Fallout 3 - Roundup #10

I fail to see how that is bashing but ok....

I used to get upset when a name I attached much value to did something entirely different. For example, like when Metallica started to produce crap--okay, to make it entirely fair: started to produce music that I think is crap--or when Bruce Dickinson left Iron Maiden. Then I kinda grew up. Not too much, but enough to not have something like that sully their name and what I think of them. Fallout 3 turned a new page for the franchise and it went in a new direction. At least Fallout 3 didn't turn into a Mad Max clone or (God help us) Waterworld. :D Fallout 3 could have been anything and still have the right to be called Fallout. It could have been an alternate universe. Why not? They are allowed to have a degree of artistic freedom. The result may disappoint conservatives, but in the end there is enough left of Fallout for Fallout 3 to be a legitimate entry in the series.

That's my two caps.

About Fallout 3.

Though each player has their own style, i wondered why Vince (as per the thread opening info) used the Diablo style of Hacken-Slash to escape vault 101. It's obvious that much though has been put into this game in relation to the "consequences" of the players actions and dialogues. This strongly effects the "Karma" triggering of available quests as the game progresses --> high or low karma enabling, either one or the other, we cannot have both.

In fact it is possible to escape the vault and not killing the overseer or any of the guards, the radroached can be enticed to kill the guards, clearing the area beyond the overseers office and then returning to open the door will let Amada escape and as a consequence will meet up near to the vault exit.

This proves that even with consequential crpg's given to us that "Hacken-Slash" is here to stay.

(no disrespect to Vince intended) :beer:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a little disappointed that I was unable to shoot the girl in the head. I was right pissed when she got hysterical after I shot he father. The bastard deserved it. After all, he tried to kill me and my escaped father. The character I had created in my head would totally off her, but the game wouldn't let me.

Wulf, in the interest of others, would you put a spoiler tag around the above? I wish I had not read that to have a chance to find out myself.

What consequences? What Karma?

I killed everyone (except Amata, who is immortal). Why? They shot at me - I decided to shoot back. *shrug*

I finished exited the vault with perfect karma, so there are no consequences from the vault. I tried to kill Amata - she still turned up at the end, anyway.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm really enjoying the exploration of the gameworld but the intro is woeful.

I'm really enjoying the exploration of the gameworld but the intro is woeful.

I thought the introduction was excellent. Maybe not in a role-playing way, but these things are usually terribly boring. Well, Oblivion's at least. In Fallout 3, at least I was enjoying myself as the game explained its mechanics to me and as I created my character.

But yes, it would've been even better if your choices would have better consequences.

I thought the introduction was excellent. Maybe not in a role-playing way, but these things are usually terribly boring. Well, Oblivion's at least. In Fallout 3, at least I was enjoying myself as the game explained its mechanics to me and as I created my character.

But yes, it would've been even better if your choices would have better consequences.

I also found the intro engaging in how it introduced the relationships and motivations and allowed you to get acclimated to the systems.

But to a larger extent I think it was also an early indication of the lack of depth and meaningful consequences. I was very happy with the intro when I first started ... but less so as I have progressed.

You needed an intro like that, since the manual is virtually useless. I still haven't figured out how to make lockpicking work; all I do is break mine continually on very easy locks.

I have to say, the GOAT made the entire intro completely worth it in my opinion ;)

You needed an intro like that, since the manual is virtually useless. I still haven't figured out how to make lockpicking work; all I do is break mine continually on very easy locks.

Not sure this even needs a spoiler tag.
Don't know if this will help, but just my own experience.
You need to turn the lock 90 degrees to open it. You need the bobby pin in the right spot to be able to turn the lock all the way.
The harder the lock difficulty is the more precise you need to have your bobby pin positioned.
The more you can turn the lock the closer you are to the right spot.
What I normally do is that I go either slightly left or right with my pin and then try to open the lock. If the lock doesn't move I am on the wrong side and if it does I am on the right side. Depending on how much the lock moves on the correct side I try to calculate how much more I have to move the pin to that side before it opens. The closer you are to open the lock the less you would have to move the pin futher.

I thought it was really easy -- and also the best lockpicking minigame I've come across -- simple enough not to be an annoyance, and it actually feels a bit like picking a real lock (only easier).

Apply torque in light taps to rotate the barrel. If it hits the bobby pin (it rattles), adjust the pin and try again. When you hit the right spot, the barrel turns all the way and the lock opens.

Yeah the lock picking is fine. It's good that you can't attempt locks that you don't have the skill level to actually attempt - though I think the brackets of straight 25,50,75,100% make any skill level not on those levels useless. While an option to turn it off (the mini game) would be nice for people like Corwin and just give you a roll chance of break the pin, after all, you can just turn the combat difficulty up and down at the flick of a switch.

Question- does it matter which of the WASD keys you use? The manual gives NO indication!! It's not a patch on the ones which came with the first 2 games.

Back
Top Bottom