Bethesda Softworks - Teaser Image

I am not sure why they wouldn't have gone for Arx2 as well. The market is hot for fantasy games at the moment - while this will have to compete against all the other big name action games - AC, Batman, Bioshock etc etc.

Ok, let me be simple for you then:

Assassin's Creed: A lot of platforming from a 3rd-person perspective. No true stealth/sneaking system, only fighting. No multiple solutions to resolve quests - just do what the game forces you to do.

Batman: A very-well made action game(s) but with extremely linear level design and scripted sequences. Rather than have a choice, you are forced to either be stealthy or take an all-out combat route based on what the game is forcing you to do at the time, with very clearly defined stealth and action sequences.

From what has been revealed about Dishonored, it won't be like either of the above. The atmosphere also seems to be highly unique. What exactly isn't creative here?

And Assassin characters are played out? Based on what? The fact that only a few games have ever used such a premise? It's actually a seldom used plot device, and one that is very refreshing compared to the usual "hero with a destiny" or "born with magical powers unseen for a thousand years" or "fulfill the ancient prophecy" ideas.

There's just so much wrong with that statement I don't even know where to start…so a good argument is one that isn't fleshed out or articulated at all? You must hate reading books ;).

Ah no, I can't stand reading wandering pointless diatribes that cannot convey a concise thought. I don't come here to read (or write) poorly written novels.

You to fail to understand why playing another parkor stealthy assassin type is even remotely exciting. I guess you must be happy with the same regurgitated and slightly digested together ideas, over and over again. Not me.

How about something original? At least Risen 2 is trying the pirate angle. I give them that.

Ah no, I can't stand reading wandering pointless diatribes that cannot convey a concise thought. I don't come here to read (or write) poorly written novels.
You to fail to understand why playing another parkor stealthy assassin type is even remotely exciting. I guess you must be happy with the same regurgitated and slightly digested together ideas, over and over again. Not me.

EDIT: Eh, never mind. More hostility won't solve anything. We just have different opinions on the matter, and that's that. I let some unnecessary jabs get under my skin, so I should just ignore it and move on rather than waste my time trying to have a discussion with someone who doesn't wish to communicate in a respectful manner.

Last edited:
Sorry to be disrespectful, but I don't have the patience for long winded discussions. Arguments need to be factual and to the point to keep me interested.

And when it comes to preferences, they are what they are. This sneaky assassin type character just makes me go - bleh. The concept is so tired for me. After AC, DE:HR, Skyrim, Batman. Not to say that others may like it…

But don't try to change my mind by saying that regurgitated ideas are OK because some good games are basically refinements and retreads… Arguments by analogy don't pass go with me.

Last edited:
PeteHines said:
You do know that we make other games besides Skyrim.

What an ass, when I follow bethsoft news it's because I'm interested in the games bethesda makes, not the ones made by someone else and published by zenimax under the bethesda name.

Now, that's a well-paid ass :D Not as good as Tiger Woods' exwife, but still…

Cool cinematic. Do we know anything about it beyond the info on the website? It doesn't really seem like an RPG. The previously mentioned "steam punk Assassin's Creed" description seems fairly accurate based on the little info I've seen so far.

Oh I like the setting. Right up my alley really.

I also like the art direction in the cinematic, because it is less overbearingly the HL2/Bioshock mix I've seen in the screens that have surfaced a while back. It actually seemed to have a more even and somewhat more individual look there, but you know its what in the game that counts and we yet have to see this conclusively. I hope I have it all wrong from those couple of screens but they show me a look that for me does not fit this setting as well as it/they fit the aforementioned games.

Art direction aside (which is a very big issue as mood and atmosphere will be as a big deal with this as they were with the Thief games, I suspect), the gameplay is my biggest unknown (and possible meh) bit. If it is more thief (and it does sound like thief in bits but all we got thus far is lots of talk :) ) then sign me up. If its the gimmicky AC/Bioshock mix that is implied by this trailer then don't even bother with a demo :)

Cool cinematic. Do we know anything about it beyond the info on the website? It doesn't really seem like an RPG. The previously mentioned "steam punk Assassin's Creed" description seems fairly accurate based on the little info I've seen so far.

If I was to hazard a guess I would say it is going to be as much RPG as DMoMM was ;)
Unfortunately for Arkane the goodwill created by Arx only translates to one forgettable (but still fun for most of a single playthrough) action game. They sorta need to sell me on this one…

Last edited:
Looks good sounds good and it better be good. Many game promise but very few deliver on it. Not my most anticipated game or Rpg this year but still interesting.

Now if we only could get a real steam punk rpg. I haven't played a good one since Arcanum. The Shadowrun kick starter looks like a start.

Last edited:
It doesn't really seem like an RPG.

We don't consider it a "real" RPG, which is why it wasn't included in our Most Anticipated GotY Award in January. We cover it because we have a thing for Arkane and we've always covered a few outsiders like Thief. As far as I can tell from here, your description is pretty close.

Harvey Smith, the creator of Deus Ex, is the lead designer of Dishonored. It's more "steampunk Deus Ex" than "steampunk Assassin's Creed" in term of gameplay. You just happen to play an "assassin".

The game have some character progression (similar to Invisible War), choices&consequences and different ways to solve missions.

Back
Top Bottom