The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

On Lammannia the Patch 2 seems to be under testing right now - and its notes say that the Monster Manual is now (finally !) there ...

@ All the "boys".....women speak in those low tones because we know you never listen, but over time do learn you better not give the wrong answer, so you actually do start turning your brains on when you hear more then a few words or suffer........:cm:

Ah, so it was a bigger misunderstanding on my side ?

I guess that I would have to o quests more often with them so that I can better keep their voices apart … ;)

Yesterday I did another Catacombs run on elite - that was fun until we got to a spikes trap (the quest where you'vwe got to run away from the Wraith) where nearly everyone died. At one point there was only 1 or 2 group members left - and they still insisted that one could avoid that trap ! LOL !

I did, however, after I had died there I astonishingly succeeded in speeding through the trap - being very close to the wall. Tht seems to be a good and viable yet dangerous method … The rest of the querst was very smooth apart from the fighter and the driud (the leader) running around so fast that I (as a Cleric) couldn't focus and this couldn't heal them. It was difficult.

As the reward I took the neverending small staff/wand of healing … I think I'll play it through with my Artificer again to get the runearm from there, too.

Two things: First, if people run away from the healer, they get what they deserve!! :) Second, if you want the Rune Arm, DON'T run the quest with your Arti; haven't you realised yet that the game NEVER gives you an appropriate end reward? I remember running Sorrowdusk with Jo when she was playing her Arti; she was the ONLY person not offered the Rune Arm!!

Yes, but most of us could't jump that wall at level 4-5. No-one could.
And all first-lifers.

@Dm : I have read about a scientific study today which says that women (at least those in Europe ?) have finally urpassed men in regard to IQ … I find this frightening … ;)

@Corwin : Yes, I do remember my Cleric being presented with that runearm as the end reward … :lol: - But when I did the chain with Cm (?), my Arti didn't get it … :lol:

By the way, regarding rewards : I finished the Crafting Hall Tutorial/uest yesterday with my Cleric. Lo and behold, he was presented with end rewards ! - My Arti got "only" 500 Experience points a few weeks or days ? ago (pre-Patch 1) in the same quest, but my Cleric got rewards yesterday !

He was presented with

- crafting xp boost potion
- crafting success thingy (looks like a hammer)
- a Pendant Of Time limited to/with 20 uses

All bound to character, if I remember correctly.

I took the last one. Because I plan to work out my Arti as the "group crafter" for my alts, which means that he will specialize in unbound shards. ut it is till a bit too early for that right now.

In the last days & weeks I got more wooden shields than before … I think I'll place a few of them into the guild chest for our Druids.

You have to remember, Az characters can all jump to the airship without using the transporter. Not sure how he does it but I think they have a jump skill of 100 at birth and it climbs (pun intended) expidentually as they level. ;)

105 Jump actually. :p It's been awhile since I've done Catacombs, but I think there's a vase against the wall by that particular trap. Jump on it, then jump up and grab the wall.

Alrik, "Bound" shards are Bound to Account, and bind the item to character when used. So you don't need to grind out 150 levels to send shards to your other characters.

Ah yes, the vase; the one I usually break before I remember I need it to jump on the wall!! :)

Usually. Though a friendly Wizard or Druid should be able to prop you up to making that jump. Maybe Rangers as well, though they're a bit tight on level 1 spell slots for awhile. If not, jump potions will work as well.

There, one Druid was in a Wolf form and wasn't able to jump thre. He was disappointed, as he typied his remarks about it in the chat window.
Remember : First-lifers.

And I've jumped it on first lifers. Multi-lifers have a few more build points, and a extra passive feat of varying value. You can have an outstandingly powerful 28 point build, and a horrific nightmare of a 36 point build completionist. TRs add very little at low level, really. The only thing they really have by the mid levels is (usually) better gear waiting on them.

The difference being that I almost always put points into Jump, and quite often have clickies or potions if not the spell Jump to help get over things. One life as a Cleric who couldn't clear a pebble on the road was more than enough thank you!

Well, I admit that there are items for jumping and that I usually put a few points into jumping, too.

Different topic : Now that was not fun !

It's been one of the really rare PUGs where it just wasn't fun. We started as 3 people, one suddenly claimed he or she "was stuck" and "couldn't move", and then got booted.

And it was Redwillow's Ruins.

Then we were two. He with 2 hirelings.

I don't know of he was just too young, a Newbie, a Noob or simply incompetent … His way of working through the quest was kind of erratic, and he perhaps didn't do the quest before … But then he showed a few sparks of fighting tactics I haven't seen in this quest myself (and I PUGged it I think 2-3 times already).

Worst was that seemingly the booted player got an item we needed and thus couldn't deliver - so we had to restart everything again.

Deaths ! We had 5 deaths both, with my releasing 2 times and fetching and carrying the soul stones to the nearest shrine and battling Trolls, too. In the end i bought myself a hireling because I was just fed up with it. Worked better, but didn't prevent me from another troll-inflicted death. What wondered me was that he still was so patient to wait for me battling the trolls and carrying his soul stone and that of his hirelings to the nearest shrine.

And - he didn't command his Cleric hireling to rest to get his magic back. Nope. Nothing.

In the end we barely made it (with me getting blinded by the end boss), and then he seeimingly went out, because I couldn't see him anymore, and last i saw of him was the message that his character had died. Seconds later he left the group.

The better for me ! Because then i could get all the remaining treasure ! 2-3 chests still weren't unopened … Simply because we had rather concentrated on bringing the items back to Mr. Redwillow himself …

But it wasn't fun. The reward calmed down my sourness a bit, but it wasn't fun. I'll be more careful in the future, especially since he did use a weird language.

