Morrowind Back to Morrowind

Menigal

Extractor of Madness
After reading a few reddit posts about Morrowind, I decided to head back to my entry point into the series. Since exploration is the best thing about the game, I created a highly focused explorer character. So light armor for easy movement, a spear as a stronger walking stick (and to keep things at a safe distance), Alteration for movement spells, and a few other skills to help with movement and solo survival.

With the new Morrowind Overhaul, some mods to increase movement speed and magicka regen, it's a bit faster paced, and now I'm off on my sightseeing tour.

My destination is the towers just visible in front of the sun.

Getting a bit closer.

Here we are. Not visible, two more cliff racers.

I've never actually seen that the observatory has an external part.

The road to Caldera.

Pelagiad. It's like a little slice of High Rock.

Heading into Suran after a pilgrimage.

Morrowind can be so pretty with all the mods, I feel the nostalgia coming back....

Sigh, now I want to re-install it.

I would recommend the "Less Generic NPC" mods if you haven't already. Adds a ton of dialog, new quests, etc to the NPCs in the game. Makes the world feel much more alive and makes every NPC truly unique with their own story to tell.

Wow those graphics are pretty nice considering the age of the game. I may have to play it again myself. Course I never finished Oblivion so I am debating doing that first, this time with some mods.

Thanks for the inspiring thread Fluent!

You dont have to do anything really fancy or involved, texture pack, better bodies and faces, better clothes, and it's already 100% looking better.

Morrowind can be a beautiful experience, i played thru last year and was surprised how much difference a few textures make!

Yeah, it can be beautiful, some nice, crisp new textures, better bodies, faces, etc. like you said makes a huge difference.

I was watching my dad play Morrowind today on his 360, and I was pretty surprised how good it looked actually. Completely un-modded. That said, it still feels much better to play the game modded with a fresh coat of paint on it.

If you like Morrowind - I suggest you to try Dragonborn DLC for Skyrim - it has similar climate and soundtrack.

You dont have to do anything really fancy or involved, texture pack, better bodies and faces, better clothes, and it's already 100% looking better.

Morrowind can be a beautiful experience, i played thru last year and was surprised how much difference a few textures make!

Something that increases the view distance really helps, too. You can appreciate the world a lot more that way, and it's much, much easier to find your way around.

That is mighty impressive! I'll have to do a replay at some point, but my gaming schedule is booked for now.

I wanted to install the graphic overhaul myself, but I realized when reading the instructions that I would have to spend at least an afternoon just getting everything set up. It's still my intention to do that, but that scared me off at the time.

Is the same team still working on the Gameplay mod collection as well?

That's MSGO 3.0 right? What are your specs and OS, and what is your average framerate?

It's not uber-powerful, but it's good enough to get the job done. Win7 64bit, 2.8GHz Phenom II x4 830, 6GB RAM, Radeon 6670. You can see the FPS in the screenshots (16-20ish outdoors), but it doesn't ever feel that low. I've not felt the need to go in and turn any settings down yet. I've seen people with much higher spec systems report lower FPS, so I think it's incredibly variable.

I wanted to install the graphic overhaul myself, but I realized when reading the instructions that I would have to spend at least an afternoon just getting everything set up. It's still my intention to do that, but that scared me off at the time.

It's not too bad, really. Adding it to an existing install caused problems, but when I did a fresh install it was pretty simple and only took a few minutes. Then it just comes down to how many other mods you want to install.

It's not uber-powerful, but it's good enough to get the job done. Win7 64bit, 2.8GHz Phenom II x4 830, 6GB RAM, Radeon 6670. You can see the FPS in the screenshots (16-20ish outdoors), but it doesn't ever feel that low. I've not felt the need to go in and turn any settings down yet. I've seen people with much higher spec systems report lower FPS, so I think it's incredibly variable.

The last version I tried was 2.0, and it was pretty choppy for me in Win7 64bit with a Phenom II x4 965 and Geforce GTX 470 OC. I had heard that performance was improved with version 3.0.

The framerate was *much* smoother on the same system in Win XP though, so there's the possibility that it just doesn't like Win 7.

I've heard people report choppiness with the Overhaul even with monster setups that should handle it no problem. It seems that mod doesn't like some people's computers.

I've heard people report choppiness with the Overhaul even with monster setups that should handle it no problem. It seems that mod doesn't like some people's computers.

Yeah I think it has lots to do with the operating system, 3.0 runs nice and smooth on my machine with Vista64 but lousy on Windows 7(I have Dual Operating Systems on this machine).

Taking a stroll into Gnaar Mok

Ald'ruhn at dawn

Maar Gan at night

More Maar Gan

View from the Ghostfence

Yeah, the TES world, particularly Morrowind, has such an Immersive and cozy gameworld that just seeing it makes me want to slip it on like a comfy old worn-in pair of slippers

Aye, though what you can't see in the screenshots is how empty it feels. For the most part, it was tolerable because the setting is so much more interesting than Oblivion. However, spending 10 minutes walking from A to B in the northern wastes only interrupted by annoying cliff racers was so mind numbingly boring it prevents me from firing up Morrowind more often.

Still, I will do it one day, no doubt about it.

Back
Top Bottom