Darkest Dungeon - A New RPG About Adventuring

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Darkest Dungeon is a new RPG being developed by a studio called Red Hook Studios.

Tactical, strategic, and deceptively deep, combat in Darkest Dungeon combines nostalgia with the elegance of modern design. It will challenge you in fresh new ways. Party order is crucial for setting up attacks, but it can also expose your heroes to threats. At all times, you must juggle the need to do damage with the importance of protecting the health and minds of your party members. Train, upgrade, and adjust your loadout to find the right combination of skills, honing your party into a four-person monster-wrecking Special Forces team.
The site also has news about the upcoming Kickstarter and Steam.

We'll have a new trailer that gives you some backstory on the gameworld, as well as some actual gameplay footage, screenshots and additional information about the game systems - including a preview of the Town!

The new trailer has been dubbed "The House of Ruin", and will feature Wayne June reprising his role as the narrator, and Stuart Chatwood bringing the business with an epic score.

As the campaign progresses, we'll have developer video updates, a livestream of a new class reveal, OST preview, and much more.

If you're in the know, and following the game at all, the best thing you can do to help is back us early. A strong first push on Kickstarter is usually integral to the campaign's overall success and will really have a huge impact on our day 1 showing.

Oh yeah, and we're approved to distribute on Steam, too.
More information.

Tactical, strategic, and deceptively deep, combat in Darkest Dungeon combines nostalgia with the elegance of modern design.

Video looks like it's a simulation of a board game, animated with "cardboard cutouts". Might be good or might not be, but I'm not really getting the nostalgia claim. I've been playing computer games as long as they've been around, and that doesn't remind me of any old games.

Well we all can't be cynical, and nit-pick every game on site now can we. May I recommend the RPG Codex. I think you would fit in better over there. ;)

The game website description is better than the one above.
Darkest Dungeon is a hard-core RPG about the stresses of dungeon crawling. You will lead a band of four heroes on a perilous side-scrolling descent, dealing with a prodigious number of threats to their bodily health, and worse, a relentless assault on their mental fortitude! Five hundred feet below the earth you will not only fight unimaginable foes, but famine, disease, and the stress of the ever-encroaching dark.

Darkest Dungeon focuses on the humanity and psychological vulnerability of the heroes and asks: What emotional toll does a life of adventure take? Darkest Dungeon is not a game where every hero wins the day with shiny armor and a smile. It is a game about hard trade-offs, nearly certain demise, and heroic acts. Prepare to experience an RPG like nothing you have played before..
The game has my intrest and I doubt I will lose it.:)

Last edited:
Well we all can't be cynical, and nit-pick every game on site now can we.

My comment here was neutral. Most of the comments I've made, other than that one idiot thread (and I stared nice, there) have been positive. I make a conscious effort to avoid commenting on games you post about which I know I won't like, because I know that bothers you.

May I recommend the RPG Codex. I think you would fit in better over there.

I think I wouldn't. They've got even more low IQ people who believe they're entitled to high IQ opinions there than you do here.

man, i loved it. its a perfect recipe : good sound, good art and gameplay won't fail

ps: why bash a newcommer. you either love it or ignore it. bash the big boys

That was a great video! Looked like a mix of board games, good art and rpg goodness. I might have to back this =)

If they keep that art style I'm interested. A dungeon that isn't lit up like an indoor shopping mall is a welcome thing.

Ok I loved the video, insta-pledge!
EDIT: Oh crap, kickstarter starts in Feb. 10th, hope I remember this then

I am in too, art style is nice and everything about game sounds good if they can pull it of.

Your Bard has seen one too many party members die in combat, and is prone to nihilistic rants, stressing the other party members! Do you send him carousing in town to blow off some steam, or consign him to the sanitarium to collect himself?

Your Man-at-Arms has begun relying on the bottle as much as his battleaxe. His inebriated fury is a welcome damage boost for the party, but he has grown increasingly unpredictable and erratic. Do you bench him in town, or simply lash more liquor to his pack?

At camp, your Plague Doctor's methods unnerve your Highwayman, and he refuses her treatments. Maybe you should rethink the idea of combining them in the same party again.

A critical hit from a skeleton sends your Vestal reeling, and instills in her a crippling fear of the Undead. She can fight well enough against other foes, but if you expect her to keep her head through the Crypts, you'll first need to send her to the Cathedral to do some serious prayer and contemplation.
I am especially intrigued about this part of gameplay.

I really hope it turns out to be the game it's advertised to be, because it looks a like a damn good game to me.

I've seen this trailer before and I still am as interested as I was the first time. Looks very interesting. I know some games have dealt with negative personality traits (Realms of Arkania comes to mind) but none have made it such a focus. Really cool.

Back
Top Bottom