Dragon Commander - Five Insane Things

Dhruin

SasqWatch
PC Gamer has posted a Dragon Commander article titled Five Insane Things You Should Know About It. Let's go with #3, because you probably already know the first two:

It was prototyped with a board game…

…which Larian Studios Founder Swen Vincke hopes to release with the special edition and as a stand-alone product. OK, that’s not conceptually insane, but it does tell us something about Larian’s creative freedom and business sense. If they make something they think is fun, they want it out there.
The board game release isn’t solidified quite yet — Larian still has to decide who’s going to produce it — but Vincke has some options and sounded ecstatic about the idea.
Oh right, the non-board game: this is the tactical map, where troops can be shuttled around and RTS battles initiated. When you claim a new territory for your empire, you’ve got to keep it in check diplomatically, or by tossing a few occupiers in. These regions produce gold, and some contain factories which can be used to produce new units.
Head over for the screen of the tactical map.
More information.

I would totally buy a special edition with a board game.

Swen is a big time player of the board game Axis & Allies. At some point in the development he said that Dragon Commander should also be playable as a board game so he could play this with his friends. Apparently that had some impact on the development, but as they are self funding they can do things like this :)

Divinity 2 DKS had some pretty amazing things in it like turning into dragon,making your undead servant from different body parts,rhyming wizard ,sentinel island, list goes on.Looks like dragon commander is looking to top that.I love Larian's work(even by some much criticized beyond divinity ) I don't doubt both new games will turn out amazing(and probably initially bugy knowing them)

Last edited:
You know what I like the look of this, of course I am a board game fan myself. :)

Daniel.

I'd like to play this with friends, too. :)
The board game, I mean. :)

The board game release isn’t solidified quite yet — Larian still has to decide who’s going to produce it — but Vincke has some options and sounded ecstatic about the idea.
I hope Fantasy Flight Games is among them. They have a plethora of awesome looking Ameritrash games (I own Sid Meier's Civilization and Arkham Horror).

I'm going to wait for the demo to decide if I buy it. It looks good but I want to see how it plays first.

I hope Fantasy Flight Games is among them. They have a plethora of awesome looking Ameritrash games (I own Sid Meier's Civilization and Arkham Horror).

Um, I'm curious as why they are called amritrash games? I have seen i t used before but not sure why...

I have arkham horror as well, great game. I'm into thunderstone right now which is quite good. I need to try Talisman again.

I'm going to wait for the demo to decide if I buy it. It looks good but I want to see how it plays first.

This ^. DC looks good from what I've seen, but there are a few things I'm still not sure about. For instance, how the card system works and how much of an impact it has on gameplay.

I was also hoping for a RTwP system rather than a straight RTS game.

Um, I'm curious as why they are called amritrash games? I have seen i t used before but not sure why…

See Ameritrash definition at Board Game Geek. In a nutshell, they focus a lot on theme and dramatic gameplay. They are different, for example, from Eurogames (also called designer games), which are more abstract and feature streamlined and very balanced — often called "elegant" — rule sets.

Back
Top Bottom