The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

I have to say that the guy in the "thriller" vid seemed overly masculine in comparison. :lol:

Currently listening to RUSH's newest album "Snakes and Arrows". Yes... I am a RUSH head from way back. Go ahead... I can take the jabs at my musical taste.

The album is quite good. Of course you have to listen to it in its entirety several times to get a taste for it. They've tried some new things and it mostly works. It's definitely not their best album, but for a band that's been together for over 30 years it's pretty good (you must know that my opinion of most bands that have been together for that long is usually pretty low - rock bands seem to mellow and become quite lame as they age - but RUSH has stayed fairly consistent within their realm of progressive rock IMO).

Rush are kinda hit and miss with me. Absolutely loved (and still do) 2112 and Caress of Steel, but starting with Farewell to Kings I just didnt like their direction much anymore.
For me, it's all about the 2 cds that hold their 3 most epic songs: The Necromancer, Temple of Lamneth, and 2112. All 3 of those songs are true classics, i love every note!

All the songs on both cds are good of course, but those 3 are the fantasy-drenched epic types that I just wish they would have done their whole career.

How about some Punjabi Bhangra?
Magerette made me do it (post it, I mean... not listen to it).

Sorry it took so long for me to notice Jaz--gosh that was ....happy. :)

But you have to admit, the guy could have been from a game--he is the perfect image of an elementalist mage. (In fact, 3 or 4 elementist mages in that cut :)...)

Definitely, yes! :lol: Jeez, and according to legend he only made this video to prove that he was popular even without the sexy ladies in his videos. That's the way to become an internet phenomenon...
Right, sonny saw the video, started to dance... and then crowed 'Look there, mommy, it's Missan Magus!'
I have two friends named Markus, one of them owns a Nissan. Well, there IS a certain likeness :).
Oh yes, the other one is 'Tyoda Magus'. Guess what he's driving...?

I'm currently listening to Return to the Center of the Earth by Rick Wakeman, an all-time favorite. I need some inspiration for writing a climactic battle... and next track in line is Pain's 'End of the Line', another inspirational favorite of mine... didn't find a sample, but I heard the man will be at this year's M'Era Luna festival, the second (and probably last) concert/festival I can attend this year.

Oh right: I must add one of a my all-time favorites to my play list: the wonderful Les Enfants du Paradis by LX, a local hero. He never managed to get a contract, and it's free. I LOVE this track...

Last edited:
Indie with a healthy dose of Sarah sound. Great shtuff!
"Three" by Hope Chest

i actually saw them back in ~98 before i was into shoegaze type music. i wasn't too impressed at the time, but they seemed like alright guys with lots of enthusiasm. they were friends of my roommate so we hung out before hand. i still have the album constellation prize which they gave me. i remember their name popping up somewhere about a year ago. i guess its time to whip out that cd.

I'm going to assume you're "the artist formerly known as Curious", CU? There's no way we could have 3 self-incriminated gazers on this board...

Sound on this stream isn't right (too much treble) which is strange since it's on the band's site, but we'll go with the link anyway.
"On Our Own" by The Meeting Places

he is the perfect image of an elementalist mage.

LOL i was thinking that too!

Great vid, watched it again. I have an indian co-worker who was all excited when he heard it coming from my pc. He loves this guy. I had to listen to him all day singing it, I finally had to beg him to give me a break. Unfortunately, it had posited itself in my brain at that point, and was going over and over for like ten hrs in my head like some kind of insane gibberesh nursery ryme.

He says it's all about the world being a colorful place (hence the wide array of colored Daler Mehndis), and his heart for a woman or something of that nature.

right now I'm trying to cleanse my mental palette by listening to Tiger Army's "Power of Moonlight"

I blame you, Jazzy. I mean, sure, I feel some shame burying my friends in wave upon wave of shoegaze and dreampop, but I've never stooped so looooow as posting a Daler.

Remember that classic counter-culture line(said by Mr Natural, I believe), dte: Minds were made to be blown.

I enjoyed the romp through a kinder, gentler world-view, myself. I would have jumped up and danced if it hadn't been for my bad knee.

:dance: Thanks to Sammy as well for the crazy dancing Indian guys:dance: and the wikipedia link.

Currently : The CD "Best of Rondo Veneziano". I really like this CD. :)

So I broadened my horizons and gave Daler another shot. Ugh. I think even Paula Abdul would say it was painful. 4:17 of my life when I could have been playing UFO:ET...

No music stuck in my head today.

thanks for that Jaz!! i enjoyed the majority of it quite a lot. though i have enjoyed middle-eastern music for quite some time now. its strange but i think diablo 2 actually peaked my curiousity in middle-eastern music. i even played the soundtrack on my stereo many a time. some day i will learn to play the sitar...

i've been listening to almost nothing but faithless and ariel pink over the last month or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqKwzlRi4Lc ariel pink - jagged carnival tours
this isn't one of ariel pink's best songs but it is my favourite video of his. he's really been more of my fiance's favourite for the past couple of years whereas i thought he was novel but nothing more. for some strange reason that has changed recently and i'm actually excited about seeing him this time(3rd) when he comes to town in a few weeks. who would of thought i'd listen to such crazyiness frequently and even fall asleep to it:)

this song is actually one of my faves. its on his 3rd album that was rerealeased on non-cdrs - house arrest. this album is hauntingly now in my all-time top 25 albums.
its a mighty fine tune- helen - http://www.paw-tracks.com/arielpinkhelen.mp3

also for those who liked the Daler you might want to check out ariel pink's myspace. there is an enjoyable bali? video that to my knowledge ariel pink had nothing to do with other than an inspiration perhaps.

Listening to the new Battlelore cd, "Evernight"

*does happy tiger Daler dance*

I liked that Jagged Carnival Tours vid, pretty cool. Not sure if I could do the music or the video standalone, but together they are a pretty nice little surreal little bit of media there. Made me feel weird

I'm currently digging Big Black, especially the song El Dopa.

Metalllica - St Anger

Giving it another spin because it's free, online. Some nice riffs, but it just aint soundin like yer daddy's Metallica. I dunno if it's legal, the site says it is, but looks a little dubious if you ask me. Someone at work has the whole office listening and watching movies on this site, even current movies like the new Shrek, Spiderman, even 300 etc. Lots of stuff there http://www.watchtvsitcoms.com/

EDIT-Definitely a bad cd, by most any measure that I can think of.
St Anger has been savaged by pretty much everyone and their gramma thus far, and rightfully so. Ive tried to be fair with it, but it's a downright painful listen even for those who arent stinging from the fond memories of "the good old days". Metallica was obviously going for a thrash metal (hardcore punk+speed metal) sound, and to their credit, there is some decent riffage to be found here at times. Unfortunately it's all too brief and utterly spoiled by the lamest (and all-too-clear) lyrics, laughable vocals, and what appears to be the sound of a garbage can lid being used for a drum thru the entire cd. It physically gave me a headache!
Just a truly pathetic cd. No wonder the band had a fucking breakdown after they released this thing.

Last edited:
Been spinning a little Goldfrapp recently.

Sonny forces me to listen to a demo track by a girl synthie pop band named Marsheaux daddy brought from the WGT. The track is kind of nice, but loses all niceness after three days of continuous looping.

Back
Top Bottom