Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - 2.7 Million Players

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Blizzard Entertainment has released a new press release with information that Diablo III: Reaper of Souls has 2.7 million people playing the game since its launch.

DEATH BREATHES NEW LIFE INTO SANCTUARY

More than 2.7 million players join the crusade against the Angel of Death with the launch of Diablo® III: Reaper of SoulsTM

PARIS, France—April 3, 2014— Malthael claimed that no one could stop Death . . . actually, Diablo® III players have already stopped Death more than 1.5 million times and counting. On March 25, players the world over launched a crusade against the fallen angel with the release of Diablo III: Reaper of Souls™ for Windows® and Mac®. As of the first week of the expansion’s availability, more than 2.7 million copies have sold-through online and at retailers worldwide.*

Players, community personalities, and members of the press joined Blizzard to celebrate the expansion’s release on the evening of March 24 at launch parties in Seoul, Taipei, Warsaw, Stockholm, and Los Angeles. The icy grasp of the Angel of Death reached players around the world through live streams from several of the events, with total Diablo III views on Twitch on launch day alone exceeding 2.4 million.†

“With Reaper of Souls, we wanted to emphasize all the things that Diablo gamers have always loved about the series, from the dark gothic setting to the piles and piles of epic loot,” said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “We’re excited to see that players are enjoying the changes we’ve made to the game, and we look forward to achieving our Paragon levels alongside everyone else in the weeks and months ahead.”

Reaper of Souls continues the Diablo III story with a challenging new act that takes players from the legendary city of Westmarch to the unhallowed halls of the Pandemonium Fortress, culminating in an epic battle with Malthael, the Angel of Death. The expansion also adds the unstoppable Crusader class to Diablo III’s roster of heroes, and increases the game’s level cap to 70, adding several powerful spells and abilities for the original five hero classes.
More information.

I never touched Diablo 3 because of negativity from the community, didn't want to risk the cash drop. Now 'Reaper of Souls' is out - hearing great things, I bought it and obviously D3. Let me tell you I'm enjoying myself.. it's a polished, entertaining product. I'm glad I picked it up, and that I waited.

I'm in the same boat and was surprised how much fun it is. It really feels like a Diablo game now.

Honestly speaking, D3 really wasn't bad at all despite some shortcomings. The D2 fans just didn't like change.

I couldn't even play D2 beyond Act 1. It got boring very quick. I didn't find it to be the pinnacle of action RPGs (read hack 'n slash) as many claim - just tedious routine with abysmally grainy visuals. Although the music was awesome!

As for other action RPGs: Titan Quest is really good. And Divine Divinity is in a class of its own. I've played the Grim Dawn beta and I've really enjoyed it.

I plan to get Reaper of Souls and D3 for the PS4. Should be fun playing that in coop with my nephews and niece. :)

Divine Divinity beats all Diablo games on every possible level.
Well… Not on graphics level, but who needs that to have 100% fun in a game?

Graphics, schmaphics - I loved the art style in Divine Divinity right from the start. it helped that it supported high(ish) resolutions :)

I remember firing up the game, spending hours upon hours immersed in it, thinking to myself - now thats what you call a proper action RPG!

Honestly speaking, D3 really wasn't bad at all despite some shortcomings. The D2 fans just didn't like change.

I couldn't even play D2 beyond Act 1. It got boring very quick. I didn't find it to be the pinnacle of action RPGs (read hack 'n slash) as many claim - just tedious routine with abysmally grainy visuals. Although the music was awesome!

As for other action RPGs: Titan Quest is really good. And Divine Divinity is in a class of its own. I've played the Grim Dawn beta and I've really enjoyed it.

I plan to get Reaper of Souls and D3 for the PS4. Should be fun playing that in coop with my nephews and niece. :)

Divine Divinity does not belong to this list. It is much more a classic CRPG (Ultima - like, nothing else) than a Diablo clone. The perspective and the action combat make it look similar on first glance, but about 5 hours in the game noone ever can claim these are in the same stadium. They are not even the same sport.

Some lost things are not worth searching.
Nothing to worry about then! :p

Divine Divinity does not belong to this list. It is much more a classic CRPG (Ultima - like, nothing else) than a Diablo clone. The perspective and the action combat make it look similar on first glance, but about 5 hours in the game noone ever can claim these are in the same stadium. They are not even the same sport.

Oh i totally get that. I was just comparing them under the wider branch of "action RPGs". But you're right - comparing a hack/slash against a classic-styled RPG is unfair.

For what it's worth, hack/slash games are fun for short bursts of entertainment and I appreciate them for that.

Back
Top Bottom