knowing how you should, since you will not know how he ties in to the story until much later. Another issue with Alpha Protocol comes in the conversation wheel. The game has adapted a method of choosing dialog options and making choices based on a conversation wheel similar to what is found in a game like Mass Effect. You must quickly select a topic from the wheel which will determine how your character will respond. This makes the game easier to play with a Xbox 360 controller (though it was not particularly advantageous for me as I used the good old mouse and keyboard) and helps keep the pacing more brisk, but it also can cause you to make a choice that you probably didn't really want to, either because you didn't have enough time to consider what would be said or because you expected your response to be different based upon the topic you selected. To explain this, I will describe a situation similar to one which I encountered that resulted in me making a game-altering decision that I had no intention to make. While talking to a potential romantic interest, she described a difficult decision she had to make in order to walk a fine line of protecting herself and protecting me. The choices I could select were something along the lines of "Pragmatic", "Accusing", "It's okay", and "get out". I assumed get out meant my character would tell the romantic interest that she should get herself out of the situation and go find a safe place to hide, so I selected that option. Instead, my character began to chew her out and threw her out of the apartment - literally saying "get the Hell out of here!" rather than the "you should get yourself out of this situation" that I had expected. That was not the reaction I wanted and it ended up altering the game in a way I didn't want.

Regardless of some of these rather slight complaints, the game succeeds where it is most important. It provides the player with a highly malleable story and game world that can be uniquely shaped by the decisions you make. Considering the sheer amount of possibilities that are offered, this is a game that you can play through multiple times as a different personality and that makes it all worthwhile. Alternatively, you and your friends could each play through the game once and compare how vastly different your experiences were. This is "role playing" in the truest sense, and it is a game that every single person should play through at least once.

Next games to be played

I am currently nearing the end of another playthrough of Fallout 2 (my favorite game along with the original Fallout, and I haven't played it in probably a decade) and am about 25 hours into Gothic 2 Gold as well.

A.R.E.S: Extinction agenda
This is an indie 2d platformer, and for once one that does not involve a lot of puzzle solving (not that I mind puzzle solving, but from time to time it is fun to play something simple).

Gameplay in this game reminds me a lot of the classic game Abuse, which was released for PC back in 95. Well, actually only the controls actually reminds me of that game. Aiming is mouse driven, you put your cursor in the direction that you want to fire, while movement is done with the keyboard. The game is simple enough you jump from platform to platform, gather powerups (and components for powerups), shoot enemies and move through the level. There are some places where you need to find keys scattered through the level, but it is rather straight forward, as there is usually only one way to go.

The translation was a bit spotty. While I was unable to find any actual mistakes (like spelling errors or poor grammar), some of the dialogue was a bit unclear as to what it actually referred to. This was not a story driven game though, so it was not a big issue. And the game was made by a small team from Thailand, who probably did not have enough resources to hire professional translators. They probably did their best, and the game does not suffer much from this very minor issue (and it is still better than what many "professional" translators have done).

The major issue with the game is its length. 104min, according to steam, and that includes loading times and times when I had to turn off the game before I had managed to reach the next savepoint. This is not a lot for a first time player. The game was also rather easy, something that was made even worse by the fact that you could craft your own repair kits (you play as a robot, so these things heal you) on the spot. This made it possible to just brute force any boss that could in theory have been tricky.

Still not a bad game, but I feel that its price of 10€ is a bit too steep for its length.

Deus Ex: Invisible War

What I suffer to get the full experience for when I buy DE:HR...
;-)

Not as bad as I thought, but it is one of the hallmarks of consolisation with ridiculous small maps leading to constant loadscreens.

Before that I finished Alpha Protocol, highly enjoyable but important to remember that it is an RPG when you scream at the not so smooth control and camera.

Now, kings bounty:legends

C

As I currently have the cold of the century (or that is at least how it feels, I think I said the same thing last time I had a really nasty cold), I've had more time than usual to play games.

Mega man 10
If you have played any other 8bit mega man game, you know what this is about, because it is very similar to the early 8bit mega man games of old.

For anyone who has been living under a rock since the late 80's, Mega man is a 2d platformer, with a slight twist to the usual formula. You are free to choose which order to play the stages (all but the last few), and at the end of each stage, there is a boss which has a weapon that you can get by killing it. Then you have a linear path to the end boss, the evil Dr. Wiley.

