The Witcher - E3 Previews @ GameZone, IGN

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We've got a pair of new Witcher previews courtesy of GameZone and IGN. Here's a sample from GameZone's introductory article:
If I were to tell you that The Witcher was an RPG that features action-oriented gameplay, you'd instantly think, "Oh, it's an action/RPG." Ninety-nine percent of the time you would be right. But this is not your average RPG, your average action game, or average in any other way that a game can be. Designed as a structured (but open-ended) adventure, the player controls a dark, potentially villainous character that can do pretty much anything he wants. The interesting twist is that, rather than have his actions cause a positive or a negative effect on the main character, his choices determine what will happen to those around him.
...and then IGN has a bit more detail from the demo:
The spell effects from these powers are only one aspect of the game's impressive visuals. It's really amazing that they began working with the Aurora Engine that powered the first Neverwinter Nights so long ago. They've obviously made quite a few changes to it. The game is filled with some terrific lighting and some excellent texture work. The game has an overall darker feel than most fantasy worlds than we've seen and what's there seems very cohesive. That includes the character design, monster design, and environments. The town that Geralt was running around in was particularly impressive and had a much more lived in feel than most set pieces like this.
More information.

how can you talk so dull about this game? IF this game delivers what it says, and till now it seems so, this one is great. Finally a game that can compete with Gothic
why do I go to the same place when I click on the IGN link as when I click the first link?

Here's the IGN link, titus.

Re:- [The morality system is among the most interesting aspects,] ......... i agree completely.

Although the "morality" aspect isn't too difficult to be knitted into other game genres eg: - a strategy, straight hack & slash, covert op's, etc', it is mainly the inferred dialogue (not overly apparent) oriented rpg's where the morality suggestion and decision making dilemma's really shine and sets them on a level above others for the 'thinking' gamer. Couple this with the consequences-of-actions aspect and we have a scenario within a game where even the most level headed thinking gamer will have to work overtime, i believe The Witcher will achieve this.

I hope it will, but it's certainly not easy to make a good system for consequences and questions of morality. In fact, I've hardly ever seen it done.

I seem to recall reading that the developers behind The Witcher had actually worked with franchises like Baldur's Gate (translating it to Polish I believe), so if they've picked up a thing or two from series like that, The Witcher might just turn out to be the RPG of the year. Still hard to say though, I prefer to play the game myself before making up my mind about it.

I have to agree Maylander, psyched as I am about this game, there've been so many "almosts" and complete disappointments in recent rpg type games that it seems impossible for anyone to really get it right. I really hope The Witcher is an exception.

@Wulf: Nice new Witcher avatar. Did you get it from the Collector's Edition-to-be, Wulf? ;)

@Maylander
re: [I hope it will, but it's certainly not easy to make a good system for consequences and questions of morality. In fact, I've hardly ever seen it done.]

Though i prefer not to go into detail, it has in fact done over five and a half years ago and possibly added as a reward retrospectively. For me this implies a similar situation but as you rightly say, its hard to say just yet.

@magerette,
Thanks, it's from a screen shot of the flash site using the menu-box flipped and chained wolf head pasted in (look in equipment, sword menu surround) took just a few minutes.

Yeah Wulf, it looks less like a Disney character now!! :)

i thought his character was from hoodwinked...about as non-disney as you can get.

I doubt there's any Wulfs in the Punjab, they probably eat them!! :biggrin:

Bah. NWN already has some terrific lightning, no wonder The Witcher has them too...

The lighting (not lightning I presume) is totally different to NWN2 - it seems to be a completely different engine, so while it's not quite so dynamic, it's much better artistically.

The game has an overall darker feel than most fantasy worlds than we've seen and what's there seems very cohesive.
The town that Geralt was running around in was particularly impressive and had a much more lived in feel than most set pieces like this.

Those both quotes seems so good, i can't help it but how they describe it makes me think of how gothic felt. So this please me. I just want to hear something really new. It starts to be the same old news. I want some real NEWS.

I will keep an eye on this game. Can't wait for a demo

edit: ps: thanks for the link Magerette

Back
Top Bottom