Eschalon: Book III - Now Available

I'm shocked that this game isn't getting many posts on the forums. Compared to Blackguards and MMX, Eschalon is a known commodity. This is the 3rd game in the series and the game seems to have been fairly popular in the past.

I still don't know what is next on BW's agenda, but as this is the last game in the series, I picked it up on Gog. Graphically it is very outdated; 1024X768 is the max resolution and its the 90's tile based look rather than anything from this century. If you can look past that, it feels just like the other two games; at least in the beginning. Same old character creation, same old barrels and chests, same old challenges if you play the game as a pacifist, without stealing, etc. I'm not really sure what took so long between games unless this game is just a monster in actual size. The tech is very, very old and all of the subsystems have barely been tweaked if there are any changes at all.

You still start with no skills as a blank slate character even though this is the 3rd game in the series and you're playing the same character in all three. Reveal map has finally been fixed so that anything you uncover with the spell stays on your map permanently. This is a VERY welcome change as you no longer need the cartography skill.

That's my initial impressions. I enjoy these old style games in spite of all the negatives. There simplicity and familiarity just make it real easy to jump right in without reading a manual or waiting for 30 minutes of CGI.

I find the graphics are improved from the earlier games, and compared to #2 you get a bunch of quests right away (or pretty soon). I am very much enjoying it - but you are right, there is much more talk about so many other games than this one!

Yeah, I've just talked to the folks in the first area after you come out of the woods/mountain. Most of the quests seem extremely basic and old hat, but at least you don't have one quest at a time. I remember in the last game that if you didn't put quite a few points in endurance, you'd get creamed by even mosquitos. I set mine at 20, though that was a pain for my mage. I went 20 endurance and 20 Int and everything else is around 13-15. I just took elemental, light armor, and either lockpicking or find hidden as my skills. Can't remember the 3rd skill. I remember in the 2nd game I took like 5 skills and my elemental wasn't up to snuff for a long time.

I just finished E2 a few months ago. It hooked me pretty early and was actually the last RPG that I had "completed"

So I was going to wait a bit, but forum effect was just too great. How can I get this game from GOG so that the Watch gets credit? I feel bad I was not on my game for other GOG purchases but hey, better late than never.

I think you should click on the GOG link when the game appears in the box.
It'll create a link like this:
http://www.gog.com/game/eschalon_book_iii?pp=f6e1126cedebf23e1463aee73f9df08783640400

Now I'm not sure if this is the correct link to grant RPGwatch some credit, maybe Myrthos would know.

And guys, why Eschalon is not making many posts as Blackguards and MM10 is because it's too early! The game just got out, noone is stuck yet, noone has a hint to share and noone is evil enough to write some spoilers.

I remember in the last game that if you didn't put quite a few points in endurance, you'd get creamed by even mosquitos. I set mine at 20, though that was a pain for my mage. I went 20 endurance and 20 Int and everything else is around 13-15.

I am actually playing melee low endurance char, 5 hours in and my endurance is still on 12(Bludgeoning Weapons+Divination+meditation with some heavy armor).

So far I think map and dungeon design is better in book 2 but there is lot more to go so that might change.

Back
Top Bottom