• Yes, I've supported a bunch!

Votes: 98 50.5%
  • Yes, but only 1 or 2.

Votes: 52 26.8%
  • I'm waiting for the right project.

Votes: 8 4.1%
  • No! No finished product, no money!

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • No - but only because of my tight budget.

Votes: 18 9.3%

• Total voters
I'm not much of a KSer having only done 1 game. I dislike waiting 1+ year to see if I am still interested in it plus will I even like the game when it comes out?

However I believe Indie games will be the future for me. I just prefer to wait till it comes out to check it out and am willing to pay more after release.

And that is the one thing I hate hate hate about Kickstarter. Before Kickstarter, I avoided developer notes like the plague. I had no interest in bugs or the minutiae of game progression. Just give me a estimated release date and I'm good and would just get on with my life. But nowadays I am bombarded with game progression updates. I'm sure most appreciate the info, but I just want my game.

But while Kickstarter goes against my gaming nature, I am hopeful because of Kickstarter, I can prevent some vaporware from occurring. Maybe. Perhaps that Dungeon Hero game about the orc world or the Elf world RPG might have gotten a better chance if Kickstarter was around at the time.

I have supported a number of titles. Only one has released as this point and it turned out great. That title was FTL. These crowd funded projects shine a light on our ability to thrive without massive publishers. Many projects fail and care must be taken on which projects to support. On a larger scale of human systems I'm just glad to see more distributed and less hierarchical systems functioning, it is a paradigm shift that needs to happen in many human systems.

I've done a fair few

-SimpleWallet 2.0
-Balance and Ruin
-BrawlInTheFamily (got the Memories package)
-Dreamfall Chapters (Went for a $500 package :D)

And I plan to run a kickstarter next year too :D

It's interesting that I came across this thread right as I'm trying to decide if I want to take my own project to Kickstarter. What I've noticed is that a lot of the things that are supported are big named projects (like Wasteland 2). Do no-name developers working on one-man projects have any chance to compete against that? It's scary to think that you won't get the funding you want to complete your project.

What I've noticed is that a lot of the things that are supported are big named projects (like Wasteland 2).
Well it's easier to give money to people that you know they can deliver a game.

Do no-name developers working on one-man projects have any chance to compete against that?

They don't, but that doesn't mean that they can't get funded.
Paper sorcerer got 12k with not well covered campaign, Malevolence got 33k and Arakion got 48k(all one man or small team projects that target somewhat similar audience as you).
I think that asking for 15-20k is realistic, but note that games seem to get funded harder last few months so it might not be ideal time to run campaign now.

Aye just don't ask for hundreds of thousands. Start small. Oh and don't put up a KS now, wait until after Xmas.

Daniel.

Oh and don't put up a KS now, wait until after Xmas.
This is very important. I've posted last year that I'm not backing anything during december as in that month it's impossible to manage your wallet rationally so I usually end up spending more money than I should. And I'm not some hotel owner. Thus it's easier to close "the shop" here and there during that month so you don't get a huge headache later.

I'm glad that something has arrived that allows us to take power away from mega-publishers and give it to developers who are gamers like us. That means more games we love, and less mass-produced, money-grabbing junk.

I backed Divinity: Original Sin and I'm so glad I did. I'm more excited about it than I've been about any game in a long time.

Back
Top Bottom