Divinity Rediscovering Divine Divinity…

Divine Divinity and Other games
BD was even free on GMG awhile ago,regarless of price is a nice game,especialy in the third act.

Finished this last night at errr.... 4:40AM.

I'm going to give this a B. I loved the game overall but there are some pretty glaring defects, particularly with the quest designs. There are far too many quest "conditions" that the game seems to check for and combinations of conditions that leave quests broken. I had around 7-8 dead quests in my journal, confirmed online that dialog options were never going to happen to close them out.

Also... about that Teleporter Pyramids quest. Not much of a spoiler but here it is:
Imp steals your pyramids as soon as you enter the castle. Quest it so recover them obviously.
Here is my beef with this quest. There is *no* option to avoid the quest assignment. However it is extremely easy to end up sh*t out of luck and never finish this one. Again, it has to do with "quest preconditions" that allow you to progress this one. Then, of course, you get whisked away to a region never to return which leaves this one broken as well.

Its just bad design. I probably spent 2-3 extra hours hoofing it around pointlessly because I couldn't complete that quest. It made endgame a total frustration.

Finally.... Josephina. Are you kidding? There needs to be some kind of guidance to defeating something that uber powerful. Her spam attacks and casting are far beyond mortal fingers on keyboard. To make matters worse the first encounter is like trying to fight in a shoebox. This also created a game stopping bug as your enemy can vanish into the wall, again quest failure, again reload old save.

The game has tons going for it. I love the ambiance, the addictive game play, the humor and the setting... but I'm having some difficulty getting beyond some of the bad design choices and *clearly* poor play testing.

This thing needed several more patches. I really hope Beyond Divinity isn't as buggy as this. I'm going to play it despite my issues with Divine Divinity but it is with some hesitation...

My only real beef was the endgame and how you couldn't go back to the rest of the map once you reached the dark lands or whatever that area was called. There should be some kind of warning to let the player know beforehand. The endgame in general was also much too grindy. I honestly don't recall any significant bugs though.

And yeah… Josephina was fucking ridiculous.

My only real beef was the endgame and how you couldn't go back to the rest of the map once you reached the dark lands or whatever that area was called. There should be some kind of warning to let the player know beforehand.

I share the complaints about the pretty crappy end game which really left a bad taste after an otherwise quite tasty meal but I don't share the lack of handholding criticism as far as the absence of a warning message is concerned.
As far as I remember from about ten years ago (so my memory might admittedly not be as fresh as yours if you played the game more recently), there were very clear signs in the game that "sounding the gong" after assembling the council was going to be a major event that was going to have major consequences.

I mean it had "save the game now in case you want to go back" written all over it and I'm actually grateful it didn't have an immersion-ripping pop-up window like "WARNING! MAJOR GAME EVENT! SAVE NOW OR NEVER!" :biggrin: .

Also… about that Teleporter Pyramids quest.

Why would you want to avoid accepting a quest to get the teleporter stones back?

Talk to the imp historian again in the council hall (room west of the gong) to retrieve the teleporter stones. If you don't have them when you perform the blessing ceremony, you can get a replacement set near the start of the wastelands (screenshot).

Finally…. Josephina. Are you kidding?

Josephine is arguably the toughest opponent in the game, but there are various techniques for defeating her. I didn't have too much trouble the first encounter (leaving her until I had cleared most of Ferol, Verdistis and the Dark Forest). I did this council quest second last, leaving the imp one until last (to get the most experience out of the level-up jug in the bee/wasp garden). The fight with her in the wastelands was quite easy.

The bug where she can move into the wall is fairly rare.

The endgame in general was also much too grindy.

The publisher rushed the release of the game, so the wastelands got cut back quite a bit from what was planned, leaving it primarily hack and slash. I started off clearing the map, but then just went directly to where I needed to go, bypassing most of the remaining opponents (except in the Black Ring boss sections, where there wasn't enough room to just run past opponents, or you had to stop and use levers, etc).

Josephine clipping into the wall ain't that rare Dude. Happened to me twice! Its a good game overall. Certainly worth playing.

I remember that an item went into a wall once, but that was now … almost 10 years ago already ???

And, indeed, as far as I can remember, the Wastelands were indeed so empty because - hat's how I understood it, but I don't remember anymore if this is just a rumor or reality - the publisher simply cut the Money for Larian, so that they were running out of it.

They even cut a quest involving a character called Der Adler - "The Eagle", another forum member from the early days.
Der Adler still appears on one of the early wallpapers depicting *all* NPCs …

I had no trouble with Josephine, but there was one quest that was broken by the quest giver disappearing by getting killed by a bandit or some such that I aggroed. Very annoying to a completist like myself.

There is a way to Revive dead NPCs, if you are comfortable hex editing, or willing to try it.

I generally tried to clear around friendly areas before entering, though that was so guards wouldn't 'steal' any of my experience points if hostile creatures came too close. In any case, I didn't have any problems with NPCs getting killed.

I looked into the 10 years' Developer Diary yesterday ... and it became quite interesting, how everything evolved. There were a few things I didn't even know of. ;)

Maybe one day I'll try it again ... :)

I'd give the game a B as well though mostly because of the endgame, but also due to a few quest and save bugs I also encountered.

Still, bugs aside, the game was pretty much an A up until the endgame and I still consider it one of my favorite RPGs ever, definitely under appreciated.

Thanks. I'm level 8 right now, and I've been hoarding most of my skill points so far. I spent one point each in Elven Sight, Alchemy, and Evade Trap.

I'll take your advice and drop a point in Lockpick.

Can anyone tell me if Identify is worth investing in?

Evade trap is a waste
2 levels of identify is necessary, that covers 3/4 items that need to be identified.

holy necro

This thread brings back memories. I'm not gonna lie, DivDiv is stilly my favorite Larian game. Beyond Divinity, we don't need to talk about that, Div2, too streamlined and action-y for my taste, D:OS felt like a string of set combat encounters focusing on elemental counters like a TCG.

Evade trap is a waste
2 levels of identify is necessary, that covers 3/4 items that need to be identified.

Solomonhume wins the necro award of January. He necro'd 2 threads from 2+ years ago with an answer like it was asked yesterday :)

I need to replay it one day to see that my song and name is still there. :D

Back
Top Bottom