Space Hulk - Release Date and Pre-Orders

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Space Hulk is now ready for pre-orders on Steam and will be released on August 15th.

The legendary Space Hulk returns to Windows PC and Mac in this epic turn based strategy game. Set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, an intriguing story of legendary battles and heroic actions unfolds. Play as a small squad of fearless Space Marine Terminators who attempt to reclaim their honor by mounting an assault on a derelict space hulk infested by hordes of vicious tyranid Genestealers.

Take control of the Adeptus Astartes of the Blood Angel chapter and guide them towards glory, while battling fierce Xenos and uncovering ancient relics in the infested confines of the massive Space Hulk named “Sin of Damnation”.

The game is a 3D digital turn based strategy game that recreates the classic claustrophobic board game experience in both singleplayer and multiplayer.

Key Features:

• The first Space Hulk computer game in 17 years! Available on multiple platforms.
  • Set in the hugely popular Warhammer 40,000 universe! Official license of the legendary boardgame from Games Workshop.
  • Turn-based tactical strategy game! Based on the popular and iconic board game mechanics.
  • Blood Angel Terminators! Fight the ferocious Genestealers with heroes of the mighty Blood Angels.
  • Fearsome Genestealers with challenging AI! Meet unforgiving hordes of Genestealers!
  • Thematic 3D environment! Experience the dark labyrinth of a Space Hulk as never before..
  • Single player campaign based on the "Sin of Damnation" space hulk! Take on the Sin of Damnation campaign, which includes 3 brand new prequel missions and the 12 missions from the classic board game.
  • Multiplayer head-to-head recreating the board game experience against a friend! Get in the hot seat and battle it out with a friend.
Credit goes to SpoonFULL for the story. Thanks.
smiley-wink.gif

More information.

I actually have some hope for this title, it could just be the first Warhammer 40k game done right. IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE TURN BASED DAMN IT. While I did enjoy Dawn of War 2 it was more action and less tactics. I hope this one does good, like you said because of Flashback, and also because I want more proper Warhammer 40k games. Which should be turn based . Did I mention that fact?

I hear ya.

Even tho TB games do tend to put me to sleep, I really want a wh40K tb strat game. Maybe it will be the one that keeps me awake.

I play the tabletop wargame (in fact assembling 3 drop pods right now between posts) and I've been disappointed that everything that seems to be done for 40K videogame-wise has been real-time and not turn-based.

I'd like a full turn-based computer game, build and paint virtual army and go up against other players. Unfortunately, that will never happen. They need to keep selling boxes of 5 little plastic figures for 50.00 to people, and if people can play a computer version they may stop buying them altogether and go virtual.

Think about what a great racket Games Workshop, the makers of Warhammer 40K have. They pour plastic in a mold, then throw it in a box and ship it. No painting, no assembly, their customers really do all the hard work. And they still get to charge an arm-and-a-leg for their products!

Yeah, they must make a pretty decent profit. I used to play WH40k a long time ago, but I remember it fondly. And non of the games so far quite capture the scope of the original board games.

I wouldn't want the board game directly tranfered to a computer environment, what I would like is something akin to the Total War games but with turn based combat. Actually even RTwP would be fine, as long as the proper mechanics are in, albeit a bit simplified (I don't have to choose every individual weapon for every soldier).

Don't know much about this, except that it seems to be based on the kind of pulp science fiction that I might have appreciated when I was 8, except that I was hooked on Biggles at the time.

Don't know much about this, except that it seems to be based on the kind of pulp science fiction that I might have appreciated when I was 8, except that I was hooked on Biggles at the time.

You are from london and have no idea what space hulk is? I'm reading that post like you are basically saying it's junk. Impressive.

You are from london and have no idea what space hulk is? I'm reading that post like you are basically saying it's junk. Impressive.

What's the London connection? Was just speculating that it might be junk, but I'm always up for being eddicated [sic]… Don't you just love it when life surprises you in a good way?

