Skyrim - 14 Skyrim Mods You Must Have

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
GamesRadar recommends fourteen mods we must have to make the game look like a next generation game.

A whole new world

A few weeks back, we suggested that The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim needs a next-gen re-release on the PS4 and Xbox One. Why? Because it's a vastly superior experience when playing on a gaming PC compared to current-gen consoles.

Whether or not you agree that Bethesda should put resources into a next-gen makeover, there's no denying that player-made mods have given us an infinite number of reasons to revisit those icy, dragon-infested lands.

In fact, if you have a decent gaming rig already--or are interested in building a gaming PC--you can find out right now what a next-gen console release could potentially look like. Just install the following mods, and voila--you're on the next-gen level. But keep in mind, the more mods you install, the harder the hit on your performance.
More information.

Sweet, finally a site listed my SMIM mod. Therefore, BEST LIST EVER. ;)

In before joxer...what a bugfest:p

In before joxer…what a bugfest:p
You mean he hasn't show up yet it's a miracle.:celebrate:
Sweet, finally a site listed my SMIM mod. Therefore, BEST LIST EVER. ;)
I must thank you for your mod. I started using it a few months ago and noticed the changes instantly.

Now if only someone would make a mod so the items in buildings don't randomly move on exit and entering buildings. I love when food and other items are all over the floor.

With those mods it looks beautiful...

You mean he hasn't show up yet it's a miracle.:celebrate:

I must thank you for your mod. I started using it a few months ago and noticed the changes instantly.

Now if only someone would make a mod so the items in buildings don't randomly move on exit and entering buildings. I love when food and other items are all over the floor.

What? But the poltergeists of Skyrim are a beloved part of the lore. That's what keeps knocking over my books and making tomatoes explode out of bowls on my tables right?

What? But the poltergeists of Skyrim are a beloved part of the lore. That's what keeps knocking over my books and making tomatoes explode out of bowls on my tables right?
Could be but I personally think it's a physic problem. :)

Oh, sure. Make it about yourself. Weird, supernatural stuff is happening so it must be you, right? ME! Could it just be the wind, maybe? Close the door, man!

As for Skyrim and mods, I have about 30 already installed and I'm sad to say my PC is at its limit. :( It gets a little choppy when I install some of the 2k texture packs, I'm not sure how much more my graphics card can handle!

P.S. What a bugfest!

Oh, sure. Make it about yourself. Weird, supernatural stuff is happening so it must be you, right? ME! Could it just be the wind, maybe? Close the door, man!

As I said who knows it's the great mystery of the game I tell ya. I'll pay you 500 gold coins to investigate. Will you brave the harsh world of Skyrim to solve my problem great adventure?:[

Joxer-mode on:

Until Bethesda starts being interested in fixing my imaginary bugs - I won't be spending a dime on their games (and they definitely care about that A LOT).

I'd rather spend them on hookers and cigarettes!

Oh, and crap games like DARK ;)

As I said who knows it's the great mystery of the game I tell ya. I'll pay you 500 gold coins to investigate. Will you brave the harsh world of Skyrim to solve my problem great adventure?:[

Hell no. That stuff freaks me the hell out hahaha!

Damn, this Falskaar mod looks pretty incredible, like a fully-voiced DLC but free. 20-30 hours of new gameplay, 26 new quests, a new land independent of Tamriel…

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/37994//?

12 out of the 14 "must have" are cosmetic changes (well, 13 if you include the UI one). So guess since I didn't particularly like the game in the first place, there's no hope for me.

I wonder if the majority of all TES mods are actually "fixes" - UI changes, attribute adjustments, textures & model replacements, etc.

Which may indicate that the core design isn't that great to begin with and is actually flawed?

Just a thought... :p

I wonder if the majority of all TES mods are actually "fixes" - UI changes, attribute adjustments, textures & model replacements, etc.

Which may indicate that the core design isn't that great to begin with and is actually flawed?

Just a thought… :p

Can you imagine a game that couldn't be improved in a similar way if it was as flexible when it comes to modding?

Use a FPS limiter and set It for 59 FPS or less. That should fix the problem.

When I had my 120hz monitor I couldn't even finish the intro movie. My horse and carriage would flip over or even fly away.

No issues for 100's of hours with FPS ste under 59. There is FPS limiter on nexus or you can use nvidia inspector.

Nah… My only thought is - must have? Then where is nomobrespawn mod?

Ha! they forgot about joxer's respawn hate! Myself, I like respawns for "living world" games. TES games are supposed to feel like living worlds and depopulating the world after only a short time makes it that much less so. I only wish it weren't a fixed number of days but random. There was a mod like that for OB iirc but haven't found a similar one for Skyrim. Heck, I wish Gothic had respawns. It was weird that I managed to wipe out all fauna in a place.

OT, apart from the unofficial patches, my must have mod is Duke Patrick's combat mod. I wish W3 had the same system. I even recommended him for the combat design in that amazing kickstarter isometric game (name escapes me at the moment) that had amazing physics/animation.

Alas, I'm realistic enough to realize that most players probably couldn't take the complexity (which is actually more apparent than real) of his mod.

Gothic used a great "trick". To get more mobs on the map you've cleared, you have to progress to the next chapter. Solve a quest. Unless you solve it, you won't see new mobs. Of course, new mobs are harder than the old ones. And that design worked as a charm for me.
Meanwhile, if you start Skryiming as a pacifist pumping up crafting, bertering and whatnot not touching any "chapter" as there are no chapters in fact but grinding quests called sandbox (using a word grind by developers is not something positive), you finally go to nail a mob or two to find out they've improved their fighting options (not "communication skills" but resists, health points and damage). Awsome design, I hope they get Nobel prize for it.
I'm not a masochist. So passing by a location in Skyrim I've cleared recently and getting "ambushed" in my case is too irritating. So what I do? I get pulled into it, loot everything there to discover later that I shouldn't have touched an item named "ancient book" or something as now I can't finish the goddamned quest related to it. And that's GOTY? Yea, right.

Honestly, apart from visuals and music, there is nothing in Skyrim that I can describe positively without mentioning at least one annoyance. And these "must have" mods listed above enhance what? VISUALS!
Who needs an enhancement of something that's already well done? Why fixing something that is not broken? Would you really go wash and paint your car if the motor farted and say "it's a must!".

The actual title of the article is: 14 Skyrim mods that make it look like a next-gen game, so if you're looking for balance overhauls, this is definitely not it.

I personally used, at most, one or two graphics mods when I played Skyrim. Being a Bethesda game, it demanded much more than simply a prettier tree line.

Back
Top Bottom