RPG Codex - The Lists to Dwarf Them All

The combat SYSTEM is good. However, the actual combat was not always good because of AI issues, balance issues and pacing issues. At times though, when things came together, it was a lot of fun. But due to rushed and buggy game design, that did not happen anywhere nearly as often as it should (though I never tried any of the fan patches).

This is one topic that should be debated more often. IMHO ToEE has a faithful TB adaption of the 3.5 D&D rules (which are the known best), but is the combat really good?

This is a horrible list, there are some good games listed no doubt...but wow.

The combat SYSTEM is good. However, the actual combat was not always good because of AI issues, balance issues and pacing issues. At times though, when things came together, it was a lot of fun. But due to rushed and buggy game design, that did not happen anywhere nearly as often as it should (though I never tried any of the fan patches).

Try circle of eight mod that removes all those issues and adds lot to game.Actually for lot of games on the list unofficial patches are must have(PS:T, Arcanum, VtM:Bloodlines, ToEE).

So true. One must judiciously evaluate and apply fan made patches/improvements. The CO8 mod for ToEE is apparently a must. I used it, and had no issues whatsover.

So New Vegas and Morrowind (both at number 9) are the only games to make the top "10" in the past ten years?? Ooops, no, Morrowind was almost 11 years ago.

Has Shroud of the Avatar made your top ten yet? :p

No, but at least Ultima, bards tale and wizardry sure have...

Maybe not your list because you are most likely 10 with that last line.

If I was them I would have grouped things like Fallout 1/2 and BG1/2 into single entries allowing for a bit more space for things like Ultima and Wizardry. Everyone needs a bit of variety. I can't imagine Icewind dale 1 would feature on many peoples top 10, top 20 probably yes. Dunno how Gothic 2 can't make a top 10, it is such a satisfying complete crpg experience - story, npcs, challenge, secrets etc.

Dunno how Gothic 2 can't make a top 10, it is such a satisfying complete crpg experience - story, npcs, challenge, secrets etc.
I know that I'm hugely biased but those were also my thoughts until I saw that it just didn't get in the top10 but was 12th. This is obviously (more of) a poll than an "elaborated" list.

Icewind Dale is hack and slash and very transparent hub and spoke. It is nothing like the BG series really. I can't fathom why it is ranked so high. Then again I can't fathom why half this list is like it is other than its some nostalgic trip or part of the "you're an rpgnoob if you don't love Fallout 1" mindset. Many modern games are far more enjoyable including the less loved titles here such as Fallout 3, NWN2, Mass Effect series, Oblivion, Gothic 3 etc. I'd rank any Spiderweb title above Arcanum or Icewind Dale (but not BG). Really the BG's are the only thing here I agree with.

Icewind Dale is hack and slash and very transparent hub and spoke. It is nothing like the BG series really. I can't fathom why it is ranked so high. Then again I can't fathom why half this list is like it is other than its some nostalgic trip or part of the "you're an rpgnoob if you don't love Fallout 1" mindset. Many modern games are far more enjoyable including the less loved titles here such as Fallout 3, NWN2, Mass Effect series, Oblivion, Gothic 3 etc. I'd rank any Spiderweb title above Arcanum or Icewind Dale (but not BG). Really the BG's are the only thing here I agree with.

I think that writing, atmosphere and reactivity where more factor for list than gameplay(with exceptions of IWD and ToEE which are all about combat) if you look at it that way list makes much more sense.I am bit surprised that NVN2:MotB(11 on list)and KotOR 2(15)are not higher on list,and having them bellow IWD is just wrong.

Two things:
1. Again, the list was constructed from essentially a poll of sorts. Keep that in mind when judging this list.

2. Also remember that this is RPG Codex. Go over there and talk about how great ME, Fallout 3, or Oblivion are. See what happens, ;-)
In all seriousness, RPGC saves all of its new Fallout love for FNV, all of its Bethesda love for Morrowind, and all of its Bioware love for BG 1 and 2. Once you leave those bounds, you're more likely to see a game on the "Worst RPGs of All Time" list than the Best. In fact, I know that Fallout 3, Oblivion, DA2, and some of the MEs are pretty popular on the emerging 'Worst' list.

I'm not saying either side is right or wrong. I'm just pointing out that context matters. The RPG Codex is for a particular kind of RPG lover. The fact that so many RTwP games made the top 10 is more a testament to, especially, BG and PS:T's adoration than anything else. RPG Codex is virulent in its support of TB combat over RT and tends to frown on anything more action-y, more console-y, or, to be frank, more streamlined. The fact that the RPGC's owner (DarkUnderlord) nonchalantly states, "Haven't played it. Got bored with the combat system," for -every- RTwP game in the top 10 is especially notable here.

Well, thats a pretty cool list. I think I have completed 8 of those games and would be hard pressed not to put those in my own top 10 list.

But then again, its made from a poll of RPG Codex readers, so you can't really look at it with any objectivity. But still interesting.

I loved loved Icewind Dale I. Not sure I'd put it in my top 10 of all time though. But it would still beat out half the mediocre games on that ill-conceived list.

Can't help but feel like the inclusion of ToEE was an egotistical maneuver designed to shout how hardcore this bunch is, but honestly, that list seems partisan towards turn-based mechanics. ToEE above either of the Witcher games or Divine Divinity (DKS for that matter). Gothic series? You people have tunnel vision! Where are the Euro-RPGs that saved my early to mid 2000's from RPG despair? =)

Back
Top Bottom