Space hulk is made by games workshop. They are a british games company you may have heard of, warhammer, warhammer 40k...pretty big over there as far as I know...most gamers know of them.

Space hulk was a lot bigger in the late 80's early 90's...cool game.

Space Hulk is also set in the world of Warhammer 40K, which I believe to be an extremely popular game in London (and to a lesser extent around the world).

I don't know that I would call Warhammer 40K pulp science fiction, it goes more the dystopian future route.

I thought every single one of us who dwell on this forum had enough of a little nerd in us to know what Warhammer is. I do however not think every englisman knows what it is, nor even the majority of people in London. But on this forum it has be a pretty large percentage anyway.

As a sidenote, I just read that Crative Assembly (Total War!) has bought the license to Warhammer Fantasy. Imagine a Warhammer:Total War. Wow. The only thing that would be even better is Warhammer 40k Total War.

As for the setting of Space Hulk, the Warhammer 40k universe is one of the coolest sci-fi/technofantasy settings I've ever come across, and I've read some pretty cool Sci-Fi. It's weird and borderline ridiculous at times, and so dark it's depressing, but that's just makes it even better.

Space hulk is made by games workshop. They are a british games company you may have heard of, warhammer, warhammer 40k…pretty big over there as far as I know…most gamers know of them.

Space hulk was a lot bigger in the late 80's early 90's…cool game.

Yes, I have heard of them. I'm not a great fan of intellectual properties though, particularly those long term persistent ones (star trek, star wars, D&D...). I think that the best games (and the best science fiction writing) either comes up with their own original IPs or, at least, don't lean too heavily on existing work. I don't want to buy an IP, I want to buy a game with some original, thoughtful input.

I thought every single one of us who dwell on this forum had enough of a little nerd in us to know what Warhammer is. I do however not think every englisman knows what it is, nor even the majority of people in London. But on this forum it has be a pretty large percentage anyway.

Well, if you are going to be patronising about science fiction geek wisdom :))), I hope you are familiar with some of the real classics in the genre... Arthur C Clarke, Stanislaw Lem, CJ Cherryh (Cyteen!), Isaac Asimov, Poul Anderson, Theodor Sturgeon... And no they didn't do Star Wars or Star Trek.

Yes, I have heard of them. I'm not a great fan of intellectual properties though, particularly those long term persistent ones (star trek, star wars, D&D…). I think that the best games (and the best science fiction writing) either comes up with their own original IPs or, at least, don't lean too heavily on existing work. I don't want to buy an IP, I want to buy a game with some original, thoughtful input.

You do have a point, but in my opinion some IPs are simply to great not to base games of them. In some cases this ends up giving great games (KotoR, PS:T, Baldurs Gate to name a few). In most cases however it's just a way to sell more copies of your run-of-the-mill FPS.

I am sucker for mechanics, and some board games like Warhammer and some P'n'P RPG's like DnD have great mechanics and great lore that adds alot to a my PC gaming experience when done correctly. I just wish more companies would produce games closer to the source material instead of just taking the lore and then making something totally different.

Looks interesting but since it's designed for tablets, it's gonna be overly simplistic by default, and that, as always, is beyond annoying. As a PC gamer, I get sick of dumbed down and stripped down games because of designing for lesser/inferior platforms.

This game is also $30 to preorder on Steam right now and I'm not sure it's really worth it. Just watched a vid of it and it's very simplistic. Hard to say without evaluating the big picture but the dev doing audio compares the this game to XCOM:EU...dunno about that. It looks dramatically simplistic in comparison and XCOM:EU was stupidified enough for consoles itself. EU was also 50/60 but meh.

So many outstanding games have been coming out with lower price tags so $30 for what looks like an indie style title with ultra dumbed down gameplay suitable for tablets seems like a stretch.

