The Witcher 2 - Living World Gameplay Trailer @ Gametrailers

aries100

SasqWatch
Radiant AI for the win! ;)

A part was already in The Witcher 1, Gothic 2 NOTR had that sort of stuff well detailed in ONE town, but more details and elements than in G2+NOTR, and in multiple locations?

Once more too good to be true, or too good to be easy to believe. It's really time the hype stops and the game is released or anybody will end disappointed from too high expectations.

I also hope all of that (this movie and previous movies) isn't true otherwise we will have suffer a constant whining at any RPG release because it isn't as good from far than the witcher 2.

EDIT: In its time Ultima 7 killed the RPG during some time, I'm worry The Witcher 2 will end do the same. :)

Bethesda could only dream that radiant AI was that good. Actually, in truth I don't think lifelike npcs are a priority for them just as long as they give a visual facade of a bunch of people walking around a town appearing to go about their business. If you don't observe too closely or try to talk to them, that is.

EDIT: In its time Ultima 7 killed the RPG during some time, I'm worry The Witcher 2 will end do the same. :)

Do you mean to say that Ultima 7 made any RPG that came after it for quite some time just seem not nearly as good in terms of creating a lifelike world? If so, I agree. The only other game that I've played that is really even comparable in terms of npcs being very fleshed out and realistic would be Gothic 2.

Even TW1 had a lot of generic npcs duplicated all over the place.

Honestly, if this game is even half as good as that trailer makes it out to be I am prepared to be disappointed by everything that comes after it for quite a while.

Maybe if they release good modding tools people can create their own adventures in such a world though. At least I can hope.

I guess it would be too much to ask for NPC to change clothes, including at night when going to bed. Or at least to sleep under the sheets. :)

It is a stunning trailer, well done for the marketing. It reminds me of Gothic 1 and 2 in the behavior and daily routines of the people, but with cutting edge graphics.

I don't think it will live up to all the hype but if it even comes close it will be quite an achievement.

What was up with a bunch of people that were running around in their underwear?... Or at least it looked like underwear...?

And yeah, I'm looking forward to this game, but honestly the NPC's having daily routines is pretty, well, routine by now isn't it? I mean, we were enjoying that with the first Gothic right?

That is right. But this game could be a kick in the ant hill and parts between developpers who still wish to deliver a game in which RP can take root and developpers who dropped the ball.

The video says that The Witcher is part of the communauty and I wonder what levels of interactions with the NPCs the player is offered to developp a credible character.

How real the NPCs activities are like collecting for real food, meaning you can waylay them later and so on…

Nevertheless, to developp an interactive world to which a player can refer to developp RP demands that a gameworld with NPCs routines, even fake, is provided.
First step before the second step.

Maybe this game will manage to put the RPG genre back on tracks.

routine maybe for the few games that fall into the same category i suppose. i'd say its still a small fraction even for "rpg" games though.

Looks very nice, but it's a trailer. When the actual game comes out, we'll know how nice it really is.

Motoki, yes, that's more the point but no that's not what I wanted wrote, but no matter it was more a joke.

For duplicate visual in TW1 your conclusion is a bit superficial, if it's just about making different visual it's easy but cost more. Conclude from that it was badly done is very very short, it's just an element, and there was good points you won't find in Ultima 7 nor G2+NOTR, like influence of weather.

That must be sarcasm, Radiant is the silliest AI I've ever met…

It is a stunning trailer, well done for the marketing. It reminds me of Gothic 1 and 2 in the behavior and daily routines of the people, but with cutting edge graphics.

I second that. Is it possible, that after 10 years someone will take the crown from Piranha Bytes?!

It's funny people didn't quote the Witcher 1 did many of that already.

That must be sarcasm, Radiant is the silliest AI I've ever met…

Beats the shit out of any Bioware game (+ most other RPG's) where the AI stands in one place day and night + with mods where they take advantage of it it's great fun imo. I can understand they had to dumb it down for consoles (AI takes a lot of CPU power when there's a lot of characters on screen).

Anyways this portion of the game looks great, gonna wait for a few reviews to see what they say about game world size since it's supposed to be smaller than Witcher 1.. probably won't end up buying it, but gonna give it a try at least ;)

So far, everything about TW2 sounds and looks amazing.. let's hope that it plays good as well.We shall see.

It was and still is my most anticipated RPG of the year(followed by Deus Ex), if it turns out to be a disappointment - then my faith(what little remains) in the gaming industry will start dwindling.

How exceptionally promising.
I'll be heartbroken if it turns out to be another "Oblivion". :p

Only one question about radiant AI: whether or not Bethesda has it operational in the version they depicted just before releasing Oblivion? Were their demos heavily scripted to sell something they have not or do they have radiant AI somewhere but can not apply it because of technological limitations (console)?

Because radiant AI was supposed to be something big, allowing NPCs to navigate through the gameworld on higher levels directives. A lot of potential for RP.

As for the Radiant AI in Oblivion, yes they had a working form of this. However, in testing they found out that their radiant AI behaved like -ahem- real people, meaning that people would steal things from their -cough- neighbour. Or just borrow them, and when people came back for their things, say a rake, or a thingie, when the other people wouldn't give it back, an argument, and then a fight, and I do mean a real physical fight
would start. An npcs would kill each other, the guards would react, and suddenly entire cities would not be -ahem- alive another.

As for npcs being allowed to go on with their daily lives, Gothic 1 did this, as well as I think, one of the Ultimas, Ultima 4 or Ultima 7, or maybe both did this?

I agree that the game The Witcher 2, looks amazing. I think, maybe partly this is due to the fact that CD Project decided to make their own game engine so they could design the game as they wanted it to be designed (made). Partly also, because CD Project RED is basically a huge company (they publish games as well, and have a lot of other incomes than just making games) which means that they can take their time making good games.

Well I've been playing preview copy for a while, and it does look&sound&feel exactly like the vids show. NPCs are on the light side dialogue-wise (only some of them have full dialogue interactions for quests and such), but other than that - they actually do go on with their daily lives; the butcher is cleaving pork, cook stirs the cauldrons and goes into lengthy debates with his wife regarding his cooking as art (and not just stirring), one guy starts the day by fixing his roof (and you can actually get on his roof too), the folks in nearby village do sleep, eat, and prepare their meals, then go out for daily harvests, villagers armed with crossbows are vigilantly patrolling the outskirts (yet totally passive when some bandits were chasing me, prolly cause bandits paid them off earlier heh), guards spend their days dozing off while supporting themselves on their rusty pikes, fishermen go fishing, etc., etc., etc.. There's literally NO NPCs that just stand there, aside from shop owners (and only during the day) who kinda need to be around their stalls for fear of robbery, but: here's a twist, a dwarf who sells books from his own house has no such qualms and roams about his house in a daily routine as well. Hookers walk the streets, drunks and muggers loiter about at night, and the ever-vigilant hand of the law is gently dozing off somewhere in the corners. Unless the Witcher takes out his sword. Then they're super alert of course :p

Oh and the kids. They're hilarious :D Some girl quipped while I was walking by, "Why two swords? Does he keep losing one?"

The first Witcher was the same.I see no difference.

Back
Top Bottom