State of the RPG @ GamePlayer

magerette

Hedgewitch
Aussie site Gameplayer posts an article examining the future of both the J-RPG and the Western variety, involving developers like Lionhead, Square Enix, Bethesda, and Mistwalker and concluding that 2008 will be the year that the Xbox becomes the RPG platform of choice. (At the end of the article are the series of interviews on which it is based for those interested in more detail.)
Part of the article examines specific upcoming games. Here's a short excerpt on the Alien rpg from Obsidian:
At the other end of the spectrum is the none-more Western Aliens-licensed RPG. It’s being published by SEGA and produced by Obsidian Entertainment, the guys behind Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: Sith Lords. An all-new adventure, it seems that Aliens RPG is more likely to be an action, rather than turn-based RPG, although there will certainly be some strategic element to the combat.
Think Aliens is a weird choice for an RPG? Lead designer Josh Sawyer doesn’t: “It’s always seemed like a perfect fit to me… Somebody has to make an RPG where the moment-to-moment gameplay is both visceral and fun.” Exploring a ruined space hulk or a ravaged planet stuffed with those acid-bleeding xenomorphs could undoubtedly be cool.
More information.

I probably should have phrased that more diplomatically, eh? But I think the subtitle (2008: the year Xbox takes control of the RPG) would have blown it anyway. :)

This guy is about five years too late. The PC RPG went on life support a long, long time ago.

Exploring a ruined space hulk or a ravaged planet stuffed with those acid-bleeding xenomorphs could undoubtedly be cool.

Since when does this constitute an RPG?

Hence, I say we start burying the project already. xD

They can name the shitbox whatever they want, aslong as its jrpg and braindead stuff who cares. The problem really is that no matter what platform, the stuff released is junk.

Since when does this constitute an RPG?

That is a setting and you could make a great RPG in such a setting. You could also make a great adventure game or FPS or strategy game. Or some sort of hybrid.

Back
Top Bottom