Skyrim - Falskaar Mod

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
It's time for another mod for Skyrim that needs attention and it's called Falskaar. The mod adds over 20+hrs to the game, and is made by a modder that wants a job at Bethesda.

It can be downloaded from Skyrim Nexus.

Falskaar is a new lands mod that adds an entirely new worldspace to the world. It's accessed by a dungeon the first time, then by boat from then on out. Falskaar's goal was to act as a DLC, adding content in almost every area. There is a new land, places, people, quests, dungeons and more for the player to experience. It adds roughly 20+ hours of content, and favors all types of characters.

Features

- An entirely new land independant of Tamriel, roughly the size of 2-3 Skyrim holds.
- 20-30+ hours of gameplay.
- 26 quests, including a 9 quest long main story, and 17 side quests! (Along with some unmarked content)
- New items including new books, recipes, weapons and armor sets. (A mix of brand new, and retextured)
- Two new spells and a new shout.
- A bard with several unique new songs.
- A soundtrack containing 14 brand new tracks composed by Adamm Khuevrr just for Falskaar, adding more than 40 minutes of new music!
- A fully voiced experience, featuring almost 30 semi-professional and professional voice actors and actresses.

Not all quests in this mod blatantly hold your hand. If you seem to be stuck, look around and think through the quest. All quests were rigorously tested for complete-ability, so it's more likely than not that you just have to figure it out without a blatant quest marker telling you what to do.

"I'm going to wait until the bugs have been patched."

With all due respect, prospective downloader, you are crazy! Falskaar was rigorously tested nonstop by a very dedicated quality assurance team for the entire duration of its development. This means that there are very few bugs, if any, that you will encounter. (This does not include mod compatibility issues, for which I can only test so much) Every quest was tested and ensured to function, every script should go off without a hitch, and your experience should not be marred by broken or buggy content. Granted this engine isn't exactly perfect, but this mod should provide a very polished experience, and expecting there to be bugs and waiting for them to be patched, in the case, is foolish! So get downloading, and get to adventuring!
More information.

Saw nothing new in the video. Perspective of cleaning another couple of caves with draurgs doest sound too exciting...

Falskaar was rigorously tested nonstop by a very dedicated quality assurance team for the entire duration of its development. This means that there are very few bugs, if any, that you will encounter.
You saying this guy wants a job at Bethesda?
They won't take him. He'd best them.

You saying this guy wants a job at Bethesda?
They won't take him. He'd best them.
I figured you would say that Joxer.:p The mod is actually almost bug free for me, but that's because I use a ton of mods.

Looks good - good way to apply for a job.

Yup, but not at Bethesda, they don't want all his (no bugs) skills.

Saw nothing new in the video. Perspective of cleaning another couple of caves with draurgs doest sound too exciting…

Well obviously part of the way a mostly one-man mod of this scale actually gets done without having a wildly distracting variation in art quality is by mostly leveraging existing models and assets. Unfortunately the mod profile video above doesn't do as good of a job showing off some of the relatively impressive and new-feeling places he was able to create - including some that do significantly deviate from the standard. That's best demonstrated by the dungeons and locations of importance to the main quests and I think perhaps that previewer avoided showing glimpses lest he accidentally spoil anything.

I suggest looking at the author's gameplay trailer as that also gives a feel for at least the themes the plot goes for as well as a wider selection of the dialogue and voice acting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gJiVKpLPYw

Among the same-ish places you do see in there, you'll get some brief glimpses of the more unique locations. I think those were more briefly teased to encourage people to actually find and explore them themselves.

Don't get me wrong though, it does have a lot of the same feel in the architecture as normal skyrim - at least in the "normal" places like small towns and secondary dungeons. Part of that feels like an attempt not to create something that feels entirely out of place in the game and fits with its design themes and styles. The actual level design though is pretty solid - more solid on average than compared to most of the dungeons in basic Skyrim though obviously they might not be as impressive expanses as Hag's End or Blackreach. It's worth a try; if you are looking for mods it's one of the most impressive content mods so far and if you're not looking for mods then I guess it wouldn't really matter if you found it interesting or not.

Edit: Also Falskaar doesn't have quite as extensive of a draugr infestation as Skyrim. I think those guys are to Skyrim as bedbugs are to NYC.

Sounds very impressive.

Althought IMHO they did miss out big time on the macro-level design. Everything looks pretty much identical to the landmass on Skyrim. And it would have been easy to give the mod a more distinctive landscape look, for example by emulating a more Gothic-style landmass.

Looks like a fantastic mod, I plan to try it. I wish the video did not include the spoiler about how to start the quest.

Back
Top Bottom