EuroGamer - Interview with Chris Avellone

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Eurogamer has an interesting interview with Chris Avellone. Topics include canceled projects such as Dwarves, and Aliens: Crucible.

Chris also lets it slip that Aliens: Crucible featured base building, and that the gameplay footage that leaked was apparently from an earlier build.

"It was third-person, obviously over-the-shoulder [perspective], you create your own avatar in the Aliens universe, you guide a squad of - it's not like a Marine squad, it's a whole mix of different individuals who happen to be in this one location at this one time, which allows for a lot more variety," explained Chris Avellone, Obsidian's creative director, speaking to me at Rezzed 2013.

"If you're dealing with a ship repair mechanic who may have no combat experience whatsoever, that obviously would serve a vital function in surviving in this predicament. So it's more of a third-person, two companions with you survival game, but it had a lot of the RPG trappings in terms of you could set up your own stronghold and base and build that up over time, explore more of the environment, figure out how you get all of the resources and stuff to survive."

It may not have been the most up to date video of Aliens: Crucible, either. "There was a vertical slice of it and I don't know if the video that was released was the actual vertical slice that we had," he said. "One of our designers mentioned that it was actually a milestone build from like a month or two before the actual vertical slice.

"There was a lot done with it," Chris Avellone rued, "and man I'm really sorry that I didn't get a chance to do it, but things just didn't work out."
Chris also commented that publishers seem to be interested in old-school RPGs again after the success of recent Kickstarters like Wasteland 2, Project Eternity and Torment: Tides of Numenera.

"We've been contacted by more than one publisher about doing that style of game because financially it makes sense for them and they realise the interest level from backers and players also works for them," he said. "I couldn't comment on the specific publishers, but it was just gratifying to see that they actually were interested in that style of game, when previously I thought it wouldn't be a good fit for any publisher.

"But that sort of model did seem interesting to them and it seemed like it would work for them. What's even more gratifying is the publishers we've talked to are ones that aren't afraid of having a very reactive storyline or a deep storyline, or really deep mechanics.

"They're not interested so much in accessibility because they recognise the people [who] support these games like those kind of mechanics and depth, and like worlds set up like that - that's the market that we would like to cater to. And I think that's admirable and that's awesome."
More information.

Last edited:
I'm aware Chris is dancing to journalists' questions music, but hell I want to hear what more crazy and kinky worlds is he planning to set alive in a next few years (besides known ones).

I'm aware Chris is dancing to journalists' questions music, but hell I want to hear what more crazy and kinky worlds is he planning to set alive in a next few years (besides known ones).

If he doesn't stop giving so many interviews, maybe none :whip:
I like reading his interviews, but I really hope he has time to concentrate on his work on the games - he is an important person in several of the most interesting projects currently in development, yet somehow he seems to be constantly present in the media as well. Does the man need no sleep?

Attention is how he gets all of his power and as long as he is in the spotlight he doesn't need any sleep and can do an unlimited amount of projects at one time.

"They're not interested so much in accessibility because they recognise the people [who] support these games like those kind of mechanics and depth, and like worlds set up like that - that's the market that we would like to cater to. And I think that's admirable and that's awesome."

:happycry:

This guy's name is attached to half the kickstarter projects funded over the last year, and yet he's gallivanting across the planet doing interviews and Star Trek conventions? Is he on meth or something?

I like reading his interviews, but I really hope he has time to concentrate on his work on the games - he is an important person in several of the most interesting projects currently in development, yet somehow he seems to be constantly present in the media as well. Does the man need no sleep?

I've never understood the personality cults springing up around video games. They're not solitary efforts (anymore). OTOH I don't know the name of any programmer on Project Eternity besides Adam Brennecke.

I mean, if people want to invest more into a game I want because it has George Ziets in it or something, more power to them. It's just not something that I find compelling, personally.

If he doesn't stop giving so many interviews, maybe none :whip:

Obsidian and Avellone have a stellar record as game promoters - but a somewhat less than stellar record of turning out polished, high quality video games. It seems promotion is the name of the game in the video game business; Obsidian has survived despite unfinished and unreleased titles, various buggy releases, and other problems. No question Avellone is talented and Obsidian has built a talented studio. But talent alone hasn't kept other talented studios out of bankruptcy.

Still it sure would be nice to see fewer interviews and more games like FNV.

__

This guy's name is attached to half the kickstarter projects funded over the last year, and yet he's gallivanting across the planet doing interviews and Star Trek conventions? Is he on meth or something?
No he just doesn't sleep to much according to another interview he did.:)

I used to be quite amused by how MCA is like a popstar in our part of the gaming community but after playing PS:T and reading how much of it was his work I feel its not only warranted but also a sign of quality as far as the community is concerned.

Back
Top Bottom