The story in Mega man 10 is silly, though it is obvious that the creators of the game knew that it was silly. Roboenza has stuck (which is like influenza, but only robots gets it). But that is totally irrelevant, because what matters are the levels & bosses. And the levels are well designed and challenging. While Mega man 9 was a bit on the easy side, being easier than the original 3, and at roughly the same difficulty level as 4, Mega Man 10 ups the challenge a fare bit. In fact, I think this might be the hardest Mega Man to date. Still, as with all Mega Man games, the challenge is never overwhelming, you just need to be on your toes. Most of the levels contains familiar dangers, spikes, bottomless pits, evil robots that wants to kill you and so on, and they are all used in a familiar way. The robot masters (bosses) themselves are a bit more creative, but not groundbreaking, and many of them are rather silly (again obviously this was intended, I don't think anyone actually thought that a robot with a hand pump on its head would be particularly intimidating). Their attack patterns are well thought out, challenging, but fare. And their weaknesses usually make sense (though not always).

The difficulty is increased during the final stretch of the game, with the first level of Wily's castle being the hardest, due to 3 "boss" encounters, all of which has 3 components each, all of which has their own weakness. The rest of the bosses in the castle are also quite challenging, by Mega Man standards. The final boss was, as usual, a disappointing pushover though.

Graphics & sound are distinctly NES-style. This game could most likely have been made on an NES, with only the company logos being too complex for the old 8-bit machine to handle. While the quality is low, the nostalgia value is high.

Overall, I think this was one of the better Mega Man games to date. I still think that 2 & 3 are better (3 is, in my opinion, the best Mega Man game to date), though the increased difficulty was a step in the right direction. This game is, after all, aimed at a very specific target audience, the people who grew up with games like this, and so it was a good idea to make it in such a way that it would challenge those people.

Xenoblade chronicles
Xenoblade is the latest game from the people (but not the companies) behind Xenogears & Xenosaga. You can see the similarities, although the game is its own beast, and is not set in the same universe as either of those games.

Story & setting

Xenoblade takes place on a world consisting (as far as we know at least) of endless oceans. The only land consists of two gigantic titans, who stand frozen in place, locked in their final moment of life. The two titans are the Bionis (where biological life exists) and the mechonis (where mechanical life exists). As the game starts, people from the two titans are at war with each other. In fact, the game starts right in the middle of a battle, the turning point, where the people of bionis finally manages to beat back the attackers. This section works as a bit of a tutorial, and a rather well crafted one I might add.

Skip ahead a year, and the world is a far more peaceful place. No mechons have been seen for a while, and the people of bionis are rebuilding what was destroyed during the war. Of course, peace was never meant to last, and after the main character and his two friends have been properly introduced, the mechons attack again, and you just barely managed to beat them back, with the help of a very special sword, the Monado, the only man portable weapon that can reliably hurt mechons. After this, the main character and his friend sets out to avenge all those who died during the conflict.

Sadly the story is rather predictable. It follows the same basic structure as Xenogears, Final Fantasy 6, 7, 8, Tales of symphonia and so on, with the plot twist being placed at almost exactly the same point in the story, and being of a similar nature. Really, if you have played one of those games (or any of the other countless JRPGs out there, I guess), then you will see the plot twist from a mile away. In fact it is not only the big plot twist that is incredibly predictable, but most parts of the plot will go down roughly as their counterparts did in the other games mentioned above.

Gameplay
Gameplay feels like a mix between a WRPG & a JRPG. Combat is in real time, and there are no random encounters. You have several skills to use during combat, all of which are places in a bar at the bottom of the screen, and which you can use while they are not on cooldown. The different characters all have their own skills, and most have far more than fits into the skillbar, so you have to choose combinations that works with the party as a whole. You can only have 3 active characters at any one time, but there are of course more, all with their own strengths & drawbacks. Each skill is also leveled up individually, with talent points, and there is a regular level system in there as well.

The challenge was rather low, though knowing JRPGs, that was probably a good thing. Grind was kept at a minimum, and at only one point in the game did I have to grind a bit (near the end).

The game balance was a bit odd at points though. There were a few more powerful enemies in each region (think of them as elite mobs), and while they were for the most part easy enough, I found a few which had incredibly overpowered attacks. At one point I found an enemy that could wipe my entire party (even though they outleveled it) in a single unavoidable attack, yet the actual boss that was nearby, which had a higher level than my party, was a cakewalk and dealt less damage with its basic attacks than the "elite mob" did.

