What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Speaking of british TV, recently I've rewatched some of Monty Python's Flying Circus episodes and was having a great time.
Six people, same time, same place, utter congeniality. The creative spark with the energy of Big Bang. Really, that's what I call fabulous coincidence:).

Tomorrow I'm gonna rewatch their Life of Brian, the funniest film ever.

Btw, this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w scene from episode 14 gave ROFL abbrev its meaning:).

Watched The Howling last night on IFC. It's a pretty corny, but fun to watch werewolf movie from about 1981. I remember watching it when it first came out, and I loved it... watching it last night, over 20 years later... it held up pretty good.

If you like werewolf movies and you don't mind some gratuitous s.e.x. and gore... you will probably enjoy this one ;)

I watched a flick from '95 last night: Hologram Man.
I love cheese :).

Did a Blockbuster night with Mrs dte last night. Double feature of "meh".

The Invisible- neat concept, but terrible implementation full of holes. Barely worth the rental

Skinwalkers- lousy story, lousy effects. And really, how can you call a movie "Skinwalkers" and not throw in some gratuitous nudity? ;)

Kung Fu Panda is very entertaining animation - full with slapstick comedies and humorous dialogs. It keeps uplifting mood most of the time and running riot with wild actions. That including a spectacular chopsticks combat scene - the contest of fighting and grapping over a bun with "chopstick kung fu."

However anyone watched enough kung fu films from 1970s and 1980 would have figured out the ending and plot early on. The characters, dialogs and such felt cliched. Jack Black (Po the Panda) and Dustin Hoffman (Shifu) carried their characters very well - though i also wished more action from Angelina Jolie (Tigress).

Kung Fu Panda Reviews

I also went and saw Kung Fu Panda last night with my boys... they really enjoyed it. I thought it was well done. Like Remus said... it does have a pretty cliche'd story line, but its target audience (most likely kids from 6 to 12) will probably not have seen many films like it, so they'll enjoy it.

Fun for the family.

Finally got to see House of Cards--excellent slimy politics and a performance by Ian Richardson that was over the top perfect--(I personally will never call a man "Daddy" again ;) ) Saw it followed by a Robert Altman "English" murder mystery called Gosford Park, with Maggie Smith and Helen Mirren--also quite good in its own way. The plot was pretty badly scrambled, but lots of good atmosphere and acting.

Last edited:
Gosford Park, was enjoyable, though definately not a movie for the impatient. and yes my head hurt a bit after watching it.

just finished watching "The Onion Movie". there really hasn't been a good satirical comedy in years. all of the dozens of "scary movie"s and its bastard childrens have headed downhill ala diving off a cliff. this movie is assuredly one of the 10 funniest movie i've ever seen. who knew a movie that has both steven seagal and micheal bolton in it could be so hilarious. it's not nonstop hillarity, but there are tons of really great laughs. the "al-queda" training video is exceptional.

however as much as i recommend this movie, it is definately for adults, or at least no younger 16/17.

Thanks for the tips on BA, I'll slip season 3 and 4 up a few notches in the queue. If there's stuff in there funnier than the Mother Superior, I'm all for it. :)

Seasons 2-4 are almost of a different genre with a much more talkative Blackadder:) And I'm glad you liked House of Cards:)

I watched HBOs Churchill movie The gathering storm which was quite up my alley (Churchill is one of my historical heroes, and his complex and partially flawed character only makes him more interesting). Too bad it didnt have a scene with him actually becoming PM (according to Lukacz the ascenscion should have been rather entertaining with Chamberlain, Chamberlains desired heir Halifax, and a completely quiet Churchill whose silence made Halifax cave in with some formal excuse):p

I also watched an episode of old Jeeves and Wooster which is rather hmm, "different". Still watchable but certainly not for everyone:p

EDIT: Everything I've seen from HBO is bloody excellent. Wish I could get it on cable here...

Last edited:
EDIT: Everything I've seen from HBO is bloody excellent. Wish I could get it on cable here...

I know. I'm currently watching From the Earth to the Moon, produced by Tom Hanks and HBO. It's a kind of a drama/documentary of the Apollo missions. And it's just fantastic to see what man was able to pull off. It really changed the way I look at space and space travel. It's got to be one of the greatest things mankind has done.

I just watched a movie called 'October Sky.' A true story about four kids from West Virginia facing a lifetime of work in the coal mines. One of them was inspired by rockets, and started making his own and ended up working for NASA.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0132477/

This is a neat film; kinda corny, but just an all around good movie. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Went and saw Prince Caspian yesterday and enjoyed it. The first was better, but this was still a good film.

Our weekend fare was The Departed, a Martin Scorsese film about the Irish Mafia in Boston(yes, my spouse picked this one out and I told him it put him smack in line for a chick flick next week). I actually did enjoy the movie though the gangster genre is about last on my list. Nicholson was excellent as a crazy mob czar, and while I'm not a fan of DeCaprio in his more romantic lead roles, he turned in a solid and professional performance in this one. Good film.

I didnt like the younger girl favourite incarnation of DiCaprio either, but he has matured into a pretty solid actor.

The dead of Sylvia Marie Likens

Well, recently i going through a bunch of B-list horror films, some of them are really bad - with titles like "The Evil Woods", what you would expect?.

One of the movies, "An American Crime" while not well received by critics, the true event that inspired the film is really interesting. It show the extent of cruelty the human is capable of. Further detail on the torturing death of Sylvia Likens available here.

Watched the final episode of House of Cards--masterly! The ending totally took me by surprise, which is quite a rarity when you've seen these kinds of plots so many times. Great series and I highly recommend it. At times it really seemed eerily similar to the last seven years in politics here in the US--especially when F.U. says "You chose me. You wanted a strong leader, and you chose me. Whatever I do, you partake of it." Made my flesh crawl.

Also watched Elizabeth. I'd give it an above average but far from tops rating. Entertaining, though.

Went to see Teeth - ouch.

It's quite an original film. There are other horror films that combined with comedy, but Teeth is just a more interesting.

Wall-E
The Wild Dogs loved it. I thought it was good entertainment, although it lacked some of the "over-the-kids'-heads" humor that made the Shrek series fun for the parents, too. The graphics were exceptional. Their ability to convey a wide range of emotions for Eve solely thru the shape of her eyes was nothing short of incredible.

Tigress roped me into The Princess Bride.

didnt really like it that much, tho it did give me an idea for a good halloween costume, westley's black masked outfit was kinda cool.

Back
Top Bottom