Loki - Gold in Germany, New Screens

That does look interesting ... I will be curious to see how it turns out.

Yes, looks interesting. Maybe some of our German members will be checking it out and let us know.

This game is being talked up a good deal by the disgruntled, patch-wanting and not-getting Titan Quest forumites. Obviously, it shares many elements.

Somewhat off-topic, as crpg players who have heard about the niche, declining, dead crpg market ad nauseum, some may find this post by one of the Iron Lore developers a bit ironic; he mentions the "ARPG" as a dying genre...that the heyday of the top-down action rpg is over because of--yes, folks--the boundless eye-candy-infested, limitless world of Oblivion:

Excerpt:

I'd have to say that I believe the top-down ARPG market is probably dying out. I think top-down ARPGs could still make money if they were developed cheaply enough but I don't think they will ever again achieve sales like Diablo or even break a million copies regardless of quality....It is hard to compare TQ screenshots to Oblivion screenshots....top-down games just don't look as appealing. Seeing a screenshot of the horizon in Oblivion with mountains and forest in the background and a beautiful sunset just gives you the perception of a vast, open, living world that you're exicted to explore.... So, unfortunately, while I believe we succeeded in create some really fun gameplay, I think a lot of people who might enjoy the game will never buy it because it just doesn't look "sexy" enough. I'm sure the bright, happy, ancient world setting with no blood put some people off too. I guess it is a lesson learned much to our misfortune....

**sigh**

Somewhat off-topic, as crpg players who have heard about the niche, declining, dead crpg market ad nauseum, some may find this post by one of the Iron Lore developers a bit ironic; he mentions the "ARPG" as a dying genre...that the heyday of the top-down action rpg is over because of--yes, folks--the boundless eye-candy-infested, limitless world of Oblivion:

That is 'funny' how one of the top rated games in the most popular sub-genre of RPG is complaining like this.

Apparently THQ didn't think the title made enough money in sales and has pulled the cash support for any further patching( sound familiar?).

Personally I thought Titan Quest was pretty mainstream, tons of good reviews, on sale at WalMart, etc...I too thought it ironic that the genre could be described as 'dying'--how many action-rpgs does the Watch preview every week as compared to traditional crpgs? I guess most of them are not the big companies anymore, though.

Even Blizzard's new game is not action-rpg, but rts. Maybe that's why Roper and Flagship have revamped Hellgate:London into looking a lot more like a shooter with the over the shoulder camera, etc.

Ah well--the french have a word for it :) -the more it changes the more it's the same thing.

Back on topic: Looking forward to Loki as it looks like it may have a few twists not done before--the four character models actually having four different quests and environments sounds like some replay value.

Back
Top Bottom