Xcom: Enemy unknown discussion

Thin Man. Spits poison and is very mobile.

First time I'd seen that unit, actually. Someone put up a link that had a little info about it, but I don't remember which article it was.

I assumed it was a "they walk among us" kinda thing, but I don't know that I had any actual evidence to back that up.

Ah, that could be it. Interesting. I hope this turns out good!

Helmets = no pretties for the cinematic kill cams. ;)

EdITTED; for error in logic . :p

Yes, there is Multiplayer. An press article says that in MP mode one can play the "aliens" and use their "psy-powers".

Requires Windows Vista or higher and an 8000 series... so it requires DirectX 10. That seems to be the trend this year. (But still now 64-bit requirement.)

Approx. an hour's worth of real game footage with the devs, incl. two missions and some base sightseeing. Interesting stuff.

http://www.twitch.tv/2k/b/330155062

Worth watching. I see no improvements on the turn based sequence as the studio claimed they would bring.

One side I dont like: aliens come very numerous against a small squad.

Lost part of the charm of some other episodes when human beings were clearly less powerful than their aliens counterpart, getting to a one alien vs human squad balancing.

Finished the demo, very short. 2 missions. the first one you are told what to do and involves pretty much just right clicking. second you get to control.

What I played was fun but I'm a sucker for turn based strategy. Actually never played xcom before though I think I will definitively need to read a manual.

Not happy with the controls, mouse feels laggy also you rotate the camera with q and e would have much preferred holding right mouse button to rotate camera. f and c to zoom in and out. right click to move but left click to open a door and yet space to attack. Just doesn't seem very intuitive. Maybe it was made for a controller, which would seem odd, a turn based strategy made for controller???

Anyway despite the controls it did start to grab me. The combat anyway. Not enough here to really judge the game.

Only had about 15 min with the game so maybe their are other ways to control the game but I didn't see anywhere in the game to remap them.

I just finished, too. The mouse seemed fine to me. Rotating the camera with Q and E makes sense but it jumps between four views instead of simply rotating while I have a key pressed down - which I don't like so much. Plus they are the reverse of what I expected.

I definitely like the combat. I haven't played this kind of turn-based tactics since… I don't know, Jagged Alliance 2? Eons. After my second battle I had all but the medic injured and out for a few days but the next event was listed as being that far away anyway.

The reward for the Florida mission is 4 scientists and we get a tantalizing message about how you need to build a lab for them and that labs are better when connected but the demo ends before you can fiddle with building.

You're going to have a tough time figuring out if you'll like the game based on this demo but it can serve as a tech demo to see if your PC can handle it.

Back
Top Bottom