It's somewhat sad for me. I'm an older gamer (45) and have been playing PC games since PC games existed and I've always said that I would never stop playing video games, but with MMOs continually getting more and more dumbed down and F2P being an abomination, and with so many PC games being weakened by console first or tablet design influences, the "PC gaming" industry itself might drive me away. I just have no interest in pay to win styles or ultra dumbed down/simplistic games.

I love turned based strategy and especially squad-based TBS but when you compare something like old XCOM, old JA, silent storm, or even the UFO games to something like this space hulk game, there is no real comparison. Space hulk is a coloring book compared to a masterpiece novel. Ultra simplistic vs depth and complexity. Simplistic games get boring immediately.

I hope the JA game this crew is putting together doesn't end up similarly moronified for tablets or other lame platforms only suitable for gaming when you can't access a real gaming platform, like a PC. Like I'll play on our iPAD when I'm travelling or something. Beyond that, I don't touch the thing, because it's a joke compared to a PC - and I have a brain - I don't need devices and platforms designed for idiots.

As a sidenote, I just read that Crative Assembly (Total War!) has bought the license to Warhammer Fantasy. Imagine a Warhammer:Total War. Wow. The only thing that would be even better is Warhammer 40k Total War.

That would be something else, WH40K:Total War. I dont think i'd leave my house for months!

Hmm the only thing that tablets should affect in the game is the control scheme. This bizarre notion that they can't have deep gameplay etc because they are on a tablet is getting a bit old. Generally most things you see on tablets are made for the pickup and put down type of game but their are deeper games if you take the time to check them out…like starbase orion http://www.chimerasw.com/starbaseorion/ or xcom(regardless of how you feel about that one, it is identical to the PC game).

The idiots comment was really nice by the way.

Hmm the only thing that tablets should affect in the game is the control scheme. This bizarre notion that they can't have deep gameplay etc because they are on a tablet is getting a bit old. Generally most things you see on tablets are made for the pickup and put down type of game but their are deeper games if you take the time to check them out…like starbase orion http://www.chimerasw.com/starbaseorion/ or xcom(regardless of how you feel about that one, it is identical to the PC game).

The idiots comment was really nice by the way.

Deja Vu AppleIntimidation thread. Sure it's possible to put some good games on tablets, but other than King Of Dragon Pass, I haven't come across anything that works better on my IPad than my PC, except for casual games - Last fish is good if you are in the dentist waiting to have to your teeth drilled out.

Here is the official game FAQ from the developers (on Steam forum) - warrning: long post!
============================

About Space Hulk
Q: What is this?
Space Hulk is an action point driven turn-based strategy game based off the Games Workshop board game of same name.

Q: Is this a Warhammer 40k game?
License technically it is not a Warhammer 40k game. Space Hulk is a standalone board game made by Games Workshop that is set in the Warhammer 40k universe.

It features Space Marine terminators against Genestealers inside derelict space ships called Space Hulks.

So for all practical purposes, Space Hulk is part of the Warhammer 40k universe, but a game of its own.

Q: So this is made by Games Workshop?
No. The game is made by us - Full Control. We are an independent game developer out of Copenhagen, Denmark. We made the game and self-published it.

We licensed the Space Hulk board game for a turn based video game from Games Workshop, so this is the official Space Hulk turn-based game.

Q: Is this a remake of the old DOS/Amiga/3DO games?
No. The old computer games were all based off the board game originally as well, but chose different core mechanics like real-time squad shooter with a pause timer functionality.

Gameplay

Q: What chapter is in the game?
The first campaign will feature the Blood Angel terminator squad with Sergeant Lorenzo, Sergeant Gideon and Lexicanum Calistarius at the command

Q: Can I color my terminators into other chapter colors?
We believe as fans ourselves that this needs to be done right. And just taking a fully adorned Blood Angel terminator with all his gems, chains and pointy teeth and color him blue doesnt turn him into an Ultramarine.

So when we add a customizer to the game, we will "do it right". So you will be able to make your own Blood Angel terminator, name him and adorn him. But paint him in a different color and look like a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥? No.

