Total War: ROME II Perfomace Problems

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Total War: ROME II is now available and I have to ask does anyone beta test anymore. The game suffers from a range of crashes , graphic glitches, and very poor performance on the map, and in battles.:wall:

I have to wonder about the Beta testers. How can they miss so many problems? They must be full of blind fans.The answer from Creative Assembly is to blame NVIDIA and AMD. They claim Sega withhold the game for testing and driver support.

Now I can look forward to the promised weekly patches for a broken game in the meantime. I will be waiting a few months to play this game again as right now I can barely tolerate it.

Before I forget let me say it's a shame all the reviews gloss over these problems.They all gave the game at least a 8/10 or a 9/10. Says allot about professional journalism doesn't it? Thanks for reading my rant from a tired man who is now going to sleep. :bow:

Link-http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/78239-The-Problems-with-Performance-POLL?
Link-http://forums.totalwar.com/showthre...ag-on-Battle-Map-or-Campaign-map-PLEASE-READ?

Well now this link here from a dev in the game business sums it up perfectly.

Link-http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/81021-Review-from-an-Anonymous-Developer?

Last edited:
Before I forget let me say it's a shame all the reviews gloss over these problems.They all the game at least a 8/10 or a 9/10.

Could be paid reviews or it's just certain hardware/driver combinations that have problems. Always a good idea to wait at least a few weeks :)

The press usually gives a pass to certain games on the issue of bugs and performances depending on where the games are made.

When DA2 went on release, the media silenced all the performances and bug problems the game had.

On the other hand, they kept underlining problems in The Witcher 2, even though none of the problems compared to the failed experience provided by DA2.

Solution: get the games to be made in Poland or Russia, India etc The press will suddenly finds back its way to unbiaised reviews. They will be very professional.

Additionnally, another example of PCs as a the gaming platform of choice.

Total War: ROME II is now available and I have to ask does anyone beta test anymore. The game suffers from a range of crashes , graphic glitches, and very poor performance on the map, and in battles.:wall:
I'd say this is pretty much on par with Creative Assembly's QA. After Shogun 2, I gave up on them and have decided not to waste money on their games anymore. After, what, 2 years from release and an expansion pack under its belt, Shogun 2 still suffers from suddden crashes, freeze ups and unexplained graphical stuttering/gltiches. I've tried it on two different PCs, one with a 32-bit Win7 and the other with a 64-bit Win7; one with nVidia video card and the other with an AMD/ATI card, the results are the same. The game crashes with an alarming frequency.

So, I feel your pain, buddy, but I'm not the least bit surprised by these news about Rome 2.

I've been playing it fine on extreme and never crashed. No graphics glitches.

World map is where my issues are. Long enemy turn time, mouseover on ANYTHING seems to lower framerate, zoomed in looking into particle effects no framerate there either.

The battles run fine graphics wise, and I've played a 3v3 online with 15,000 units on screen smoothly to the end, no DC or desync, etc.

However, enemy AI sometimes bugs out as I saw defending a castle where I THINK they ran out of ammo to attack my gate then kinda just stood there taking shots from the gatetowers. Here's a screenshot of the event.
val7900.jpg

You can see one of the columns wasn't placed on the ground correctly. Also, dead units stay on the field and never vanish which looks awesome, but means your performance wont improve much as armies die. My gate was 91% destroyed at this point and I was outnumbered. :)

In my opinion, technical issues aside, the 9/10 reviews are correct. If this is your favourite genre of game then its really more a 10/10 title when compared to the zero competition. It's huge, its deep, theres loads of tech and levelup stuff to assign and the diplomacy system is excellent. The graphics are awesome.

They released a new beta patch for anyone interested. You get the patch the usual way by allowing steam to download the beta patch.

As for me I learned to stay away from anything with the word beta. Before I forget here are the patch notes. It’ll be officially released tomorrow.
• Higher average frame rates with out-of-the-box settings (more conservative settings)
• Fix for DirectX 10.0 Lighting issue reported – environment map wasn’t being created leading to black reflections.
• Fixed a sunken Samothrace temple complex world wonder on the Campaign map.
• Fixed defender being able to create encampments when involved in a combined battle.
• Added some localisation fixes to audio packs in French, Russian, Italian, German and Spanish.
• Fixed lock up in Multiplayer Campaign battles when a desynchronisation occurs. Players are now notified of the desynchronisation, and the battle ends.
• Fixed Multiplayer Campaign battle “overrun” prompt, which was not being shown to a player if they were a reinforcement and the other player was spectating.
• Fixed corrupt loading screen when changing to fullscreen / windowed mode after a battle, and then going into another battle.
• Fix for Multiplayer Campaign host being unable to move the camera in campaign, after reloading a save game on some rare occasions.
• Safe guards added to prevent a very rare crash in coastal assault battles.
• Fix for game lock up during end turn sequence / Celtic AI faction turn in single player campaign.
• Improved AI use of walls on Athens large settlement battle map.
• Improvements to Auto-resolve balancing in Single Player and Multiplayer Campaign modes.
• Aligned ship unit upkeep costs with land units – made mercenary ships more expensive and non-mercenary ships cheaper.
• Fixed slow turning rates for transport ships.
• Improved civil war balancing in relation to campaign difficulty.
• Fixed vehicle ground pipes, to prevent Siege Towers becoming immovable when they are left empty during the Deployment Phase of a Siege Battle, then units were moved into the Siege Tower when the battle has started.
• Fixed bug when ramming sideways into moving ship, which caused the ramming ship stick to target and strafe along with it in battles.
• Reduced the chance of Naval units sometimes clipping through the ground or harbours / ports during Port Assault battles when attempting to disembark.
• Fixed issue where armies would be stuck in Muster stance and could not exit that stance in Campaign modes.
• Fixed case where spies could get stuck on top of fleets in Campaign modes.
• Fixed rare post battle lockup in Campaign modes.
• Improved unit pathfinding in Barbarian village battle maps (fixed no go zones).
• Fix for Multiplayer Campaign lock up when the player was reinforcing an AI ally who was victorious in battle, causing the player to become stuck with no victory / continue / exit battle user interface functionality.
• Fix for cultural influence bonus from the Shrine of Neptune building
• Fix for “Zone of Controls” of hidden armies being visible to both players in head to head Multiplayer Campaign mode on mouse-over.
• Assorted minor fixes to city battle maps.
• Fix for “Rome Wasn’t Built in a Day” achievement failing to unlock when its requirements were met in some situations.

Last edited:
Well Angry Joe says everything I need to. All the reviews on the net are pardon my use of the word god damn lairs. This game was a waste of money, and CA should be embarrassed.

Dynamic review by a reviewer who wants progress.

Not that easy though. CA has a Paradox's problem.

Paradox, for some reason, wants to push the player into an interactive environment.
The player acts and the gameworld reacts. But also the gameworld acts and this forces the player to react.

Players in general do not want the second part. They do not want to work with the AI. They want to be that unrelentless force that can not be resisted and that can streamroll the map solo.

The balance of power is everything in this type of game and in an interactive gameworld, the player reaches a proper balance of power by working with the AI.
It means postponing your own plan of world domination to wage wars because an allied AI requires it etc

The player is no longer the center of the gameworld and must put second his own decisions.

Players do not want that. They want to be able to crush anyone regardless of any state of the AI. They do not want to work with the AI.

When you play the game as an interactive gameworld requires, you suddenly discover that the AI declares war on you and a lot. Actually, the AI in this game usually ends ganging on an opponent. That is the big isssue.

They prefered to release a version that could be played as player like their game.
They did not release a version that demanded extensive forced cooperation with the AI.

Back
Top Bottom