BioWare - Alerting Customers About Recent Hack

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
You all know by now that Bioware was hacked. Bioware is now announcing this fact and sending out emails to their customers. The gist of the emails is to change your passwords for your own protection. Here is the email I received from Aaryn Flynn GM BioWare E. minus a few links:
We recently learned that hackers gained unauthorized access to the decade-old BioWare server system supporting the Neverwinter Nights forums. We immediately took appropriate steps to protect our consumers’ data and launched a thorough ongoing evaluation of the breach. We have determined that no credit card data was compromised from the servers, nor did we ever have or store sensitive data like social security numbers. Our investigation shows that information such as user names, encrypted passwords, email addresses, mailing addresses, names, phone numbers, CD keys and birth dates from these forum accounts on the system may have been compromised, as well as other information (if any) that you may have associated with your EA Account. In an abundance of caution, we have changed your password to ensure account security. Please visit this XXX to reset your password immediately.
We take the security of your information very seriously and regret any inconvenience this may have caused you. If your username, email address and/or password on your EA account are similar to those you use on other sites, we recommend changing the password at those sites as well. We advise all of our fans to always be aware of any suspicious emails or account activity and report any suspicious emails and account activity to Customer Support at 1-877-357-6007.
If you have questions, please visit our FAQ at http://support.ea.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5367/ or contact Customer Support at the phone number above.

Aaryn Flynn
Studio GM, BioWare Edmonton
VP, Electronic Arts
I don't trust emails that ask me to do anything to my password so I went to the site myself and did it then. Turns out that I was just being a little paranoid since this is a legitimate email from them. I would encourage anyone who hasn't done so to change their password just to be on the safe side.
More information.

Yeah, I got this as well last night. Considering it was a) in my junk mail folder and b) only being received now, over a week (?@!?) following the incident, I thought it was a scam.

Last edited:
Exactly what I thought.

I wouldn't have added the "recently learned" part. If they just recently learned about it then there is something very wrong. My cat knows they've been hacked by now. She couldn't care less, but she knows :D

I think the term is "spoofing" when you send a link to what looks like one website but is really another. Clearly EA is not doing this. I've clicked on it about resetting my password and for some reason its not giving me the option it says it is. so weird.

I'm not surprised EA doesn't have any foresight to what this looks like. A company that big is often out of touch.

But there is another part of this news that actually should interest us directly: EA is reviving the Origin name. Here's return email I got this morning (I was going to submit this as news until I saw Rat's post here):

Hi [my email],

EA Download Manager

origin_email_logo_en_US.jpg

In the coming months your EA Account and profile will be upgraded to a new Origin Account.

Your identity, order history and preferences will remain unchanged and we will notify you via email when this transition takes place.

The EA Download Manager is also now called Origin. Use it to download and play PC games from anywhere in the world.

You received this email because someone tried to log in to the account associated with this address and requested a password reminder.

If this was you and you want to reset your password, please click the URL below. If it is not clickable, please copy and paste the URL into your browser's address bar:

So Origin goes from a software company to a download manager complete with a new hurricane logo.

got the same mail and changed my password.

Didn't get anything yet - oops, what does this tell about me ? :lol:

No email from BioWare, though I did get an email from Sony saying Star Wars: Galaxies is pulling the plug at the end of the year.

I got one yesterday but couldn't be bothered to change it yet...

Back
Top Bottom