RPGWatch Feature: Best RPG of 2009 Results

I can't believe such a bland game as Drakensang scored 4th place.
I don't care if it's "indie", it has almost any typical flaw of mainstream brainless games without scoring in any oustanding strong feature.

I don't care if it's "indie",

Drakensang is NOT "Indie" !

Drakensang was produced by one of Germany's biggest game-producing companies !
(As far as I know; Gorath might know it better then me, I guess.)

And it was very successful in Germany !

Drakensang is NOT "Indie" !

Drakensang was produced by one of Germany's biggest game-producing companies !
(As far as I know; Gorath might know it better then me, I guess.)

And it was very successful in Germany !
I think he means it wasn't AAA like Dragon Age.
I think it had quite low production cost which is evident from the absent of voice overs.

crpgnut said:
If they just called it Favorite Game that we covered of 2009, then maybe it'd get a few more votes
If we had such a poll Plants Vs Zombies would be the winner hands down!

If we shouldn't cover KB because it's a strategy game with some RPG elements, then we sure as hell shouldn't cover Mass Effect 2 since it's a shooter with some RPG elements.

Do you guys really have 54 editors? Or did you weight the votes on the editor's forum somehow?
The votes are weighed. As there aren't enough of us to create an actual list, we get to select 3 games with weighing factors of 5, 3 and 1.
I think you are the first who ever noticed ;)

I forgot to add the awards that were done by Jimmith to the article when it was created. I've added them now.

I think it had quite low production cost which is evident from the absent of voice overs.

It had to, because Radon Labs isn't EA !

Now, does this mean that the majority will preised AAA games backed up by a millions-of-dollar companies over everything else ?

Does this mean that gamers are damning games that have not the money of a powerful and rich company behind them as crap ?

Has the mind-set of the "crapification" (calling everything "crap" that doesn't appear as if it was made by a millions-of-dollar company) evolved so far that gamers are happy to call EVERYTHING "crappy" that isn't able to feed/satisfy their luxury-overfed tastes ?

Is this the new sport ? "Happy slapping" in terms of "calling everything crap" ?

Alrik, youre flipping out over nothing. He's just saying the cost, literally what it costs to make the game, was significantly lower than an AAA title. Not the percieved quality.

You thinking it so, does not make it so.The facts are clear.

the fact is KotC's combat is better than many recent RPG with their boring RtwP combat, and better use of of ruleset while Dragon Age combat is like generic MMO, there is no contest.

Knight of the Chalice combat was far superior to Dragon Age in every way…..

Oh, come on. The combat was excellent and there was a nice sense of adventure. I used one of my votes on it. But there's no way it has better writing or more interesting characters or a bunch of other things. Let's be reasonable.

Regarding Risen and G1 & 2
"although perhaps just a little of the magic has been lost in repetition"

I could play new game after new game with this very engine and PB's awesome ability to create immersive worlds and never tire of it.

We all know what happened when they tried to change things too much.

my 2 cents

It had to, because Radon Labs isn't EA !

Now, does this mean that the majority will preised AAA games backed up by a millions-of-dollar companies over everything else ?

Does this mean that gamers are damning games that have not the money of a powerful and rich company behind them as crap ?
What are you blabbing about? I think Drakensang is a bad game precisely cause of its cheap gameplay and game design.
Don't even try to sell anyone who's criticizing it as a silly graphic whore.

Oh, come on. The combat was excellent and there was a nice sense of adventure. I used one of my votes on it. But there's no way it has better writing or more interesting characters or a bunch of other things. Let's be reasonable.

They were just talking about combat systems.

To me the sense of adventure in Dragon Age is destroyed by absurd invisible walls and people with arms like apes and some stupid moments, I also think the combat is quite lame, actually.

Gothic 3 was ambitious – even innovative – but lost sight of some of the core values that fans held dear
Such as…?
I could play new game after new game with this very engine and PB's awesome ability to create immersive worlds and never tire of it.
I don't get it why people find PB's worlds so ''immersive''? They have got almost no lore (expect for the mention of certain gods in Gothics), dialogues are dull and badly written (or poorly translated), characters totally undeveloped, quests unimaginative… The list goes on. Everything expect combat and exploring is done completely amateurish. Yeah, Dragon Age's got invisible walls, but the world feels alive, it has history, characters actually have some character… That's immersive.

Last year, I only played Risen and DAO, and the latter is far superior. That's a fact. Risen's only better at exploring (and you can say it's got a better combat system if you don't like your combat tactical).

I don't get it why people find PB's worlds so ''immersive''? They have got almost no lore (expect for the mention of certain gods in Gothics), dialogues are dull and badly written (or poorly translated), characters totally undeveloped, quests unimaginative… The list goes on.

It doesn't even sound like you've played them.

Dragon Age's got invisible walls, but the world feels alive, it has history, characters actually have some character… That's immersive.

No… actually that's subjective. :)

Last year, I only played Risen and DAO, and the latter is far superior. That's a fact.

No, that's your opinion.

Beat me to it ... the only 'fact' is that YOU like Dragon Age more ;)

Back
Top Bottom