Pillars of Eternity - Gameplay Trailer

I'm sure the ceiling above the developers heads would have cracked and lava filled fissures would have opened below their feet IF they increased all GUI window sizes so LARGER FONTS could have been accommodated ~ 2x current size.

Can't get it, why is it important to convey as little information as possible by constricted little windows and nigh unreadable little fonts? Are the developers SHY of what they are writing so it is best left in small fonts so the fewer people can read it the better??

Playing original sin i find i am losing my hype about pillars,
Not really impressed so far. I really hope that i am wrong because i loved bladurs gate!

Nothing can make me hate this game, and that includes small fonts. I'm not kidding as none of the videos have shaken my faith that Obsidian wont deliver.

Now Wasteland 2 that is a different story.:biggrin:

The character figures should be portrayed smaller. They look fine in gameplay,
just upclose you notice their flaws. I have to say the character creation options
look just awesome. As far as gameplay goes this one looks really promising for me. It looks more in depth than most I.E. games, and certainly much more in depth than say Shadowrun Returns.

The character figures should be portrayed smaller. They look fine in gameplay,
just upclose you notice their flaws.

Nowadays only few people zoom in that far, I guess ...

Nowadays only few people zoom in that far, I guess …

The figures in the original Baldur's Gate were pretty undetailed, and it looks fine from a bird's eye view. Even in the inventory they were shown relatively small. The figures I've seen in various videos of PoE look pretty good from the bird's eye view. The faces are the weak point, and the detail in general. If you pull back or make them smaller (in the character creation menu) it would look better.

Think it looks great - perhaps people are just expecting modern day graphics on an older style game IMO. Easy to forget what BG actually looked liked back when you played it. You tend to not remember the flaws and just the good memories.

Think it looks great - perhaps people are just expecting modern day graphics on an older style game IMO. Easy to forget what BG actually looked liked back when you played it. You tend to not remember the flaws and just the good memories.

If you check the official forums, people are bitching a lot more about gameplay issues than about the graphics though. Which is a good sign, I guess :)

Well, the biggest reason I never could play BG is the horrible character graphics, I don't see any reason to keep making characters that you can't get attached to because they don't have any faces in engine... even if it is supposed to reproduce that old-school "feel".

Well, the biggest reason I never could play BG is the horrible character graphics, I don't see any reason to keep making characters that you can't get attached to because they don't have any faces in engine… even if it is supposed to reproduce that old-school "feel".

Well if graphics are going to stand in your way. . . they just are. This game, despite the succesful kickstarter has a fraction of the budget that Neverwinter Nights 2 or Alpha Protocal did. And Obsidian has dedicated a lot of those resources into storytelling and game mechanics. Of course I started playing games in the 80s, so I'm not bothered by old fashioned graphics. I've always enjoyed roleplaying games for their stories and complexity.

Well, the biggest reason I never could play BG is the horrible character graphics, I don't see any reason to keep making characters that you can't get attached to because they don't have any faces in engine… even if it is supposed to reproduce that old-school "feel".

That's what the player portraits are for!

Gameplay pretty much looks just like an IE game with better special effects. Works for me!

I don't have a problem with font sizes and I'm going blind in my old age. I do get sick of small windows though since I have used large monitors for about 20 years it seems and don't give a crap if people who want to game on tiny laptops suffer.

Since they ARE windows, would it be so bad if game developers embraced windowing concepts and made things resizeable, moveable, and had settings retained, so people could tweak UI to their liking instead of hoping some random designer picks a setup that works for everybody (which is impossible). You could even let people change fonts so people who want to emulate the original nintendo for font sizes can do so.

Otherwise, looks good, and can't wait. This game is aptly named because it's seemingly in development for a freakin' eternity.

Character gen looks a little weak to me in that it looks like the same bodies morphed between races and that kind of system always seems really generic to me, but this is not much of a concern for me in this game where the isometric characters are only going to show so much detail anyways during gameplay.

Divinity only disappoints me in that they went beyond overboard with the elemental thing and using melee characters is miserable. Combat is way too much about disables and ends up being repetitive with long and tedious battles. The mechanics of the fighting itself aren't too bad, just way too much emphasis on elemental everything, way too many ways to disable melees, way too much need of summoning to deal with the way too many enemies in EVERY battle and it all gets to be tedious and repetitive.

I was loving divinity at first but got tired of it because the battles take an eternity to resolve - and this is from someone who tends to prefer combat heavy RPGs (ex I prefer IWD to BG).

Looks good to me. The demo party size was only five members, so I presume there's a slot for another pickup. Also, I hope that spell list wraps into multiple rows when it gets too long.

I am super excited for this game! I really like that the combat appears to be tactical and challenging :) I just wish there was some kind of orc-like race in the game, as I typically like to pick hose types of races for my player character.

Well if graphics are going to stand in your way. . . they just are. This game, despite the succesful kickstarter has a fraction of the budget that Neverwinter Nights 2 or Alpha Protocal did. And Obsidian has dedicated a lot of those resources into storytelling and game mechanics. Of course I started playing games in the 80s, so I'm not bothered by old fashioned graphics. I've always enjoyed roleplaying games for their stories and complexity.

I understand that, but I don't see how it'd cost a lot more to give the characters a face in engine. I don't mind bad graphics, but even mario in the first super mario bros had a face... so that you could identify yourself with him. With those faceless goons, I just can't care about what happens to them.

Yes there are portraits, but it is just not the same thing, it is just like keeping a pictures of your characters next to you while playing to see what their faces "might" look like. It really breaks the immersion a lot for me, some are not bothered by it of course.

I am super excited for this game! I really like that the combat appears to be tactical and challenging :) I just wish there was some kind of orc-like race in the game, as I typically like to pick hose types of races for my player character.

Auamaua? They're large and ugly... should fit the bill.

Back
Top Bottom