Divinity 2 DKS vs TW2 on the 360

oliverh72

Watchdog
Hi all,

Since Europeans have had the luxury of having both of these available for a while now, I thought I'd ask. How do they compare?

I loved TW on PC, even though I know most of it was rubbish. I had a blast anyway. I've pre-ordered TW2 for my 360, but after hearing that DKS will arrive shortly in North America for 360, I thought I'd find out from those that have played both how they stack up.

They seem similar in many ways, though perhaps DKS might be more polished. TW2 appears to be quite a lot more customizable, but I could totally be wrong about that.

I am getting an external video card for my laptop (ViDock 4 + Radeon 5770) so I'd be able to play it on that. However, since font size is an issue when you're 8 feet back from your TV (I use a 47" LCD), I prefer to use my PC for strategy gaming and I'm leaving the 360 for the RPGs.

Specifically, I'm curious about how they compare with respect to:

* exploration, adventuring
* character customization, flexibility
* general UI, ease-of-use (did the camera get tweaked in DKS after patch 2, or is that PC only? Did the inventory in TW2 get an option to reduce item sizes, or is that on PC only?)
* overall FUN. This is subjective, so I'll take opinions about why it was fun for you. :)
* voiceacting, story (from Let's Plays on YT, DKS seems quite high quality)
* and I guess graphics if you want to go into that.

Thanks!

Oliver

edit: if you'd like to compare the 360 version to the PC version of both/either, that'd be appreciated as well. :)

Last edited:
It seems DKS + TW2 is quite a rare combination. ;)

I have both on PC, though I've long been critical of the 2W series, so take that into account.

Exploration - this depends on what you like. 2W is more open (though more restricted than I expected) but DKS has more hidden items and keys in nooks and crannies. Despite looking quite hard, I haven't been able to unlock a couple of small dungeons. For me, DKS is simply more interesting.

Character customisation -pretty good in both but probably 2W. Both have lots of armour and items but 2W has more interesting magic and stealth (haven't tried either paths to any great degree, though).

UI - DKS is quite polished but 2W2 patch improved the stupid inventory icons so I don't have too many complaints either way (no experience outside PC).

Fun - DKS hands-down for me. 2W2 often felt like an MMO to me with large areas of nothing but spawned monsters. I also hated finding an empty location that magically spawned a locked chest or something only after I got the quest. 2W2 has some nice "real world" vistas but DKS uses the fantasy setting for more fantastical things. Lovis Tower and Sentinel Island (etc) are fascinating locations.

-Story, voiceacting. DKS. Both have decent but variable voiceacting - I guess it helps that I find the Cockney characters in DKS charming. DKS also has more genuine choices, with a surprising number of interesting quests for an action/RPG. Both have silly "big bad evil" main storylines, so I'm speaking more to the narrative than overarching plot.

2W2 is undoubtedly improved from 2W - for me, that took it from "crap" to "mediocre", though you feel different because you liked 2W. DKS, on the other hand, really surprised me.

I rarely argue graphics but the stupid, stupid, stupid, excessive HDR vaseline smear ruins everything in 2W2 for me. Haven't checked post patch and I admit I never liked more than a dash of HDR/bloom, if at all.

Back
Top Bottom