Morrowind - Overhaul Project Released

Hate to leave a problem lingering so I checked out the source MGE and built it myself and that version worked. Not sure what is different but dont care at the moment.

Now that its working I test drove it enough to be satisfied its stable. Overall fairly painless and it does look pretty. Looking forward to spending some real time with it later.

Edit: I agree Todd's suggestion as the install could be easier for the standard configuration. While the current one is reasonably straightfoward, I think most people would still will want to get it running first with defaults and then dive into details afterword. Unfortunately with the wide variety of tools and mods required here and most without a silent install option on their installers that seems like quite a bit of work.

I think just for the MGE portion, the rest of the install is pretty monkey press this / press that, can't get into trouble. The MGE stuff is for the graphics nut and it can easily destroy the performance if you select the wrong thing. For example I selected all this stuff for AF and AA and render cells on distant land (4) etc. I think the render cell was defaulted at 10 or something pretty high? The AA alone is probably killing me and I'm running along with HDR which is sometimes a "no no". Bottom line is my MGE settings really borked my performance. So many screens and options to get in trouble with! I'll need to go back and compare the screenshots in the PDF instructions to what I've got. All this could be eliminated with some sort of default MGE config that is a proven performer. Let the graphic's nut tweak off the default and then restore to default when he screws the pooch. Right now its all hit or miss on screwing the pooch. Rest assured config is pretty much screwed... and I generally know what I'm doing! ;)

By the way KINGPIX, I hope you are taking this all as constructive feedback, since it is meant that way. I'm certainly very interested in this mod and I know others are. I'm sure I can speak for others when I say we are well aware this is a tremendous effort and hats off to everyone involved. It is all very appreciated!

oh wow. So I know a guy who did the same kind of mod compilation for Oblivion and shared it with his friends from a gaming forum. When the mod community got wind of it, they all went ballistic on his arse. Claiming that mod compilations never work, always full of bugs and are just pure crap, even though he put a ton of work into the compilation to squash out the bugs and he did a dang good job at it. The mod community even said they would never allow any of their work to be ever put into a mod compilation. Then I see this, and the mods in Morrowinds compilation are made by the same modders as the Oblivions one. So either they are pure hypocrits and did allow it, or Kingpix didn't get permission from the modders and they are still being hypocrits and are just turning a blind eye to his work.

You can disable new trees and grass with the included customization program, it will look just like Morrowind is :)
You can also disable other changes to fit your tastes ;)

Yeah, don't take my comment as a negative toward the mod it's a cool thing you did to put it all together. I am just saying for me personally I like to play games as they were originally presented 99% of the time. I hack Morrowind to make it widescreen and that's about it.

oh wow. So I know a guy who did the same kind of mod compilation for Oblivion and shared it with his friends from a gaming forum. When the mod community got wind of it, they all went ballistic on his arse.

Unfortunately, the same thing happened recently when someone put together a collection of mods for this game ('Morrowind 2011'). From what I understand, KingPix has asked for individual permissions first, instead of compiling the pack and putting it on web. The creator of the MW2K11 mod didn't ask for these permissions, though he did compile a lengthy list of credits.

I guess the modding community for these games is rather… fickle. It was a shame that MW2K11 was taken down imho. That being said, I have to say this project can be tailored better to personal taste (that MGSO-program is quite helpful!) and runs more stable. (At least on my rig).

Last edited:
Does anyone happen to be running this on Windows 7 64bit? If so, have you had any issues?
Me.
I composed it under Win7 x64, so you can tun this. ;)

About the MGE configuration:
I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I know you can't confirm an exact release date yet for the game experience package, but do you have any idea if we're talking days, weeks or months?

Thx KINGPIX

I know you can't confirm an exact release date yet for the game experience package, but do you have any idea if we're talking days, weeks or months?

Thx KINGPIX

Probably months.
;)

Just some quick feedback after trying to install the overhaul on a clean pristine install of Morrowind GOTY / Steam version :

I got an error message in a small popup, saying that it couldn't locate the TES3 (Morrowind) folder. This happened to me before step 4/, according to this guide.

-> this error message is generated because it can't find some registry settings that are only created if one launches Morrowind at least once beforehand.

-> a small warning could be added to the guide, asking to at least launch Morrowind once before running the install, so that the registry entries are correctly set

Thank you for your work on this community project, it is very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Just some quick feedback after trying to install the overhaul on a clean pristine install of Morrowind GOTY / Steam version :

I got an error message in a small popup, saying that it couldn't locate the TES3 (Morrowind) folder. This happened to me before step 4/, according to this guide.

-> this error message is generated because it can't find some registry settings that are only created if one launches Morrowind at least once beforehand.

-> a small warning could be added to the guide, asking to at least launch Morrowind once before running the install, so that the registry entries are correctly set

Thank you for your work on this community project, it is very much appreciated.
Thanks for this post, I will fix the guide tomorrow when I come back home =)

OK did a bit more work with MGE and noticed that somehow my AA was set at 8x and AF at 16x. Dropped AA to 4x and its sort of playable around 14fps.

1. Something doesn't seem right with the textures, they sure shimmer alot, especially roof textures in the starting village for example.
2. I'm not sure the dynamic light sourcing is working. Haven't really seen the sun yet to verify.
3. If I attempt to use real time shadows in the Morrowind video section my video card craps out for a hard reboot.

Here is a screen. Textures are pretty nice.

Morrowind2011-02-0723-00-49-45.jpg

I tried this, and it was pretty easy to install - actually - it just didn't seem that way at first.

Definitely makes the game look a lot better, but unfortunately I still don't like it.

But for fans, I think this should make quite a difference - as it does look quite good. The improved animations help - but they're still horribly stilted and awkward.

That said, I don't think it can hold a candle to Oblivion in terms of overall visual appeal - but I guess that's about taste. Some aspects do look a bit better, like the water - but overall Oblivion is far superior, in my opinion.

But - great work!

With mods installed Oblivion does indeed look better but for me its a huge improvement considering how old Morrowind is.

Now I'm just curious what the game experience package will add exactly.

I think it looks fantastic, but I also have to agree with those who say it varies a bit too much from Morrowind's original art style.

Too much additional foliage, and too much "green" in general for a volcanic island imo.

Back
Top Bottom