Wasteland 2 - Interview @ Digital Spy

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The Digital Spy has another interview with Brian Fargo to talk about Wasteland 2.

"We're really revisiting what it means for a game to end," Fargo explained. "A lot of games say they have multiple endings, but they all happen at the end. You've done one of those - A, B or C - and that's it.

"Life doesn't work that way. If I go out and commit a crime right now, my ending and my life is probably going to prison right now. 80 years old is not going to happen, it's going to happen on this spot.

"We have endings for this game, we have one at five hours, we have one at ten hours, we have one at 20 hours, we have one at 60 hours, and we have derivatives along the way.

"We think that makes more sense than having an ending that happens at the very end, and that's something I haven't seen before. It's pretty innovative."

With the wide range of branching and large team working on the game, even Fargo doesn't know of every possibility Wasteland 2 offers.

"All these games become far bigger than one person," he said. "I'll never know everything that's in this game – even me, the creator behind it. What I do is set up the sensibilities and the teams.

"We want quests, we want events, this is how many, this is how we want them to roll, this is the morality stuff.

"Then the team, they start to hit their stride, and then it takes off, and it becomes so big. Even us playing our own game, we constantly see things that crack ourselves up that we hadn't seen before."

He added: "The possibilities of two people having the same experience playing this game is almost statistically impossible."
More information.

I've played the alpha and the beta of this game (starting again from scratch both time and going up to the point you reach the max allowed by the version, and using save games to test various branchings) but I really don't see how it can have a ending at 5 hours, another at 10 hours and another after 20 hours.
I guess it's a new feature on the final version... I can't wait to get it end of august !!

I think he's just playing with words. You can't have an actual "ending" during the game, at least not in a sense that is commonly meant by "ending". What he means is something like "presented consequences". The gamer lets player characters perform actions in the gameworld, leading to consequences, which are then presented to the gamer. That's basically what happens in every game (also in non-RPGs, apart from not having player characters in those games in general).

Perhaps W2 will feature a more outstanding presentation of these mid-game consequences, e.g. in illustrations as it has been done in The Witcher 1. But again, that's not like having "endings" in mid-game. And that's nothing that hasn't been done before.

Didn't know that and it sounds interesting.

I hope I'll change my mind about this game, though I doubt it. But I'll definitely give it a proper shot on release - seeing as how I've paid for it and all :)

Is this goign to be any good? I've read a lot of mixed comments. I've already purchased long ago so maybe it doesn't matter but if it sux maybe I should paly something else first ?
(I presume it will be out in 2 weeks?)

I'm sold on this game. I've avoided Early Access just like I did Divinity, and hopefully doing so is just a rewarding with Wasteland 2. Definitely a great time to be an RPG gamer.

Back
Top Bottom