Will DLC spawning business ever be fair?

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I dunno. Honestly.
And afte so many posts where I hate both the word DLC and whatever is behind it, I just can't help myself not to open a thread about it so I don't have to explain every time what gets me mad.

And the reason is Kotaku's article about DLC:
http://kotaku.com/why-are-amd-and-nvidia-fighting-again-1594994388

There are many types of DLC and it's unfair towards players there is no real categorization. This article above pretty much sums up differences when it comes to DLC:
The term DLC has a lot of meanings these days. First, there are generally good (sometimes even great) add-on chapters like we saw with The Last of Us and BioShock Infinite. Then there are "explandalone" expansions like Assassin's Creed IV: Freedom Cry and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon that don't require the base game to play. And of course, there's the nickel-and-dime stuff, smaller map, weapon, item, and costume packs that are sold for debatably worthwhile prices in free-to-play games or full-price games like Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty. Sometimes it's hard to tell what's real and what's a joke. It's a mess, and it can be a pricey one.

They forgot to add the plague of so called season pass invention, something I find pretty scandalous as you're paying upfront for nothing but a price drop on something you don't even know what that something in the end will be.

Anyhow, I'm sick of the whole thing.
I play mostly singleplayer games and once I finish a game I want a proper sequel or a proper expansion where I don't need to install the game back just to experience some new crap item or a mission a few minutes long.

And now while writing about it I got angry. Again.
Instead of adding more bitterness now, I'll take a pause on this so I can return to it later with a cool head. If possible.

The only DLCs I buy are those from Paradox, as they expand the game in the way old 'expansions' used to do. Other than that, yes, once I play a game I uninstall it so I never buy DLCs.

I used a scientific approach to form an opinion and after endless sleepless nights I have a result which is displayed in this highly sophisticated chart:
dlc_chart.png

The only DLCs I buy are those from Paradox, as they expand the game in the way old 'expansions' used to do. Other than that, yes, once I play a game I uninstall it so I never buy DLCs.

There is plenty of DLC out there that expands the games like the expansions of yesteryear.
Bioshock Infinite has pretty good DLC
Skyrim has good DLC
Magicka has a mix of cosmetic DLC and full length campaign DLC

But as so many hate DLC because they've decided that DLC is bad, they chose not to see the good DLC. It's usually easy to tell if a DLC is "expansion sized" or just some small extras, and that is by looking at the price.

And don't tell me that there were no expansions that added similar things to what the cosmetic & other "minor" DLCs add, because there were:
like this one
several actually
The difference is that these days it's more viable to release more of those, together with major content DLC.

The only DLC I'm for is expansion content and they've been doing those since the early days especially for RPG's. I will never get the misc DLC crap that many games release with on day one and I don't understand why others would support such a practice.

Why should we be paying for items, side quests or a character that should be in the game already?

DLC developed afterwards is one fine but DLC for content already on disc is a scam.

There is plenty of DLC out there that expands the games like the expansions of yesteryear.
Bioshock Infinite has pretty good DLC
Skyrim has good DLC
Magicka has a mix of cosmetic DLC and full length campaign DLC

But as so many hate DLC because they've decided that DLC is bad, they chose not to see the good DLC. It's usually easy to tell if a DLC is "expansion sized" or just some small extras, and that is by looking at the price.

And don't tell me that there were no expansions that added similar things to what the cosmetic & other "minor" DLCs add, because there were:
like this one
several actually
The difference is that these days it's more viable to release more of those, together with major content DLC.

Well, what I meant to say was that I only buy DLCs for strategy games, not for RPGs, because once I see the story end, I uninstall the game and never go back. For Paradox strategy games, DLCs are perfect, as I play the game time and time again, with different countries, and DLCs usually focus on adding gameplay elements to sets of countries, so there is incentive for you to play one of them, keeping the game fresh.

Back
Top Bottom