Arcania - Best Console Game @ German Developer Awards

Strange that PB gets the recognition it deserves in Germany, but almost no other place.

They deserve this reward and I can't wait for their new game.

They probably think piranha bytes made Arcania,Spellbound made the piece of crap that shouldn't even be part of the series.

The web site must've been changed a bit since this afternoon - because it doesn't show the 2nd and 3rd prizes/places anymore.

Drakensang The River Of Time won 3rd both in "Best Game Design" and in "Best Story", if I remember correctly.

I can only assume there isn't a huge selection of console games in Germany. ;)
I dunno, to be honest. Having a look at all the nominations etc make me think it's exclusively about German developers (Which is also implied by the name).

I could be wrong but isn't the PC market much stronger in Germany?

Wow...Arcania is a fun little romp if you pretend the developers were trying to create a ironic cliched game (think Grotesque Tactics, Deathspank). But to think it actually would win best console game? Oh man, think of how horrible the other games must have been!

You guys be the judge, here are the nominees:

ArcaniA - Gothic 4
Crazy Machines Wii
Galaxy Racers
Moorhuhn - Jahrmarkt Party (trans: Moorhuhn - Funfair)
Moorhuhn – Das Verbotene Schloss (trans: Moorhuhn - The Forbidden Castle)
Summer Challenge - Athletics Tournament
The Kore Gang
Willkommen in der Steinzeit (trans: Welcome to the Stone Age)

From that list I would also choose Arcania. Even though I haven't played it. I wouldn't even consider buying the other ones.

Despite the negative direction Arcania has gone through, I'd probably buy it when there are no other RPGs released (probably sometime in July 2011). And ofcourse I would buy it on the PC.

Anyway, it also is a fundamental problem with Public Voting. To honestly choose would mean that you have played all of them. Instead people would even vote for the only game they played. Or choose the game that's on their favorite console. I don't own any current-gen consoles, despite that I still vote in console or xbos/ps3 categories, I often end up voting for games that have also been released for PC to reward if there are no exclusivity deals. But, for example I have a hard time choosing games in the sport category.

This discussion is only about the public voting console category. PC category was won by a empire building game. And Drakensang: TROT won the RPG category. So there is not neccasarily anything wrong with their taste in PC or RPG games.

The biggest RPG turd on the PC could still be most enticing when compared to the party game hell on the consoles.

That's the best German developers have offered the consoles this year? Damn, that's pathetic. No wonder Arcania won.

The PC is far more popular then Consoles in Germany so that is probably why there isn't much of a selection of Console games being developed in Germany.

Well, that is sad. Based on the demo and everything I have read about the game, Arcania seems at best to be a very mediocre game. The reviews seem to confirm this. It's apparently a somewhat weak action RPG consisting primarily of irrelevant fetch quests and poorly acted cut-scenes. The only remarkable thing about it seems to be how far they have moved from the games to which this is supposed to be a sequel.

Kay

We may not have the best games here in Germany, but at least we have an award!

I could be wrong but isn't the PC market much stronger in Germany?

Ha, ha, you're joking, right ?

What have I and the other Germans on this board been talking about for months now ?

Don't people actually read what I write ???

Sorry, about getting emotional burt … this is to me as if I had been talking to a wall of bricks lately.

A strong market doesn't mean that you've got many developers here…

Right. The market is - of course being dominated by forreign developers - oh wonder !

The only genre where German developers are more or less big is the adventures market.

Anyway, it also is a fundamental problem with Public Voting. To honestly choose would mean that you have played all of them. Instead people would even vote for the only game they played. Or choose the game that's on their favorite console.

I have seen a similar flaw - as I voted myself, long ago.

Dont know how it happened but I made a huge error. I read Risen instead of Arcania :p
So Ignore my comment :p

Back
Top Bottom