Good Old Games - Announcement Coming

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I bet they'll announce inclusion of Grimrock, among other things. I'll be buying it from them. They're great people who've answered my emails within hours despite their overwhelming schedule.

UW won't be part of the party... Not new enough news despite the upcoming overhaul. I'll be bugging them about the sequel though :)

I sure hope your right but it is hard for me to think of any other game. This will be an instant buy from me. I don't think I've been so excited about an indie game before.

Mmm I smell Legend of Grimrock! :D

Daniel.

"Recent" titles to GOG!
More indies!
OMG!

They will have to change how they display games on the website, because I won't be able to find something in my shelves. :p

Seems I'll be broke before I planned to.
Evil GOG, evil!!!

I was hoping that they would start offering some real competition to Steam, Origin, et al. From the link that SpoonFULL provided, it looks like they are not going to be doing that, but will offering new Indie games instead of new AAA titles. Probably hard to convince the suits to go DRM free on the bigger publishers.

I've said it before (when Witcher 2 was released on GOG) and I'll say it again; adding new games is a really bad decision and diluteS the GOG brand. DRM-free is nice and all, but not nearly meaningful enough to make me buy the same damn predictable selection of big indie titles from the past few years (Machinarium, Spacechem, Trine and others) which I already own on approximately 345 other digital platforms and distribution channels (Steam, GamersGate, Indie Bundles etc. etc. etc.). If any attention and bandwith is taken away from GOG's important work on making classic games playable on new machines to re-release 2-year old games in yet another format that would be a colossal waste of time.

If anything, having newer or indie games may give more attention to the classic games available on gog. Who are the customers that buy the classic games from there? In most cases, it's people who have already played them and are merely seeking to purchase them again in a hassle-free, digital form. If new people can be brought in to check out indie/newer games, then perhaps they will browse the catalog a bit and discover some of the classics available on gog.

Some indie games would fit in with the overall tone of gog perfectly anyway (Age of Decadence or Frayed Knights, anyone?), and it offers a great platform for indies seeking to sell their games in the same hassle-free, DRM-free manner. I can certainly see something like Frayed Knights - a game that was inexplicably not approved by the Steam "Gatekeepers" and built with a healthy dose of very old-school flair - getting some much-needed exposure by becoming available on gog; fans of that style of gameplay who don't keep track of indies would be sure to check it out if they saw it on this platform. Aside from that, I certainly can't see any harm coming from this announcement.

these guys are having fun, and as long as that is true, we can expect them to continue to improve their service. My favorite online vendor by far.

GOG always seemed an ideal platform for the indies to me. I think I will make it a point to support them even in the face of some ridiculous steam sales (within reason ;) ) for my indie purchases…

hotu is abandoned.
last update 2009.

but i dont think this world needs more boring indi jump and run games...

I bet they'll announce inclusion of Grimrock, among other things. I'll be buying it from them. They're great people who've answered my emails within hours despite their overwhelming schedule.

UW won't be part of the party… Not new enough news despite the upcoming overhaul. I'll be bugging them about the sequel though :)

Was true :) Nice

Back
Top Bottom