S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Requires a ‘Permanent Internet Connection’

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well what do you know more studios are jumping on the always online drm. Seems that future people talking about is coming. Seems all I hear lately is news about poor ports and very restrictive drm

I'll eat my shoes if the console version will require this since we all know piracy doesn't exist on consoles right.

Link-http://kotaku.com/5847942/stalker-2-requires-a-permanent-internet-connection

Ah, another one. Sadly this becomes common practise.

The thing is Stalker is a niche game. It wont sell 2 million copy's like the other big boys. Now they will lose more sales due to this.

I usually don't rant and rave about drm, but the "always online" schemes are a huge red-flag for me - especially given the pure idiocy of having to be online for single-player game modes. And being a fairly niche title will only lead to potentially dire consequences for the developer; the big boys seem to mostly get away with this sort of thing, but smaller studios can't afford the negative backlash that will surely result from this news. I know that I won't be playing this game now.

That's another game I will never play. Way to drive away sales, guys.

I don't understand the emphasis on using this kind of DRM. If it's meant to stop piracy, nearly all of the games that use it are successfully cracked. So by doing this, developers not only can't stop the pirates, but they also make people who want to buy their game uninterested.

Ah they didn't want my money then.

Word on twitter from a dev is that this is a misquote. Wait for more info.

yeah cause false information never spreads...

and sites like kotaku, aka teen magazine for boys/men, are known for their journalistic merits

yeah cause false information never spreads…

and sites like kotaku, aka teen magazine for boys/men, are known for their journalistic merits

Believe it are not I dont care. You probably dont have a problem with the drm either.

Here is the twitter quote.
gsc’s twitter: “Stalkers I will confirm the legitimacy of the drm “news” next week

They dont conform or deny it. Just give a vague statement. I have heard this pr bullshit before and its always bad news.

They dont conform or deny it. Just give a vague statement. I have heard this pr bullshit before and its always bad news.

The way he puts "news" in quotes and such makes me think it was a misquote. However, he could be mocking the DRM info being news at all, as he thinks it is no big deal. That would be bad.

We'll see next week I guess.

Whether or not Stalker2 does this, I do expect to see more of it. Probably a LOT stronger, too. I'm expecting games to start keeping more and more of the content to themselves and having the game download the data as it plays. They might even start letting us have the actual game for free and just charge us for the account used to download the data - just like an MMO. With the faster internet speeds coming down the pike, that should actually work very well.

Don't like it? Can't say that I blame you. Feel free kick a pirate if you think it will make you feel better.

So cracking will be in my future? I never thought I'd say this, but if they pull this crap then I hope that the hackers/pirates can find a way to circumvent it.

I'll still pay for games that I really want like Stalker 2, but only when they go into the bargain bin and only if someone has made a way to get around this "always online" nonsense.

Whether or not Stalker2 does this, I do expect to see more of it. Probably a LOT stronger, too. I'm expecting games to start keeping more and more of the content to themselves and having the game download the data as it plays. They might even start letting us have the actual game for free and just charge us for the account used to download the data - just like an MMO. With the faster internet speeds coming down the pike, that should actually work very well.

Don't like it? Can't say that I blame you. Feel free kick a pirate if you think it will make you feel better.

It's most certainly the future, which is a shame because I can't support it with my money.

Just thought I would share a post off steam from a user called Naruzuru.

It's always the same old crap in these always-online drm threads.

The supporters can never give an actual good reason why they should use this particular type of DRM over another one other than "delaying" piracy. Which is what? 6 months at best? That is if they actually tried to come up with a new one instead of using the same one that's been cracked before.

The only thing they keep mentioning is how it's fine to use it because it doesn't affect them. Well here's news to you, it won't affect you either if they drop the always online DRM. So why are you so adamant about supporting something that undeniably affects a lot of other people? Do you have no empathy whatsoever?

It'd be fine if this particular system actually worked, but it DOES NOT.

- pirates still pirate the game shortly after release.
- there are better drms to prevent the second hand market.

No one is forcing you to not buy these games, so don't belittle us for standing up for what we believe in.

No matter how much you people say it's fine to you, it isn't to us. You have no reason to support it, we have every reason to change it.

He or she has the privilege of saying what people like me feel. I hate anything thing that has to do with online gaming that's right. I have a stable connection. I just hate online games or always connected online to play SP on principle.

So if your fine and say it doesn't bother you just know it bothers others. We dont want to support it.

When I saw cloud base gaming first announced I knew what kind of future was in store for us. Sad thing is people use it and embrace so we will be stuck with it.

Last edited:
When I saw cloud base gaming first announced I knew what kind of future was in store for us.

The future holds cracks. Lots and lots of cracks. I'll be damned if I'll play online when there are better options available.

Sure, they'll still get my money eventually, but only when that sucker is as low as it will go and only when there is a stable crack/hack/whatever to play it offline.

The future holds cracks. Lots and lots of cracks. I'll be damned if I'll play online when there are better options available.

Sure, they'll still get my money eventually, but only when that sucker is as low as it will go and only when there is a stable crack/hack/whatever to play it offline.

That's true also but remember when everything goes cloud base there will be no data on your system. You will have no data to crack.

In that case then I'll do without buying it at all. I pretty much figured indies were the way to go in the future or with companies like Stardock and CDP who may go against the coming DRM trend.

Yeah, going to cloud gaming really means the end of piracy. There will be no data to crack, you're just interacting with a video. Publisher's wet dream right there.

So cracking will be in my future? I never thought I'd say this, but if they pull this crap then I hope that the hackers/pirates can find a way to circumvent it.

I'll still pay for games that I really want like Stalker 2, but only when they go into the bargain bin and only if someone has made a way to get around this "always online" nonsense.

Cracking has sadly been a way for me to play many of my legitimate games already. From older games with DRM that does not play nice with modern OSs to Starforce, which has caused system instabilities for me in the past. If I know that a game has a DRM that I strongly dislike (always online, limited activations, starforce), then I'll either not buy the game at all, or wait for it to reach the bargain bins.

Back
Top Bottom