Cyanide Studios - Of Orcs and Men Announced

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We received several links about a new multiplatform RPG titled Of Orcs and Men, today. Apparently the concept and production come from Cyanide (Game of Thrones RPG) and the actual development is from Spiders (Faery and a hackn'slash called Mars we mentioned a while back). Here's the press release:
PARIS - May 2, 2011

Of Orcs and Men is a great new role-playing game, jointly developed for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC by Cyanide Studios (Concept and Production) and Spiders (Realization and Development). These first images give an early preview into a brutal world at war, where the Empire of Men’s oppressive threat looms over the territories of the Orcs and the Goblins. Goblins are systematically persecuted and slaughtered, while Orcs not killed in battle are captured and enslaved.

Of Orcs and Men first puts you into the role of an elite Orc soldier from the legendary legion of Bloodjaws, a league of warriors deeply involved in the war opposing the Orcs and Goblins on one side to their persecutors, Humankind. As a veteran warrior who has seen the most brutal of battles, you are appointed by the Orc commander to complete a mission that could change the course of the war: kill the one man responsible for all of this bloodshed, the one who has, for years, exhorted the human masses to loath and fight the green-skinned people: the Emperor himself.

A Goblin will soon join you to aid you in your mission… he is everything the Orc is not. But you find that this works to your advantage as you fight on the battleground and off. Taking advantage of their natural traits, they have their own skill trees you will develop. While the Orc focuses on power, reflecting his incredible strength, the Goblin will benefit from darker powers and stealth abilities, making him the perfect assassin.

From the filthy alleys at the foot of the Great Wall, to the depths of the Empire of Men, your two infiltrated heroes will face the greatest dangers through their epic quest. They will commune with the Wizards, fight the assassins and soldiers of the Empire of Men, and oppose the powerful Sisters of Laments.

As the world falls into chaos and you face a cruel and merciless humanity bent on eternal persecution of Orcs and Goblins, your unlikely duo will have one last chance to change the course of History and, hopefully, bring peace between your peoples.

Of Orcs and Men is scheduled for a Spring 2012 release on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.
zohaib sent in the same news, which he saw at GameBanshee, where they have the first screens.
More information.

Not trying to pick on this game or anything, but sigh, please, can we get something besides (dark-)fantasy? I want lasers! Or gangsters! Or hell I don't know, dolphins. Ok, I realize why those games don't get made, but lasers 'n' guns is a pretty solid bet, and woefully underrepresented in the rpg field.

This game does NOT appeal to me in the least!!

Not trying to pick on this game or anything, but sigh, please, can we get something besides (dark-)fantasy? I want lasers! Or gangsters! Or hell I don't know, dolphins. Ok, I realize why those games don't get made, but lasers 'n' guns is a pretty solid bet, and woefully underrepresented in the rpg field.

I agree 100%. I used to not play as many games but lately, like the past year or so, I have been playing more and thus looking to buy more. As I expand my view out into the indie scene and the smaller developer scene all I see are more fantasy games, which is really a bummer.

Where are the unique settings in RPGs?

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this but I have played hundreds of fantasy rpg's and want to play hundreds more. I have zero intrest in any other setting in rpg's. Leave sci-fi and gangsters for fps. Guns work best in fps anyway. I can understand others wanting some variety but I personally have only been drawn to fantasy rpg's. I'm not saying in anyway that they shouldn't make any only that I wouldn't be interested.

At least you're an orc in this one that is a little different.

I like the setting as well.

Thanks for posting this, Dhruin.

Last edited:
I've hear about this a couple of days ago and I think I like the idea of it. It's of course to early to tell but at least the premise is something different this time.

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this but I have played hundreds of fantasy rpg's and want to play hundreds more. I have zero intrest in any other setting in rpg's. Leave sci-fi and gangsters for fps. Guns work best in fps anyway. I can understand others wanting some variety but I personally have only been drawn to fantasy rpg's. I'm not saying in anyway that they shouldn't make any only that I wouldn't be interested.

I agree. It's a different world and they're far from all the same, anyway. I like the fantasy settings. I don't like lasers. They are underrepresented, but I don't care personally.

This doesn't look bad. although the studios behind this game don't have a very shining past. ( let's hope they surprise us with this game ) also it looks like you can't use magic in the game which is disappointing.
But overall, the game sparked my attention. I will wait to see how it turns out.

Ah, another "dark & gritty" game ?

This "Dark Fantasy" thing seems to be caught be more and more developers ...

At least you're an orc in this one that is a little different.

I like the setting as well.

Thanks for posting this, Dhruin.

Glad it's not just me, seemed like a relatively original twist on this one.

Yes, I agree, it's growing on and on since several years now.

When will the peak be reached ?

I will be watching for further news. Thanks for posting about it.

I have no problem with dark fantasy or just fantasy settings but I have to admit why isn't there more sci-fi or steam punk settings. It baffles me. Still you get to play as an orc instead of being forced to play as a human.

I agree, this is by far my favorite setting but the setting is not the end all be all. I'll play an RPG about Rats and Cats if the quality is good. Just make a great game with an indepth story and immersive world, thats all i ask. I could play 50 different LOTR RPG's if they were made in hopes of finding those gems in the rough that leave a lasting impression and can be revisited again.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

I love fantasy setting as well for rpg. Its my favorite for sure. But the very traditional is the ones I like, no guns for example, none of the steampunk nonsense, no anima garbage, just traditional wizards, monsters, dungeons, etc. It never gets stale for me.

But I don't object to the sci fi setting, there haven't been a ton of rpg games in this setting, need more.

I'm surprised so many agree I thought i'd get torched for sure.:)

I don't have high hopes for that game. Developers are from the team who have made Silverfall and Loki. Both of them are mediocre action RPGs (Silverfall is slightly better than Loki with vast environments and technology-magic conflict theme, but level scaling is terrible.)

Back
Top Bottom