Top 11 Epic RPGs @ UGO

A slight change is needed imo, (we're talking all-time here)...

1) Baldur's Gate 2
2) Baldur's Gate 1

...and Morrowind should rate well ahead of Oblivion.

We all knew Oblivion would be there, though I agree that Morrowind should be there instead. Aside from that they made fairly obvious choices - but I liked the bold choice of FF6 over 7 ...

Oblivion joins death and taxes in it's inevitability on these lists. The others are pretty normal choices(though I haven't heard of the anime ones).

I liked their list of the Top Fantasy Films also--Conan the Barbarian, Princess Bride, Jason and the Argonauts, Time Bandits...Good stuff.

I'm impressed. While there are many games I disagree with (I too think Morrowind trumps Oblivion and G2 beats out G1 and no Fallout?), and the list seems to contemporay oriented, on the whole it is a very reasonable top 11 that seems to want to pick the best of the best. I think it's a great job, probably the best mag/web site top listing that I have ever seen.

NOTE: usually gamer threads that do the same thing normally have a better list IMO.

We all knew Oblivion would be there, though I agree that Morrowind should be there instead. Aside from that they made fairly obvious choices - but I liked the bold choice of FF6 over 7 ...

Ssshhh, don't let JemyM hear you say that. :)

I would say take away Oblivion, Kotor, and Nocturne and add Fallout, Ultima series, and Might & Magic: World of Xeen

They are finally getting the credit they deserve for gothic.
The japanese game seemed interesting, never heard of it.
They even made bg2 sounds interesting but I don't have the courage to start it because bg1 made me so bored

Suikoden II was my third jrpg for the snes (secret of mana and chrono trigger then).
A W E S O M E togheter with the first, don't play the other of the series pure shit, and yes no copies of the game can be found anywhere!!

Gothic on the list, cool and deserved! No Fallout it's a shame....Oblivion instead of Morrowind is flawless.

Truly the Infinity Engine's finest hour, the awesomely deep Baldur's Gate II (and we're including the Throne of Bhaal expansion here) takes the Dungeons & Dragons universe and spins it out to an epic narrative of fate and betrayal. Moving away from the constant combat of most RPGs, Baldur's Gate II gives the player a host of ways to proceed through the story - they can play a barbarian and cleave skulls until the sun comes up but there are several other ways to play.

That's weird, because I played a mage with 18 in wisdom, interligence and charisma, and I spent most of the time fighting anyway...

And I allso wondered where Fallout was.

Übereil

They even made bg2 sounds interesting but I don't have the courage to start it because bg1 made me so bored

BG2 is a *lot* more fun and interesting that the first one. I was bored to tears by BG1, but have played through the second 3 or 4 times. I'm sure you can pick it up for next to nothing - give it a go. Oh, and if you can, install the Throne of Bhaal expansion at the same time - although I found the additional end-game stuff a bit tedious, it ToB adds in some extra things to the main BG2 game too.

Oh, and the glaring omission from the list? PS:T! I'm presuming by "epic" they are referring to quality and length of game? Though I suppose if you interpret "epic RPG" as "RPG where player is involved with generic save-the-world storyline", PS:T doesn't count, as it's more a personal voyage. Though the same could be said of BG2, to a lesser extent.

Oh, and the glaring omission from the list? PS:T! I'm presuming by "epic" they are referring to quality and length of game? Though I suppose if you interpret "epic RPG" as "RPG where player is involved with generic save-the-world storyline", PS:T doesn't count, as it's more a personal voyage. Though the same could be said of BG2, to a lesser extent.

Dude? Drugs? Shrooms? Booze? Or do you just need a new pair of glasses? :biggrin: ... Seriously, PS:T is on the list. Look again :) .

epic is the key word here. I assume it meant huge. This is why I wouldn't think that PS:T or IWD would count. FO2 might but not FO1 - especially as it was timed ;)

Arcanum was pretty epic. That game is an amazing accomplishment.

Dude? Drugs? Shrooms? Booze? Or do you just need a new pair of glasses? :biggrin: ... Seriously, PS:T is on the list. Look again :) .

Wow, my bad. I blame all of the above, in no particular order!

Back
Top Bottom