The Witcher 2 - March Newsletter

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The latest Witcher 2 newsletter is out from CD Projekt Red, which you can grab here if you haven't subscribed. The most interesting thing is the official sys reqs, which are quite light:
Official System Requirements for The Witcher 2 are finally here!
We have what so many of you have been asking for: system requirements for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. This should help you decide whether your gaming rig needs an update before May 17th.
Minimum Requirements:
Processor: Core 2Duo 2.2 GHz or dual core AMD 2.5 GHz
RAM: 1GB Win XP/ 2GB Vista/7
Graphics: GeForce 8800 512MB or Radeon (HD3850 512 MB)
HDD Space: 16 GB
Recommended Requirements:
Processor: Quad Core Intel or AMD
RAM: 3GB Win XP/ 4GB Vista/7
Graphics: GeForce 260 1GB or (HD4850 1GB)
HDD Space: 16 GB
More information.

Nice playing cards.

Pretty low requirements for such a wonderful looking game in screenshots... it's amazing what you can do when actually optimizing for PC hardware.

Looks like my P4 2.4 Ghz, ATI Radeon X1650 Pro w/512Mb ain't gonna pull that wagon.

Hello, Newegg?

I'm gonna be playing in 3D. Can't wait!!!

Lucky me, gonna enjoy this one in all its glory.
Well worth the investment. Use alot of energy savings inhouse, and with that money i can buy something decent every 2 years :)

Truely cant wait to play this game. Lucky HoMM6 and DX3 are later out this year.

I didn't know those were low requirements (or at least I can't remember) but for the recommended requirements it is the first time my system hasn't been above the recommended specs.

I didn't know those were low requirements (or at least I can't remember) but for the recommended requirements it is the first time my system hasn't been above the recommended specs.

low is be it of a misnomer, old would be better.

GeForce 8800 and 3850 are old cards (2006 for the 8800, 2007 for 3850).
Core Duo processors were released between 2006 and 2008 as well.

The minimum is an medium-highend computer from 4 years ago.
The recommended is a medium-highend computer from 2 years ago. (video cards released in 2008/2009).

Hmm... Seems nVidia and ATI didn't pay them to deoptimize the game. :D

Today, 04:49 Unread

Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
Looks like my P4 2.4 Ghz, ATI Radeon X1650 Pro w/512Mb ain't gonna pull that wagon.

Wagon? You couldn't pull a shopping cart with that setup.
================

I played the original Witcher on that system and it handled it pretty well. Looks like I see a new build in my future. Too many good games out there now that my old dinosaur can't run.

The reason for my post is comment on people saying it is low specs when it is higher then every other game before.

Today, 04:49 Unread

Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post

Wagon? You couldn't pull a shopping cart with that setup.
================

I played the original Witcher on that system and it handled it pretty well. Looks like I see a new build in my future. Too many good games out there now that my old dinosaur can't run.
Woo with a quite stronger configuration, Dual core 3Ghz, Radeon X1900, The Witcher 1 had many huge trouble of performance in some area and in the part where's there's a town in war it was so awful that I gave up.

The reason for my post is comment on people saying it is low specs when it is higher then every other game before.
I think you look at the optimal requirement when some other look at the minimum requirement. Myself with my recent video card update my current config is quite higher than minimal spec so I have good hope I'll be able play it soon after the release.

Quad core and a GTX 260 for max settings is not that bad, and in fact I do think some other games have had higher recommended requirements. People were worried that since it is a PC exclusive and a new engine it would take a super computer to max it, but obviously that is not the case, which is nice.

I pretty much only play rpgs so maybe there have been some non-rpgs with higher recommended specs.

PS. Actually I think the reason why I haven't seen rpgs with these kinds of specs is because most games are made for consoles without upping the quality for the PC. This game was made for the PC first so it takes advantage of the PC's more advanced hardware.

Very heavy CPU and RAM recommendations.. which is fantastic as we've had an excess of them for some time in the PC world.

Probably still uses an old DX9 codepath though :(

Probably still uses an old DX9 codepath though :(

Probably.. but I don't think it matters much. I think most Witcher fans are more concerned about the gameplay than the graphics, which look pretty good from what I've seen.

DirectX 10&11 don't seem to be much of a jump from DX9 anyways.

I'm playing through The Witcher now, in anticipation of the May 31st release date. Is that still firm? I forgot how much fun I had with this title. I really like the eccentric little gnome, Kalkstein. I also like the unapologetic sexual theme that runs through the game. I imagine it drives the feminists wild though. I mean the "I'm a helpless woman, who will sleep with you if you assist me", has to drive them through the wall :D I also like all the "choice and consequence" this game offers, even though I'm not a big story guy.

As far as system requirements for the new game, it looks like I'm good on everything but the video card, when it comes to recommended. I've got a quad core and 8 gigs of ram, but my video card is a 1 gig GTS 240, which is a lesser card than the 260. How much lesser? I have no idea :) I've got an old Audigy something-or-other for sound. It's been in my last 3 pcs and seems to do the trick. Since they mark hard drives by the terabyte nowadays, I should be good there too. Bring it on!

Back
Top Bottom