Planescape: Torment - Planescape Landscapes @ RPS

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The resolution mod for Planescape: Torment shouldn't be news to our readers (and if it is - it isn't now) but I thought this piece at Rock, Paper, Shotgun was worth a look. Alec Meer has been replaying the masterpiece in 1600x1050 res and took some screens, showing off the gorgeous artwork that this resolution unlocks:
Playing PST at 1680×1050 thanks to this mod - the pixels not stretched, but rather the game world expanded, a vast amount more of it now visible at any one time - I’m constantly struck by how beautiful it is. It seems less a thing of pixels now, and more a vast painting. Particularly, the cursed, sinister city of Sigil is no longer a collection of short, dingy alleyways and squat, disconnected buildings, but this grand expanse of gothic metropolis - bustling with NPC life, sprawling and darkly gorgeous. I get the sense this is Planescape as it was intended to look. It’s a different game for it, and now I stop to stare at the world as much as I do the elegiac prose. Unfortunately, the increased resolution does make said prose (and much of the UI) squinty-small, but I’m more than happy to make do. Oblivion, NWN2, The Witcher - losers in the 2D vs 3D RPG war. Give me this any day.
More information.

Does anyone know if the increased screen size interferes with game triggers? i.e., are bad guys "activated" before they should be?

This project has slipped under my radar. I completed the game a couple of years ago and the only thing I really missed was a higher resolution. Unfortunately, like JDR13 says, the engine doesn't scale too well. Even though higher resolutions are supported by BGII the details quickly get too small for my taste.

I have to try this! :p
looks sweeet

Excellent :) Have to try that then. Shame there's no way of tweaking it so that the game world is higher resolution but the UI & text stays the same, but it looks fantastic.

Cool, never heard of this mod, but it truly sounds and looks promising. Gotta replay PS:T using this.

I'm afraid this would make the text nigh unreadable for me on my 1368x768 36" LCD screen. It's already difficult to read text on the TV screen.

Beautiful! But I think my eyeballs will also flunk the text test. This is on my short list to replay also--I may have to try it out just to enjoy the artwork.

Does anyone know if the increased screen size interferes with game triggers? i.e., are bad guys "activated" before they should be?
All such scripting is decided by character line of sight, the camera has nothing to do with it.

zeros and ones;)

Yeah, but what determines line of site?
A byte or two in the character files. Generally it's as long as the player character LOS (i.e. from the character to the "fog of war"), but there are a couple of exceptions IIIRC.

Back
Top Bottom