Top 5 Best Diablo Clones @ Hellforge

magerette

Hedgewitch
Gamebanshee posts a link to this Top 5 list over at blog site Hellforge, which lists five among the thousands of Diablo clones that rise above the rest; Mythos, Divine Divinity, Dungeon Siege II, Titan Quest and Sacred.
Here's a snip from the Divine Divinity section:
Here's an RPG that borrows as much from Diablo as it does from Origin's RPG classic, Ultima VII. Despite the game's role-playing features and interactive environments, much of the game consists of hacking and slashing random monsters, Diablo style.

The one thing that really sets Divine Divinity from every other game on this list is its strong storyline and fleshed out setting. It's rare enough to find a game that puts so much emphasis on its story, much less an action RPG which does so.
More information.

About Divinity:

A real sequel is currently in the works, with dragons.

This might attract a lot of this kind of players, because of the powerfullness of dragons.

I'm sure that there's a reason why the dragons were explicitely mentioned.

I thought it was silly to mention a game that you can't play in the list. Of the remaining, I liked all of them to a certain degree. Sacred is the only one I never finished and that was because of the insane number of creatures that you have to fight and the randomness of finding combat arts. Sacred was wonderfully large though. I got my money's worth.

What's funny to me is that I played all of the clones but never could get into Diablo itself. I missed both Diablos when they came out and by the time I got to them the graphics were atrocious and I couldn't get caught up in the gameplay :)

Mythos is a poor choice if the thing isn't released and not working. Just dumb. How about mentioning Nox?

DivDiv to me is what Diablo should have been. I thought to myself after trying out Diablo that this would be a good engine for an RPG. To me, Diablo was an arcade-like game like Robotron. That is why I was happy to see someone get it right.

Seal of Evil is worth a mention because of the crafting system alone. You just have to get past some of the bad choices for voice actors. Prince of Qin I can't say I played but I heard it wasn't good.

DS2 - oh pleeeease! It was a good attempt but still failed. I notice he doesn't mention Space Siege.

So many clones..so many fails...

Heck, Diablo can be considered a clone.

HA! I just clicked on here to mention Nox, I loved that game.

I'd forgotten all about Nox. It seemed very small compared to the rest of the group. I really don't remember much about it.

@LD I don't remember Seal of Evil at all. Was it decently sized? I generally like my games to have a large world....

DS2 - oh pleeeease! It was a good attempt but still failed. I notice he doesn't mention Space Siege.

Oh pleeeease! Why the snarky Space Siege comment? Dungeon Siege 2 was a decent game in its genre, much better than its prequel. I'd even imagine that some people wouldn't like the Divine Divinity variation and prefered Diablo. These people are so stupid, yeah?

When do people understand that there is no absolute reality?

Loved Nox, but I'd rate that more as a "serious RPG" than most hack'n slash games. Certainly not a Diablo clone in my opinion. Titan Quest, Sacred, etc are proper hack'n slash games.

I found Nox cute-looking.

Fate

I like NOX too, it has some very unique aspects and very nice graphic design. Though, at late game, the weapons got damaged far too easy.

Titan Quest was very fun also, for a time, with the fabulous character build that was obviously very well designed, as you didn't have to "wait" for using your skills points, like in Diablo II. And the class system was great. Only thing that really ruined Titan Quest, was it's non-existant story that could have been easily fixed with some ingame videos (ex. between chapters).

My current favorite action RPG at the moment is FATE. At first it looks like a kids' game, but after few minutes of gameplay it gets very addictive and has great playability.

@LD I don't remember Seal of Evil at all. Was it decently sized? I generally like my games to have a large world....

We had a long discussion about Seal of Evil awhile back in this thread. It has a lot of info and links if you want to look into it. :)

Sacred rules ! That type of gameplay usually bores me to tears, but Sacred was able to somehow keep me interested. I think the free-roaming thing helped. I'd like to play Titan Quest, just havent gotten around to obtaining a copy yet.

Unlike most i guess, I liked Dungeon Siege, but when i played the demo for DS2 i found it totally boring!

Back
Top Bottom