Q: What weapons do my terminators have?
The loadouts are
- Power fist with storm bolter
- Chain fist with storm bolter
- Heavy flamer and power fist
- Assault cannon and power fist
- Lightning claws
- Thunder hammer with Storm shield
- Power sword with storm bolter
- Librarian with force axe

Q: Will there be psykers/librarians?
Yes - Calistarius (who later turns into Mephiston Lord of Death) is the librarian in this campaign. He has different powers he can use. Charging his force axe to deliver harder hits to raging psychic storm ravaging areas on the map.

Rules
Q: Is this based off the board game? And if yes, which rule set?
Yes - this game is heavily inspired by the 3rd edition board game. it sticks to the turn-based tactical strategy game in the board game down to using action points, command points and the same core rules.

Q: You say inspired by. What are the differences?
We have made a video game out of the board game, and not made a 1:1 translation. There are certain rules and mechanics that we changed to make it play as a video game.

These include:
- flamer uses a template and does not target a section only (since those do not exist in a video game)
- as long as a unit has action points left, you can return to it and do actions on it
- we automated move+fire against visible enemies for Storm bolters. Terminators will shoot while moving if they have an enemy in line of sight. Targetting doors is a manual process using the "Set move and fire target" button. Manual process is also required for limited ammo weapons like the assault cannon.
- you can move multiple units at the same time
- space marine timer is optional
- reworked and automated the command point usage in the enemy turn. Jammed weapons will automatically unjam if there are command points left. Interrupting enemy turn is not possible
- Librarians charge their force axe automatically if they would otherwise lose a close combat fight
- guard mode and parry rolls are automated

Multiplayer
Q: Can I play local hotseat against a friend?
Yes - you can use the game as a virtual board and share the same PC to play against each other.

Q: Is there internet based multiplayer?
Yes. There is a central server that enables you to play against random enemies or people on your friends list.

Q: I read about coop somewhere?
We are adding coop on brand new designed levels. This will be a free update later.

Q: What does it mean that there is cross platform multiplayer?
It means that you can play against Space Hulk friends sitting on other devices like iPads or have games between Mac and Windows PC.

Q: Is multiplayer async or sync?
The game at its core is asynchronous. But when both players are online at the same time, the server switches to synchronous mode, and you can see the enemy movements in real time.

Q: Am I limited to 1 game at a time?
Since the game is async, you can have multiple games going on at the same time with other friends. At any time can you swap between games and make your turn.

DLC
Q: You are already talking DLC. Does that mean I get half a game and need to buy the rest?
No. The first core game is a full game featuring all the missions from the 3rd edition board game. With all the terminators, weapons and rules from that.

We want to add more content to the game as we move forward for as long as players support this game.

Q: What are the DLC plans?
We do not give any promises for specific content or dates.

But we are thinking DLC in 3 categories:
- Full campaigns that add new missions to be played.
- New chapters with smaller chapter specific campaigns
- Vanity items like Genestealer skins, weapon skins and similar

All these are totally optional.

User created content
Q: Will there be user created content?
Yes. We are working on polishing up our internal level builder tools to allow everyone to make levels, to share them as well as download.

Q: When will the editor be released?
We cannot promise any release date other than we think think that this is an essential feature to give to you. We want this out as soon as possible to allow everyone to create and share content. But it also has to be done "right". And that takes time to do. So no promise on release date other than "it will come".

Q: What will the editor cost?
It will be a free download for owners of the PC Space Hulk version.

Deja Vu AppleIntimidation thread. Sure it's possible to put some good games on tablets, but other than King Of Dragon Pass, I haven't come across anything that works better on my IPad than my PC, except for casual games - Last fish is good if you are in the dentist waiting to have to your teeth drilled out.

It doesn't have to work better, it is an option that works. It isn't here to replace the computer it is just another way to enjoy games. But hey if you are going to throw out absolutes and nothing else then go ahead.

Back
Top Bottom