Sound & graphics
The sound does overall hold a rather high quality, with fitting music, decent enough sound effects, and rather good voice acting (which is distinctly British). Voice acting is often a problem with JRPGs in my experience, and this game has the best voice acting of any JRPG that I have played. It was not perfect though, and at points it did sound like someone was reading a script.

The graphics in this game is interesting. The art style is quite good (though not outstanding), and nothing looks bad. Textures don't look all that good though, as they obviously have a rather low resolution. Still, it is amazing how much they managed to push out of the Wii's hardware. There are some huge areas in this game, with things going on all over the place (water, moving trees & grass, creatures, insects flying around and so on), and yet the performance is very good. It was only when there were several enemies in combat, and some used some rather graphically intense attacks that the framerate dropped enough for it to be distracting. Still, had this game been released for a more powerful system (like the PC), it would have looked even better.

Overall the game was still good, but at 55h, it managed to overstay its welcome. There was simply not enough variety in the gameplay for it to stay fresh for 55h. 55h is by the way the time it takes to finish the game if you do roughly half the side quests, but only a handful of the side activities, and ignore all the more time consuming side aspects (like rebuilding a certain town). I guess you could easily add another 20-30h if you want to be a completionist. That is not something that interests me though. I guess JRPG lovers will like this game, as it breaths a breeze of fresh air into the genre, while still staying true to many of the sub-genre conventions. WRPG fanatics might still enjoy it as well, as it is different enough from most other JRPGs. Don't go out of your way trying to get the game though, it is good, but not outstanding.

Hard Reset

Think Serious Sam meets Blade Runner. If you like cyberpunk, you'll love the setting and atmosphere of Hard Reset.

It's a pure first-person shooter, so if that's not your thing then look elsewhere. Hard Reset is about combat, combat, and... combat. It's great at what it does though. I haven't had that much fun blasting my way though hordes of enemies since Serious Sam. It also had one of the most intense boss battles I've ever experienced, and I've killed a lot of bosses in my 20+ years of gaming.

The game is a bit on the short side, although there's some replayability due to weapon customization. It also had somewhat of an abrupt ending. Still, it was worth every penny, and it's a game I'll definitely replay in the future at least once.

What? Nobody's finished Skyrim yet?

pibbur, who realize he shouldn't post this, but who couldn't resist the temptation

I'm sure a lot of people have finished Skyrim by now.

I won't finish it until sometime next year :). I'm going to be doing a TES marathon, where I plan on playing through Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, + all expansions/DLCs.

Wow, I wish I had the time for such a thing!

So do I. :)

This is something I'm planning, but I don't know for sure when I'll be able to actually do it.

I've been pretty busy with RL lately, which is why I'm staying away from RPGs for the moment. It sucks to see everyone having so much fun with Skyrim and not be able to play it right now, but my GF and I are in the process of selling our house and moving to another state, so my gaming time is limited. That's why I've been sticking to shooters and such.

So do I. :)

This is something I'm planning, but I don't know for sure when I'll be able to actually do it.

I've been pretty busy with RL lately, which is why I'm staying away from RPGs for the moment. It sucks to see everyone having so much fun with Skyrim and not be able to play it right now, but my GF and I are in the process of selling our house and moving to another state, so my gaming time is limited. That's why I've been sticking to shooters and such.

I understand… It's never an easy balance - especially not with games as good as Skyrim out. I had a full week to play it - and though I can't sit down for more than ~6 hours a day without feeling like it's too much, one would think that was plenty.

But the game is so big, that I'd need at least a month to feel satiated.

Now that I'm back at work, it's a lot more limited. I'm tired when I get home, and I can't let the GF sit alone while I keep playing… So I don't get more than 1-2 hours if that.

If only I had the "gaming-stamina" of my younger days, I might actually have finished it in a week.

I guess I need to wait another 30 years for my retirement, before I get the kind of time I need ;)

Hm, I finished the main quest of Skyrim. Now I'm off to do the really important stuff: Buy all the houses, get married ... :p

I guess I need to wait another 30 years for my retirement, before I get the kind of time I need ;)

Ah, suddenly you make me feel good for getting oldish (approaching 57). Only 10 more years to go before I can dedicate my self to ... TES 7(?)

Nyah , nyah, nyah!!!

pibbur

Back
Top Bottom