Games to be remade from the past

Luethar

Watchdog
RPGWatch Donor
With the success of XCOM: Enemy Unknown, it got me thinking which games could use a true remake?

Here is my list:

Battles of Destiny -QQP
Wizard's Crown -SSI
Pool of Radiance - SSI
Colonization - Microprose

If these were re-made, and just the graphics and platform updated, I would be very happy. These were games from the past that I believe deserve a remake. I am not talking just a re-do using the Dragons Age or Neverwinter Nights 3 engine. I am talking a rebuilding with corporate backing.

What are your thoughts?

Lue.

System Shock

Ultima VII

Betrayal at Krondor

There's more, but I'm tired, and that's what comes to mind at the moment. :)

Not really interested in seeing games I loved turned into FPSs action twitch games

Welcome to RPGWatch!

Didn't Colonization get remade a short time ago as a Civ 5 expansion or so?

The problem with the SSI games is probably the necessary license.

System Shock

Ultima VII

Betrayal at Krondor

There's more, but I'm tired, and that's what comes to mind at the moment. :)

The Krondor lead designer will work on the upcoming Guido Henkel kickstarter game.

There are a few I'd like to see graphically "enhanced".
But if it'd mean additional conversion to consoles and iGadgets, then I'd say no, leave them untouched forever.

Some of those: Betrayal at Krondor, Return to Krondor, Anachronox.

A remake that would involve some gameplay changes (and an engine that isn't the reason of the unpickable loot bug) is needed for a few 1c RPGs. Dungeon Cleaners, Dungeon Cleaners 2 (Planet Alcatraz) and A Farewell to dragons.

A remake that would completely rewrite/rebuild the ground part of the game but leave the sea portion intact is needed for all Akella titles that are generally Sea Dogs (the first game plus later ones named differently).

Best remake so far imo:King's bounty.
I would really to see remake/sequel of Alpha Cenaturi and Masters of magic(I don't consider Warlock and Elemental worthy spiritual successors to MoM )

Colonization was remade as an expansion for Civ IV.

Every single gold box game and BaK would tide me over for years, if they were redone for current systems. WC was excellent as well, another I'd replay.

-Carn

I want the might and magic games converted to today's graphics. If you add a couple new dungeons that would be fine too :)

Definitely Arena and Daggerfall. I really like to finish them just for their historical value, but they are way too outdated even for someone like me who plays through pre-2000 games every now and then.

Wizardry 6/7/8
Final Fantasy 6 and 7
Thief
Baldur's Gate 1 and 2
Master of Orion… but not a perfect remake - do *something* so I can't just make a few super ships and go blow away all opposition with them.
Doom… though that might be what Doom BFG is. I really need to go look.
Oh, and the entire Elder Scrolls series.

Wizardry series and gold box games. Really there are a ton but those came to mind right away.

System Shock 2
(never played the first one)

Master Of Orion
(Were quicksilver allowed to touch any game after the disaster called moo3?)

Alpha Centauri with graphic colours that don´t get my eyes bleeding (loved the game when it came but could not stand the colours)

Deus Ex:HR restored my faith in redoing old classics

C

Definitely Arena and Daggerfall. I really like to finish them just for their historical value, but they are way too outdated even for someone like me who plays through pre-2000 games every now and then.

Those 2 are high on my list of games to remake as well. I tried Daggerfall, got to the first town and it was just too archaic for me to enjoy. Remakes of those 2 games would be amazing.

I'll throw out Pizza Tycoon as a game I'd like to see remade. I'm sure there's little demand for a pizza making sim, but it was a fun game back in the day and it would be cool to have an updated version of it.

Oh, another one that would be amazing to remake - Star Control II. I know they made the Ur Quan Masters, but I'd love to see that game remade with today's technology.

When I said re-make, I did not intend to make them twitch fests. I mean to keep them as they were in their glory days but upgrade their graphics without changing their mechanics.

For instance, the gold box games. Make them with 3D models, keep the turn based quality and tactical play but just make it look prettier. There was something about the massive battle at the well in Pool of Radiance 6 PCs vs 30 Kobolds and a Hobgoblin IIRC! Ahh the good ole days!

Lue.

emperor-of-the-fading-suns-6.jpg

Emperor of the Fading Suns
Fix the bugs, improve the AI, remove the possibility to abuse the church, make the church factions work as intended, and update the graphics. Emperor of the Fading Suns is one of those incredibly ambitious games that had a lot of potential. The game itself is quite good, but it could be so much better.

Back
Top Bottom