Deathspank - PC Review @ IGN

Dhruin

SasqWatch
IGN is impressed with the PC version of Deathspank, awarding a score of 8.5/10 in their review:
When I was done marveling at the visuals, the dialogue took center stage as it is extremely amusing. Humor is definitely DeathSpank's crown jewel. If you've ever wondered whether or not chickens have lips or what occupation a retired World of Warcraft character would have, then look no further. The dialogue menu is similar to Monkey Island – your list of conversation options shows up on the bottom half of the screen and you pick what your hero will say. It's fun to choose bizarre dialogue paths and see where they go in this game.

Still, I was slightly letdown by the side missions. Dubbed "Unimportant Things I Need to Do," they seemed appropriately named. Because Monkey Island is known for its puzzles as well as its humor, I was expecting more puzzle-centric quests. However a vast majority of the "Unimportant Things" followed the same formula as the main missions -- fetching ingredients and items or happily slaying monsters on behalf of other people. Granted, this is what most RPG's deliver, but I was expecting a bit more given the developer's background. Quest givers can hand out task after task, which can get extremely tedious. Still, I completed every mission (both side and main) in around eight hours, so there are plenty of tasks to finish.
More information.

Deathspank was the most uninspired game I've played in a long time. It's kinda fun to run around with a friend and mindlessly slash at things but it is nothing like MI, if you discount the silly humour.

I'd like to give this game a try. Is there anyway to buy it other than Steam? Is there a direct download available somewhere?

8.5 seems pretty high for what I heard about this game. Never played it and probably never will so I can't fairly judge. I just know that the reveiws I read weren't that positive about it.

I love this type of ARPG's {hack n slash} , the art style is what makes this game stand out. Im gonna pick this up when they release Thongs Of Virtue on PC and have a Deathromp. Very pleased this is available on PC.

humor is something I never 'got' in PC games, probably because English is not my native language, so many of the jokes that are based on pronunciation or wordplay just go whoosh over my head. I remember when I played the Monkey Islands they were just ok games to me, but my friend was like 'DUDE! This is the best adventure game ever, it's so hilarious!'.

Back
Top Bottom