Connecting 2 PCs

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hello, everyone ! :)

I'm trying to connect 2 PCs - with mixed results.

I did manage to connect both via a null modem cable - finally ! :) - but the connection speed is frightening slow.

Now I put into the one PC an additional network card, and the other PC is still free, so I can just put crossed cable into both PCs, then.

What did NOT work - despite my tries - is to access the "shared folders" I made up on each PCs. The connection appears to be working, although I haven't verified that with a Ping yet. At least i didn't get any error messages from this side anymore.

And yes, I already added the other PC's main user for the incoming connections" on each side.

Now, what could be the reason that the wizard/assistand program provided by win doesn't find both shared folders I made up on each PC ?

Has anyone an idea ?

Alrik

Both xp sp 3.

What makes things even far worse is that the connection I managed to build disables (?) the DSL internet connection, seemingly.

The Layout is basically this :

2nd PC -> unconnected, try to connect it to the
1st PC -> normal Router -> DSL-Router -> thus Internet
To the normal Router there is also a second machine connected - my sister's iMac (we're living currently in the same big house)

Now, I don't know what to do, especially since the connection between my both PCs apears to really turn the internet connection off. I must unplug and then re-plug the DSL router from the current to make it working again.

This makes me angry, because I thought I almost everything I needed in order to create such a simple connection ?

Can't you connect the 2nd PC also to the router?

Haven't tried it yet. I'd need a too long cable for that.
Because the router is located on a different floor.

Does your DSL router support WLAN?

What did NOT work - despite my tries - is to access the "shared folders" I made up on each PCs. The connection appears to be working, although I haven't verified that with a Ping yet.

Let's not assume anything about connection yet until you've done a ping. What I think you've got here are 2 networks: A private one between 2 PCs, and then your "public" home network (shared with your sister) that also has the Internet link.

Your "PC 1" is multi-homed -- connected to both networks. PC2 is isolated and only on the private net.

Try out a ping between the two PCs. If that doesn't work, then we need more info:

========================================
On PC #1 and PC#2 - do the following:

1. Open up a command window (Start->Run-> then type "cmd" in the box).
2. In the command window, type "ipconfig" <enter> and paste the output in the reply message.
3. In the command window, type "route print" <enter> and past the output in the reply message.
========================================

Also, following up on what Gorath said, do both of your PCs have wireless? Does your router support wireless? Cause if so this could be a lot easier.

Personally, I don't want to have wireless within the house. I just don't want it.

I'm with elkston here. In addition you probably have lost your internet connection because the browser is trying to access the internet via the second network card now, which can be verified by looking at the results of the ipconfig and route print commands.

My advice is to forget your setup and buy a separate switch. They are not that expensive, you should be able to get one for 15-20 euros. You plug the cable to the router in the switch and connect a cable from the switch to each of the computers (cables should not be crossed). This will work out of the box (If the IP configuration of both PC's are set to obtain an IP address automatically) and the switch will probably have 5 ports so you can connect more PC's if you like. This will give you internet access on both PC's and you can share folders as well.

I used that setup acctually in my home. I even had windows ME on an old computer for sometime, that was hard.

Anyway, sometimes you have to run it several times to get things working. You have to make sure to tell your PC which connection is for internet and which one is for home network. Name one internet and the other one PCtoPC when you try to access the internet check whatever packages get sent with the one named PCtoPC or internet. ) if you double clickt the network connection in the control panel -> network settings dialogue it will show how many packages was sent, lost and returned etc, here you can also try the repair connection button….

Also do you have a firewall ?

well, a wireless connection (even the 'n') is much slower than a direct ethernet cable, although, unless you're transferring big files between the 2 computers frequently, it's just fine for most uses.
I did it a long time ago, I think XP had a wizard for that. Don't remember how I did it though, and I switched to wireless a long time ago, it's just so much more practical.

wireless is also less stable, and some research points towards that it might have some impact on your health. It is also less secure compared to wired connection.

I'm guessing this is a simple house connection... not a business or military fully-secure backbone of 100Gb/s ...
It is less secure that's for sure, but unless you do not put a password to protect it most people in the world would not have access to your internet and the ones that would be able to crack your password have better things to do than that.

I've taken the second network card out and now everything runs perfectly again.

Which makes me wonder why this imho simply solution I had in mind just cannot be possible without too much hassles ???

Right now I'm using a small USB stick/drive for transferring data. It's currently just the fastest and most hassle-free way I have.

Back
Top Bottom