Three categories

D

DArtagnan

Ok….

The categories:

Writing
Combat
Atmosphere

Name your top 3 RPGs in each category. If you can't pick the very best - just picking some great ones will suffice :)

For me:

Writing:

BioForge (almost an RPG - so shoot me)
Witcher 2
Secret World

Combat:

Temple of Elemental Evil
Guild Wars 2
Skyrim (only for the archery/stealth path, though)

Atmosphere:

Secret World
World of Warcraft (the sheer variety of completely unique settings)
Skyrim

---

So, what are your favorites?

Writing:
Betrayal at Krondor
Planscape Torment
Fallout 1

Combat:
Jagged Alliance 2
Wizardry 7
Bards Tale 2

Atmosphere:
Gothic 1
Ultima 7
Exile 1

Last edited:
Writing:
Betrayal at Krondor
Planscape Torment
Fallout 1

Combat:
Jagged Alliance 2
Wizardry 7
Bards Tale 2

Atmoshere:
Gothic 1
Ultima 7
Exile 1

Jagged Alliance 2 is a good choice… I don't really consider it an RPG, but maybe that's my mistake. It IS as much an RPG as a strategy/tactical game if I really think about it.

Then again, so is X-Com.

I think if I were to include games of that nature - Silent Storm is actually the best of the bunch. Well, to me - anyway.

Anyway - interesting choices :)

Gothic definitely had an extremely powerful atmosphere.

Writing
Planescape Torment
Secret World
Ultima 7

Combat
Can't say. I don't pay much attention to differences in Combat. So no single game stands out as significantly better than the others. If i have to come up with 3 games, it would be

WOW
Guild wars 2
LOTRO

For the simple reason that I like playing small heroes (gnomes, asura and hobbits) enthusiastically wielding huuuge axes. Not a very good criterion, I'm afraid.

Athmosphere
Planescape Torment
Vampire Masquerade:Bloodlines
Morrowind

Pibbur

Vampire Masquerade:Bloodlines -> good choice

Writing
Planescape Torment
Secret World

You're just naming Secret World because it's by Norwegian guys! ;)

Combat
Can't say. I don't pay much attention to differences in Combat. So no single game stands out as significantly better than the others.

Come now, pib.

Master of psychology.

Do you mean to suggest there's no combat system you enjoyed more than other combat systems? Not a single game where fighting was more entertaining?

That's hard to believe.

Athmosphere
Planescape Torment
Vampire Masquerade:Bloodlines
Morrowind

Pibbur

Good choices.... Bloodlines was on my mind for both writing and atmosphere - but ultimately the other games won.

Secret World ??? - a crpg I don't know at all - not possible ;) MMO?

Secret World ??? - a crpg I don't know at all - not possible ;) MMO?

Yes, it's an MMORPG. But it's a very unique MMORPG.

It plays more like an adventure game than an actual RPG.

I'd also like to claim that it's actually better as a solo game than a group/cooperative game.

It's "B2P" - which means you can experience almost all of it if you invest in the initial purchase - and it can be gotten quite cheap from various sites.

The writing is superb - no question.

I edited my original post, but reason behind it has little to do with the combat system. I could probably come up with combat systems I like less than others, but I can't think of a system I find significantly more enjoyable than the rest.

I don't like fighting when controls are unresponsive, but again, that's not about the combat system.

For the games I really like - it has very little to do with combat. Story, setting and atmosphere, the sense of being there are the things that count.

Actually, I'm not very critical. I can enjoy almost anything as long as I can do it on a PC.

Pibbur who after all did finish - sorry dte, but for once it has to be said - M&M9.

BTW: Interesting thread, musketeer.

I edited my original post, but reason behind it has little to do with the combat system. I could probably come up with combat systems I like less than others, but I can't think of a system I find significantly more enjoyable than the rest.

Truly? Now that's actually pretty interesting to me.

I would have thought it a universal kind of distinction in quality.

I don't like fighting when controls are unresponsive, but again, that's not about the combat system.

Hmm, well - I do think the responsive or unresponsive nature of combat is part of the combat system.

For the games I really like - it has very little to do with combat. Story and athmosphere, the sense of being there are the most important factors.

That I can appreciate :)

Actually, I'm not very critical. I can enjoy almost anything as long as I can do it on a PC.

I can believe that - but at least you can single out games in terms of their qualities!

Pibbur who after all did finish - sorry dte, but for once it has to be said - M&M9.

That has to be worth something! If nothing else, then defintely a slap on the wrist.

BTW: Interesting thread, musketeer.

