Grim Dawn - If we had more money...

This feels like an indie who was almost done with their game, but is trying for a money grab instead of releasing their game and hoping for the best. I can't blame them, but I'm not buying.

Then again, I would only support games like M&M or TES kickstarter-wise so they're not really losing anything as much as not gaining.

I'm too much of a cynic/pessimist to pay for a game before it's finished, for the most part. I'm from Missouri, the SHOW ME, state :)

That said, I have a huge collection of crpg indies that I've paid for: Eschalon, Exile 1-3, Avernum 1, 2, 5, Geneforge 1,2,4, Excelsior, Tales of Yendor 1-3, WarWizard, Nahlakh, Natuk, etc.

I'm a likely purchaser if there's a final product, but a very unlikely supporter.

This feels like an indie who was almost done with their game, but is trying for a money grab instead of releasing their game and hoping for the best. I can't blame them, but I'm not buying.

You may look at it that way, but if they put the Kickstarter money into improving the "almost done" game then why not? We get a better game with more content...

I will buy the game anyway, but this way I think I will get more value for my money. As the game will probably be better, they will also sell more copies and make more money.

Then again, I would only support games like M&M or TES kickstarter-wise so they're not really losing anything as much as not gaining.

I'm too much of a cynic/pessimist to pay for a game before it's finished, for the most part. I'm from Missouri, the SHOW ME, state :)

That said, I have a huge collection of crpg indies that I've paid for: Eschalon, Exile 1-3, Avernum 1, 2, 5, Geneforge 1,2,4, Excelsior, Tales of Yendor 1-3, WarWizard, Nahlakh, Natuk, etc.

I'm a likely purchaser if there's a final product, but a very unlikely supporter.

It would be one thing if they were simply asking for donations, but in this case your donation of "X" gets you a discounted copy of the game.

It's quite similar to any other pre-order scheme, except it's quite far in advance and significantly discounted from the retail price.

You may look at it that way, but if they put the Kickstarter money into improving the "almost done" game then why not? We get a better game with more content…

I will buy the game anyway, but this way I think I will get more value for my money. As the game will probably be better, they will also sell more copies and make more money.

Kickstarter works for both of us then :) I save my money, but your money goes to make me a better game.

They have experience making good games, and unlike most Kickstarter projects they already have a lot of screenshots, in game videos etc.

The game looks great so far, and for me this is the most exciting indie game since Mount & Blade. With a bit of publicity, and the right presentation, this game should do better than Wasteland 2.

I bet you 1 million dollars it doesn't do as well as Wasteland 2. That is the dumbest statement I have ever read on this site. Sorry, not trying to be mean but that is just stupid. People will just buy Diablo 3. What is out right now that is a party based and also turn based? Nothing to my knowledge.

I bet you 1 million dollars it doesn't do as well as Wasteland 2. That is the dumbest statement I have ever read on this site. Sorry, not trying to be mean but that is just stupid. People will just buy Diablo 3. What is out right now that is a party based and also turn based? Nothing to my knowledge.

Well, I might be a tad too optimistic, but I think this project has a lot of meat on it, and I also think that there is a bigger market for these kind of games than for the likes of Wasteland. And whilst Wasteland 2 is an idea, a lot of work has already gone into Grim Dawn. If they can give a good presentation, which I expect, I'm confident that they will do well.

Personally I like both types of games, but given my long work hours I often just want to relax with a game that I can get right into for an hour or so before I go to bed. This means I will probably play Grim Dawn more than I will play Wasteland. Wasteland is the sort of game that I'll play when I have three or more days off (which only happens a few times a year).

I will buy Diablo 3 (at first on the PS3 though, as I think I will enjoy the multiplayer with my girfriend), but it won't stop me from buying Grim Dawn. The deciding factor on how successful it can be will be publicity, but I hope that Grim Dawn can get a lot of it.

Edit: the only indie I've been looking forward to as much as Grim Dawn is Kenshi. I wonder if it would be possible for them to do a Kickstarter as well (as they are selling the alpha version on Gamersgate I'm not sure). So far I've already bought it twice, but I would support it yet again on Kickstarter.

Yes, I do agree with you games like Diablo and Grim Dawn are great to play for like an hour at a time. Maybe the casual gaming crowd will push Grim Dawn's sales also. I just think every gamer in the age bracket of mid 30's to 50's will buy Wasteland 2. If you asked me a few months ago that I would give $500 to help make a game I would say that's crazy talk :-/!!!

I am happy to give back to a hobby that has brought me many years of happiness. Now, I just won't be able to enjoy my other hobby as much for the next few months. Strip Clubs and Hookers.............GIGGITY :blush:

It's been 15 years since Diablo came out and Titan Quest and Torchlight were arguably the best of the "Diablo Killers."

I hope they get more money to make Grim Dawn even better.

Think of it this way if they cancelled D3 today . Grim Dawn would be the very next best thing. I personally think this is going to better than D3. I will kick in 100 to start .Plus i already purchased 2 copies thats how much i love Titans Quest and the genre. I want Crate to to knock this game out of the ball park and show Blizzard how to stick to the roots of Hack-N-Slash ARPGs.

Back
Top Bottom