Good Old Games - Update, Video

Dhruin

SasqWatch
There's a new update at GOG reaffirming the official update on Wednesday but it's accompanied by a video...
We confirm that the official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events will take place on Wednesday at 12 p.m. EDT (6 p.m. CET)

Thanks for being with us. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDRvuKjissQ
EvilKoala points out an article at Neoseeker that slowed some of the images down, resulting in flashes of Baldur's Gate and what looks like a revamped GOG. So, the pendulum swings back to publicity stunt.
More information.

I would never support a company that pulled that crap, if this does indeed turn out to be a stunt.

I would never support a company that pulled that crap, if this does indeed turn out to be a stunt.

<Dramatically poses with eyes closed and back of hand on forehead>

<Faints>

<gets up to applause>

I was mad at first because of the vague wording in the first message, but this stunt worked big time. People who knew nothing about GoG now know about it from all the news being generated about its closing. I really don't know how they could have topped this kind of buzz going around the net.

I forgive them for this little stunt because in the long run it will probably bring in more customers and keeping GoG alive is more important than being able to access my downloads for a few freakin days or the fact that they didn't warn us ahead of time. I want to keep them going because they're the only company with the cajones to fix and sell old games. Everyone else only wants to deal in "next gen".

Plus, they did exactly what I wanted for me to forget about this stupid stunt? They're bringing in more games. Baldur's Gate anyone???? If they have Baldur's then it's only a matter of time before they'll have Planescape :D I'll even send them a big thank you if they get Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire in their catalog. I could never get those games to run properly on my latest rigs.

I knew they were crooks from the moment they started up. It was just a matter of time til they pulled something ridiculous like this.

May this be a nail in their coffin!

Oh come on w/ the drama already…

This isnt your girlfriend here betraying you or something. It's a company that made a ham-fisted attempt to create a stir, the likes of which blew up into a raging nerdstorm of a magnitude they didnt anticipate. Was it smart? Maybe not.

I say "maybe" for two reasons.

One, there are people like me that like GOG and what they offer. I see the forest thru the trees here. This is not crookery, it's a tasteless joke. If everything is fine and it's business as usual when they re-open I'll patronize them all the same. I tell tasteless jokes myself once and awhile.

Two, for all the people freaking out and calling for GOG's collective head on a platter, I predict that your resolution may just crumble in the face of awesome deals on crusty old software that's pre-patched to work on your brand new system. Now you'll just have to keep it secret and act all indignant when someone mentions a sale.

That's IF this all shakes out as we think it's going to

Clearly these people are the worst people in human history - ever. Yes, sure they have great products. Yes, sure their prices are great, and you get extras with most games. Yes, sure they have unlimited downloads, no DRM, and are arguably the most customer-friendly webshop in existence. But dammit, downloads have been unavailable for a few days! Clearly, this cancels out all the positives.

Kay

I think the stunt worked perfectly. It was in the front page of many news sites as a 'DRM wins' headline. They got a lot of publicity out of this.
Now, the not making you able to download your purchased games for a week or whatever it takes them to come back up, that's gotta have some repercussions.

A free download for everyone would be adequate compensation! :p

I hope hey will provide at least a manual for Age of Wonders.

As a Pole, I feel the need to apologize for the horrible non-sense of humour displayed by the folks running this conference. Somehow I feel ashamed myself.

edit: the site will be relaunched with one new game tomorrow at 1 PM GMT, that seems to be the whole message.

lol, wish i could see it

in: oh damn.... hahahahahaha....
I think i'll discontinue my purchases there lol

The stream is apparently full, some people are posting comments here.

Some stuff from the thread:
- GOG is coming back tomorrow and still DRM free.
- The site needed to be shut down for technical reasons.

Also, there was some ambiguous (for me) message about getting Baldur's Gate (or something else) for free; maybe someone else got that? Maybe I got it all wrong, don't get your hopes up.

Back
Top Bottom