/me cordially bows

Writing
Planescape:torment
Neverwinter nights 2:Mask of betrayer
Witcher

Combat
Temple of elemental evil
Jagged alliance 2
King's Bounty

Atmosphere
Gothic 2
Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines
Dark Souls

Last edited:
Writing:
-Planescape Torment
-Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines

Combat:
-Icewind Dale 2
-Fallout 1&2

Atmosphere:
-Arcanum
-Morrowind
-Icewind Dale 1

Honorable mentions to Baldur's Gate for its scope and Psychonauts for its innovation. Too many games that really dont fit in those three categories.

I've been thinking. I may enjoy more fighting where tactical aspects are important, where the coordinated efforts of warrior types, magicians and healers count. Turn based. Also difficult, almost too difficult, but with logical/sensible ways of solving the problem, only have to find it. Wizardry 8 comes to mind.

But there really isn't a big difference to me.

As for unresponsive controls, I consider that more like a bug.

Pibbur

I've been thinking. I may enjoy more fighting where tactical aspects are important, where the coordinated efforts of warrior types, magicians and healers count. Turn based. Also difficult, almost too difficult, but with logical/sensible ways of solving the problem, only have to find it. Wizardry 8 comes to mind.

But there really isn't a big difference to me.

As for unresponsive controls, I consider that more like a bug.

Pibbur

Well, you did your best to find your own preference!

I consider that commendable - and I nominate you for cake recipient of the year :)

Writing
I'm a sucker for From Rags To Riches archs: Baldur's Gate, Risen, Fallout
Character writing: Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines

Combat
Not just melee: Baldur's Gate
Simple addictive combat: Might & Magic V/VI/VII, Sacred
Many paths to resolve a situation: Fallout, Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines

Atmosphere
Great artwork: Vampire Masquerade: Bloodlines, Fallout
Small world, great immersion: Risen, System Shock 2
Despite Time Has Not Been Kind: Deus Ex

Writing
Fallout:New Vegas
The Witcher
Geneforge

Combat
Dark Souls
Mount and Blade: Warband
Gothic 3 (yep, your eyes are not decieving you!)

Atmosphere
Fallout: New Vegas
Gothic 3
The Witcher
Vampire: bloodlines

Well, you did your best to find your own preference!

I consider that commendable - and I nominate you for cake recipient of the year :)
I've seen an extremely and dangerously tempting cheesecake here in Atlanta.

Pibbur who as an ultima dragon should prefer pie. Thrown at him (the *SPLUT*)

Last edited:
I am not overly critical I think in games but will take a stab. I can't think of a game with writing that really stands out strongly for me - I tend to like them all fairly equally (although MotB stands out for me). Same for combat - I am fairly passive so combat isn't the key thing to me in games. As long as I can fight without getting to frustrated, and there is some variety/cool factor to it I am fairly happy. I like some strategy or something "fun" about it. Things I like in games is freedom to role play (sandbox-ish), fantasy setting, the more detailed the character creation and related mechanics the better, realism and immersion, companions, ability to explore, and good quests.

Writing
Mask of the Betrayer NWN2 Expansion. (My favorite story in a game so far)
Dragon Age Origins. (Not great writing but I really enjoyed the story line anyhow)
Mass Effect series (so shoot me, not counting the ending I enjoyed the whole series as far as story - it was like playing a big movie trilogy)

Combat
Baldurs Gate 2 (I loved the long tactical battles and planing, one of the very few games where the combat *was* the main attraction of the game for me)
Skyrim (yea most people hated it, I liked it - especially stealth in creepy dungeons)
Vampire Masquerade (probably cause it was cool to play a vampire)

Atmosphere
Skyrim (what can I say I love the setting and the game, even unmodded I full enjoyed it)
Dragon Age (it is one of my favorite games. Story and atmosphere)
Morrowind Bloodmoon (I totally lost myself in Morrowind, especially this expansion)

This was difficult. I don't normally break down games in my head. Fun exercise.

Interesting thread, thanks for starting. Hmm

Writing
Witcher 2 choices that really made an impact and not obvious what the impact would be
Mass Effect (except ending) loved all the little threads and pieces
Dragon Age: Origins

Combat
Skyrim (stealth path)
I don't really notice unless it is very bad (so in terms of really bad Kingdoms of Amalur & Game of Thrones both awful for me)

Atmosphere
Bioshock Infinite
Dragon Age Origins
DX:HR

WRITING

The Witcher series.
Baldurs Gate series.
Dragon Age: Origins.

COMBAT

Wizardy series.
TOEE
Drakensang series.

Combat is hard to choose just 3 because I love my turn based and RTWP games but feel the need to give a nod to the more action orientated games. So I will cheat and list 3 action combat games.

Blade of darkness
The Witcher ( both but a slight nod to the first. I know no one agrees with that but i'm weird that way.)
Dark Messiah M&M

ATMOSPHERE

Skyrim
Gothic series.
Fallout 3.

Atmosphere was tough as well as i'm not a big immersion guy. Skyrim was the only no brainer for me.

Back
Top Bottom