Now I'm more convinced than ever NOT to join a PUG!! :)

Lower level quests are better done within the guild. Soon we will TR again and have several low level toons you can play with.

The most important factor of all quests is knowing what to expect. We know most quests from earlier run throughs so we should be able to do well. If I remember correctly we have done almost all quests from level 1 to 16 on elite with out current TR's. We have succeeded all of them even though we have the occasional death in our group.

Most low level quests can be run with 3 PC's and 3 hirelings on elite. It's the trap heavy quests you need a rogue / artificer to succeed.

So if you have problems with your PUG's it's probably because people don't know what to expect. There are quite a lot of good low level PUG players and if you see quests forming on elite you can expect the TR's to go there to keep the bravery bonus up.

Well, I must admit that of my roughly 20 PUGs I did so far, only 2 were really bad (like this one) and ca. 5 or so were so-and-so.

There are quite a lot of good low level PUG players and if you see quests forming on elite you can expect the TR's to go there to keep the bravery bonus up.

Yes. And the best way to learn who they are is to PUG and THEN add them to your friends list !

I have several of the "best PUGgers" on my friends list, and if I see them doing a quest, I can be sure that they'll know what they are doing - and that they are friendly, too (not always polite, but friendly counts as well). With this knowledge I can almost instantly (prepared, of course !) join into their groups, if they do any. Or ask them via in-game chat if they are doing a quest and ask if they want me join.

And of course, always add what class you are and what level you are. Always helpful is to add if you have voice chat as well (or if you don't have voice chat), how good you know the quest, and if you did it with alts. That tells them that you are not a total Newbie to that quest. And always politely inform them if you are rebuffing and/or doing repairs/selling stuff. Friendlyness really makes life easier !

A different topic : I think there is a big surprise awaiting us in the DDO Store ! The "cosmetic pet" entries there have some very interesting tell-tale entries ! ;)

I corrected the in-game guild message rtegarding the free item of the week, by the way. The right code fopr the Lesser Slayer Count Boost x1 is : LSCB12 .

Tomorrow there'll be new items.

Well, so now my Artificer turned 6. He still needs 1 point, then he can get the Prestige Enhancement.

What I noticed, by the way, is, that some classes have an easier way to it than others. The Artificer, as far as I have understood it, needs only Enhancements for that.
Other classes require Feats for that. Which of course "costs more", so to say, because one must be very careful with what to chose there.

And this is one of the many elements of (A)D&D I never quite understood : Why are there so many Feats available when only a tiny fraction of them can ever be used within a Character's lifetime ? I'm not even asking for a Jack-Of-All-Trades, but at least a few more should imho be possible. I never understood this restriction to a select few Feats.

Enhancements, yes, that's much better like i envisioned a Character's progress. There are many more, they build on top on one another (requirements) and they are - to me - much more logical.

They often look to me as if they had been an more recent addition, and the Feats were more ancient in the rules set. The Feats often lack a distinct logic, especially considering how few a Character is really allowed to have throughout one's life. And especially regarding the fact that a *lot* of Enhancements look to me like Feats in disguise (so to say).

Regarding the surprise I hinted at in my earlier post :
I have already seen 1-2 persons having a yellow Gelatinous Cube as a pet. I don't know where they have them from, because the DDO store only has tricks for this pet so far.
I expected them to arrive at Friday, though.

Edit : I just found out where they have it from : The web site says this :

Refer your friends and get and exclusive creature companion!
Juli 19, 2012
Es gibt derzeit keinen übersetzungen.
Click here to find out how to recruit your friends to play DDO, and get an exclusive Gelatinous Cube creature companion!

It's tied up in the history of D&D. Originally, there were classes. That allowed for no customization of characters, so (for example) all fighters were identical. Conan and Errol Flynn were the same as far as the game mechanics worked and thus the development path was identical and boring.

Enter feats. This allowed toons to differentiate some. In order to maintain some balance between the classes, the number of feats and the ones that each class could take were largely limited. Notice that the more popular and most vanilla class (fighter) got more viable choices.

Now, with that system safely worked out and balanced over several years, players decided they wanted more character customization and wanted it more often. Enter enhancements.

Thank you. I'm unfamiliar with D&D history.

It reminds me, however, of TDE history. Things were similar there : Only a few classes at thre beginning, and throughout the editions, more diversity came in. Until the complex system of now, 4.1 .

I have the feeling as if this is either

- the way everything goes (evolution)
- a case of fashion in role-playing ?

I don't know, but I think it's rather both parts mixed up/entwined with one another. There is fashion everywhere, so why not in gaming, too ? Plus there is also evolution - within a set of constraints. It might lead to almost ultimate diversification (jungle) or to monotomy (desert, monopoly).

In an TDE discussion someone recently wrote that "we didn't know it better" (in this sense), and that TDE 3rd edition was considered boring and old-school only after the 4th edition had arrived.

From the front page :

Get +20% Challenge rewards, now through July 24th!

From a role-playing perspective, it makes sense as an evolutionary thing. You start with a basic system and players learn it and decide they like it. At that point, it's all about fundamental game mechanics. With basic mechanics under control, the players start focusing on role-playing and discover that the system has lots of constraints. So it's a constant pressure on the game designers to remove more and more of those constraints without destroying the underlying mechanics. Plus, it's a self-feeding process—as players are allowed to indulge their imaginations, they allow their imaginations to become more detailed and specific.

Back
Top Bottom