RPG General News - RPG Do's and Don'ts @ eToychest

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Do’s and Don’ts: A Gamer’s Perspective: Role-Playing Games is the title of an editorial at eToychest. It's fairly JRPG-centric but does have a couple of valid points for western cRPGs and is an interesting subject to discuss. Here's a sample:
DON’T implement 1:1 scaling. It sucks and nobody likes it. Final Fantasy VIII had this and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has it as well. Basically, as the player levels up, so does every enemy in the game universe. So, if the player encounters a rat while, say, Squall is level one, the rat will also be level one. If they encounter this same rat at level ninety-nine, the rat will also be level ninety-nine. This tends to frustrate and annoy players more often than not. In Oblivion, scaling made the game waffle between being impossible to downright tedious, with players hacking at equally-leveled demonic fiends for tens of minutes on end.
More information

Well written, I agree with almost everything he has to say. Although he's fairly focused on Japanese RPGs, and I'm not, so the whole point about having original japanese voices and so on doesn't apply to me... the idea of hearing Xardas go on and on in Japanese is fairly redicilous, hehe.

Level scaling is indeed utter bull. I sincerely hope Bethesda won't implement it with Fallout 3 or TES 5.

Agree 100% with level scaling being a bad idea. I loved Oblivion, but it would be unplayable without one of the leveling mods. A leveling mod and BT's mod are mandatory to get decent enjoyment out of Oblivion.

DON’T include bulls*** items/rewards at the end of the game.

Agree - why am I getting Gold drops during the end-game when there is *no* possibility ot me seeing another vendor? This happens in most RPGs (DivDiv, G2, etc come to mind) and when you can't *do* anything with your character after winning, why should it matter? Drop something useful or nothing at all!

Back
Top Bottom