Divinity: Original Sin - Review @ RPG Codex

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The RPG Codex has posted a new review for Divinity: Original Sin. Overall they enjoyed the game, and sing praises about it. Here is the conclusion.

Despite much of the obligatory Codexian nitpicking, I have to say that I loved the time I spent with Original Sin. Sure, it has some flaws, but overall, it is exactly what I wanted from it - or in fact more. Focusing on the flaws is like missing the forest behind a couple of trees. The game is amazing, and the sum of its parts is far greater than the parts themselves – and that’s not said to diminish the parts. Divinity: Original Sin is a great package filled with amusing stories, great combat, satisfying exploration and many hours of general amusement. Plug in a co-op partner that you’re well compatible with, and the fun you’re likely to have will be greater than following the Codexian Bioware thread – and this is taking into the account the fact that Original Sin actually costs money.

Briefly put, Original Sin is what gaming is supposed to be about: it’s about having fun. It’s a game I hoped for but didn’t quite expect. It’s a game that gives hope for the genre, that it does not have to be split between the AAA-type mass-appeal titles and niche 2D sprites. It gives hope that Kickstarter RPGs will end up at least as good as they were promised to be without involvement of third-party publishers and other hidden strings.

It was a great ride, and I’m looking forward to the mods that will follow. Not the nudity mod though, thank you very much.
More information.

I agree with most of the review.
But this sentence is misleading:

"the sum of its parts is far greater than the parts themselves"

Because D:OS has simply many more (good implemented) features than most other current CRPGs.
Something less in crafting and meaningless traits & skills could have been even better for the game. So I would say something like this:
"The great variety of options in character building, equipment, combat, crafting, exploration and quest solving makes D:OS a really great game. Some options feel superfluous, but that has no negative impact on the overall gameplay."

"I’m looking forward to the mods that will follow. Not the nudity mod though, thank you very much."

Suspiciously specific denial. :p

I can't believe codex has such quality review. Okay, it's not forum, but still…

Original Sin is what gaming is supposed to be about: it’s about having fun. It’s a game I hoped for but didn’t quite expect. It’s a game that gives hope for the genre, that it does not have to be split between the AAA-type mass-appeal titles and niche 2D sprites.
This is the best explanation why D:OS is so great and why should it be GOTY contender. I just hope all those upcoming Kickstarter projects will have it in mind while trying to smuggle AAA wannabe singleplayer title with mentioning phones and multiplayer crap in small letters (stretches).

It was a great ride, and I’m looking forward to the mods that will follow. Not the nudity mod though, thank you very much.
I wouldn't mind Madora having a bath. With my character. Both of them. At the same time? Um… Well… :blush:

Anything that's old-school will be treated well by the Codex. Some would argue too well, but that's another story :)

Loot isn't handled very well. I found a 2 handed scythe and used it for around five levels. Most gear is just tiny little numbers differences from each other. But still a good game.

Loot isn't handled very well. I found a 2 handed scythe and used it for around five levels. Most gear is just tiny little numbers differences from each other. But still a good game.

I agree with this; though there are a few nice, unique pieces that stand out.

Inventory management could use some refinement as well.

Other issues I have with the game are just nitpicks so far.

My only major problem with the game was balance/combat AI, which hopefully will be addressed sooner rather than later, although too late for me as I already finished the game, but maybe for future campaigns or user created campaigns.

Fair review. Good job Codexians.

Will there be a second review since the first review wasn't negative enough? I kid Codex, I kid. It's great review, and a great assessment of the game's strengths and weaknesses, and I agree most of the pros and cons. (Like the rock, paper, scissor game. Should have just been a skill check or something)

Also, the Rock, Paper game is somewhat of a skill check. It checks your ability to intimidate, persuade, etc. against the other character and gives you an advantage or disadvantage, i.e. you get three points every win vs. his two.

Will there be a second review since the first review wasn't negative enough? I kid Codex, I kid. It's great review, and a great assessment of the game's strengths and weaknesses, and I agree most of the pros and cons. (Like the rock, paper, scissor game. Should have just been a skill check or something)

The new edgy kids on the block: GameBanshee D:OS review

Nitpicking example:
However, while there weren't any crashes, the game had other minor problems, like a glaring absence of movement keys for characters, low level loot repeatedly found in high level dungeons, and overly basic AI decisions made by enemies (where, for example, enemies healed by poison still avoid poison patches on the ground).

Hah, movement keys absence was "glaring"? That's straight-up insane. Seemed natural not to have them for this type of game.

(By the way, typo on your link, it's D:OS not Risen 3 :)

Hah, movement keys absence was "glaring"? That's straight-up insane. Seemed natural not to have them for this type of game.

(By the way, typo on your link, it's D:OS not Risen 3 :)

WASD in an isometric game is really necessary…and the world has to level around me :roll:

PS:
typo -> fixed: I'm playing too much Risen 3 these days :)

Back
Top Bottom