Divinity 2 - Review @ GameSpot

Dhruin

SasqWatch
GameSpot has reviewed Divinity II, awarding 6.5/10 after criticising variable challenge, "bland" story and characters and bugs, while appreciating some of the more unusual aspects:
In Divinity II, the hunter becomes the hunted. You begin this third-person role-playing game as a newly recruited dragon slayer, eager to join a bloodthirsty party tracking down a fearsome lizard. Soon, however, a turn of events transforms you into what you once reviled: a dragon knight who can slice through enemies on the ground as well as transform into a winged beast and take to the skies. The ability to morph back and forth between human and dragon form is Divinity II's best and most interesting feature, though there are a few other elements that also help set it apart from the competition. Unfortunately, these flames of originality are too often extinguished by Divinity II's less compelling facets. This adventure is a hefty challenge, but the difficulty too often stems from imbalanced enemy encounters rather than tough, thoughtfully constructed battles. Furthermore, thin characters and a by-the-numbers plot make it difficult to get invested in the story. Divinity II may satisfy your craving for some looting and leveling in a fantasy world, but it lacks the sparkle and cohesion of the better games in the genre.
Thanks, Melvil!
More information.

Am I the only one who actually liked Divinity 2 more than Dragon Age?

Am I the only one who actually liked Divinity 2 more than Dragon Age?

I havent tried Divinity II yet but I am no fan of Dragon Age. Since its a 3rd person game I'm predisposed to like D2 more. You are probably not alone.

6.5 is kinda harsh for this game, even for Gamespot.

I'd have expected 7-8.

Svenitor: You are not alone since I like Dragon Age but I like Divinity 2 far more and it is one of my most favorite games in recent years.

A somewhat harsh review, especially coming from Gamespot, where reviews are often overly generous..

I'm not surprised - they like to be able to show how their average reviews are still holding - so because they over-rate so many games they have to balance it out somehow.

Watch review should be coming very soon; it's in the system for additional staff comments.

The game can be rather challenging sometimes and I do agree with the variable challenge bit. The story and characters, to me, are very good, though. And the game is just plain fun. I would have expected 7.5 from Gamespot.

The game can be rather challenging sometimes and I do agree with the variable challenge bit. The story and characters, to me, are very good, though. And the game is just plain fun. I would have expected 7.5 from Gamespot.

I actually don't see anything wrong with the variable challenge. It keeps me on my toes. I haven't run up against anything I haven't been able to beat yet, althought I've had quite a few deaths (and I mean deaths... like reload a saved game.)

No, but different areas have different level enemies. I found this worked, as I could usually just handle the enemies I met as I explored and levelled.

No, but different areas have different level enemies. I found this worked, as I could usually just handle the enemies I met as I explored and levelled.

There have been cool instances where I was more than a couple of levels below some enemies and had to really struggle to make it through. SOmetimes you know you're stepping into trouble!

Yeah, a couple of times RUN was a brilliant tactic!! :) I once encountered 2 foes who were 10 levels above me. Didn't have time to run; 2 hits later I had to reload!!

Oh yes, more than once I found myself in over my head. Unfortunately, the problem is that I tend to quicksave over my previously most recent save!! The game then decides to lock the door behind me and now I have no choice but to kill what lies ahead! I've been able to so far, but some encounters were very hard (and sometimes required a bit of AI exploitation).

There's not a lot of opportunity to power-level other than finding and finishing all side-quests and monsters, so sometimes I'll just run into a new batch of enemies and just get my ass handed to me! It takes a lot of reloading and you have to be up for that. Then again, I'm probably not the most hardcorest, elitest of elitest of games. :)

Definitely will be looking forward to the Watch review. I haven't been following it ( don't know why ) and know very little about this game, never played the previous two in the series.

Gamespot is garbage, I haven't bothered reading any of their reviews since that O game that shouldn't be mentioned on an RPG site.

Back
Top Bottom